Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL equipment  (Read 68081 times)

pompey phill

• OH UR !! it's only me !!
[LEL17] LEL equipment
« on: 26 November, 2008, 04:59:10 pm »
 hello all,
I’ve been riding Audaxes for about a year now, and very foolishly I singed up for the LEL soon after starting, (something to aim for),  I feel very confidant that I can complete this ride, what with my training I’ve started and also planned over the coming months.
However I have a few nagging questions that I hope you lovely helpful lot can help me with??
1. will a basic Garmin Etrex  hold enough waypoints/ track points (what are the differences)  to help me on the LEL ? I would like to use it as an aid to the route sheet and maps.
2.  What would be the best lighting solution? I’m very keen on the Dynohub approach, as I would like to incorporate it on to me daily commute bike as well, but as I ride on unlit country lanes I need a good bright light.

3. Will a big old Carradice saddle bag like the super C and a handlebar bag be adequate? I currently use the Barley and I love that.

"Yer but this goes up to eleven !!!"

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: LEL equipment
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2008, 06:03:10 pm »
Phil,

Have you done much in the way of long distance rides already?

I'm sure someone will jump in with an opinion on answer to all of your questions but a lot of the questions you ask will only be answered if you try things out for yourself - especially through longer rides and riding through the night.

If it helps:

1. I don't use a GPS so can't help there.
2. Some people use dynohub lighting and some battery powered lighting for riding through the night.  As you long as you use a technology that allows you to see well enough to keep up a reasonable pace, the decison is down to personal preferrence and both do the same job.
3. I have seen people use rack and handlebar bags and I have seen people with nowt but a Barley. It depends on how much kit you normally carry or feel you need for a 1400k ride with one free bag drop at Dalkeith.

If you are based in Pompey, I go out on a ride every Wednesday night which would be an ideal opportunity for you to try out different drinking lighting solutions.

PM me for details.

H

« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2008, 06:08:29 pm »
On the subject of GPS, have a look at the GPS board in The Knowledge and at the AudaxUK GPS pages.

The short answer is yes, you should be able to manage with an Etrex. Whether you use tracks or routes is probably down to personal preference.

Hummers seems to have answered the other questions.

Dave

PS You could have a look at the dynamo lights thread in the knowledge for some idea about dynamo lighting. Also, look for the thread about the IQ Cyo, which seems to be the best price/performance compromise at the moment.

frere yacker

« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2008, 06:14:23 pm »
hello all,
I’ve been riding Audaxes for about a year now, and very foolishly I singed up for the LEL soon after starting, (something to aim for),  I feel very confidant that I can complete this ride, what with my training I’ve started and also planned over the coming months.
However I have a few nagging questions that I hope you lovely helpful lot can help me with??
1. will a basic Garmin Etrex  hold enough waypoints/ track points (what are the differences)  to help me on the LEL ? I would like to use it as an aid to the route sheet and maps.
2.  What would be the best lighting solution? I’m very keen on the Dynohub approach, as I would like to incorporate it on to me daily commute bike as well, but as I ride on unlit country lanes I need a good bright light.

3. Will a big old Carradice saddle bag like the super C and a handlebar bag be adequate? I currently use the Barley and I love that.

1. Yes, likely
2. Hornets nest.  I use dynohub, others use battery setups (particularly lithium)
3. Yes.  LEL has a bag drop facility

« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2008, 08:53:34 pm »

Depends on how much stuff you want carry and how you plan your bag drops. It would be enough for me. In 2005 I used a small rack pack only. USe the rides before hand to test various pieces of equipment to decide what you will and will not need to carry. Travel light.

« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2008, 01:01:21 pm »
Vorsprung's post gives some top tips to which I would add that even though you will sleep less than normal on a long ride such as LEL try to sleep in the middle of your usual sleep period.  eg if you normally sleep 11pm till 5am then 12.30 till 3.30 will just feel like a short night's sleep.

I find that my body is happy to function well enough for cycling on three hours per night but you will only find that out by riding a SR series yourself. 

Barley should be enough with the bag drop.

Quality lighting set ups are getting cheaper all the time but I would not recommend something specially for LEL.  If you have a light set up that works for you on a reasonably long dark commute then it will probably be OK for LEL (as long as the power source isn't a car battery!) 

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2008, 10:12:53 am »
I thinking about a DIY bag drop, taking an old pannier to one of the earlier controls possibly Lincoln with a change of kit, some energy drinks, snacks etc. and leaving it there to pick up on the way back. The bag drop included in the entry will be left further up the road.

radelwombat

• toptubeteabag
« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2008, 09:51:51 pm »
Hi

I need new shoes for the coming season and LEL could somebody recommend me a pair?
I hava a comfortable pair of racing shoes with a carbon sole but they're no use for walking in and I have a horrible pair of runner-like MTB shoes that my feet get really hot in and always cause ankle problems on long hauls. Is there something in between?...touring shoes?

Any feedback welcome

Radelwombat

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2008, 09:55:54 pm »
The big hit of PBP was SPD sandals

Stylistically foul, but for 4-5 days of wet roads they can't be beaten.  Some people with real shoes & socks suffered quite horrible foot rot.  :sick:

Otherwise a decent pair of SPD shoes.  I've used Diadoras but there's a world of choice depending on your budget and foot shape

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 10 December, 2008, 10:14:55 am »
Hi

I need new shoes for the coming season and LEL could somebody recommend me a pair?

My favourite shoes for the summer are specialized comp MTB

They are very rigid, they have recessed cleats so you can walk on them if you so desire and they have mesh panels for cooling

The Mechanic

« Reply #10 on: 10 December, 2008, 10:28:48 am »
+1 for the Spesh MTB shoes.  I think mine are the Sport ones, approx 60 quid.  Very comforable.  I use them with either M520 spds or A520 touring pedals.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 10 December, 2008, 10:40:28 am »
The big hit of PBP was SPD sandals

Stylistically foul, but for 4-5 days of wet roads they can't be beaten.  Some people with real shoes & socks suffered quite horrible foot rot.  :sick:

+1 on the sandals.  If you've never tried them, I highly recommend them.  I did PBP and TRAT in sandals, as well as a lengthy tour this summer and have never suffered a moment's foot trouble with them.  Mind you - if you wear 'em all summer, this happens  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2008, 10:55:31 am »
<mode Dissent=On>
When suffering from what was later determined to be Persil-induced foot-BLEAN, I effected the purchase of a pair of SPanDals and accompanying pedals.  To one who has been using Looks for fifteen years the itty-bitty clippy bit was an absolute sod to clip into and the sandal itself caused my right foot to go numb five km into a 300.  The moral here is to never buy shoes on teh Intarwebs.

Thing 1 is now the owner of said kit and has not yet killed me, so I imagine him to be happy.  With it.
<off>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 10 December, 2008, 11:01:34 am »
  Mind you - if you wear 'em all summer, this happens  :)

:o

The horror, the horror !

I hope that never happens to my toenails.

Really Ancien

« Reply #14 on: 10 December, 2008, 11:11:14 am »
I have daft feet with very high arches which collapse after extended exercise, causing serious pain. I find that having an orthotic insert under the arches helps, I got the biggest ones I could from Scholls and transfer them between shoes. Rigid soles are useless unless the foot has contact with the insole and is capable of resisting twisting moment via the pedal, otherwise strain is placed on the tendons of the ankle joint. All this adds up to size 50 Sidis in the wide 'mega' fitting, so that I can experiment with insoles, and Look cleats to keep the feet in position.

Damon.

« Reply #15 on: 10 December, 2008, 07:33:09 pm »
I hava a comfortable pair of racing shoes with a carbon sole but they're no use for walking in and I have a horrible pair of runner-like MTB shoes that my feet get really hot in and always cause ankle problems on long hauls. Is there something in between?...touring shoes?

I'm completely satisfied by the own brand Decathlon MTB shoes. A decent thick and stiff sole with enough space to use inserts if needed. And to top it off, a very nice price.

radelwombat

• toptubeteabag
« Reply #16 on: 11 December, 2008, 10:44:03 am »
thanks for the feedback!
maybe the sandles are the way to go with wooly socks for the hills  ;D

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 13 December, 2008, 05:20:34 pm »
At Mel's request the LEL equipment & LEL preparation threads have now been split, so she can try to address the issues separately.

If I've messed up and left a post in the wrong thread (it's not a directly straightforward split) let me know.

« Reply #18 on: 27 December, 2008, 11:47:24 am »

As long as it is software version 3.xx then it will be ok (check by going to Setup -> System). The version 2.xx software only allows one route of 50 points.

I've got a basic Garmin Etrex and I've used it for all rides including an SR series with no problems. I'm also planning on using it for LEL. With a pre-planned route there just isn't any need for mapping or auto-routing. I'll just carry a map and routesheet as a backup.

I use routepoints placed one per routesheet instruction. I don't bother with tracks made up of trackpoints, other people do.

The basic Etrex can take up to 20 routes with a total of about 1000 points with no route containing more than about 120 points. I was going to split the route into 5 or 6 chunks at controls to keep within these limits.

[EDIT] For example, here's the route I used for London (we started by Clapham Common) to Thorne. 167 points (150 from Cheshunt). The further North you go the fewer points you'll need as roads get more sparse. I had to split this into two to get it into the GPS.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

radelwombat

• toptubeteabag
« Reply #19 on: 02 January, 2009, 05:59:04 pm »
I use routepoints placed one per routesheet instruction. I don't bother with tracks made up of trackpoints, other people do.

How do you generate the Waypoints?
I have a blue Garmin Legend which has a limted map and track capacity but works fine. I've been using the opens street maps on my unit but I notice the route fo LEL isn't completely in OSM yet. Is there anybody active here? I haven't entered streets yet in OSM but I'm going to give it a go soon with some roads I gathered over christmas. The OSM maps are much nicer on the my GPS than the original Mapsource maps.

« Reply #20 on: 28 January, 2009, 11:16:58 pm »
hello all,

I am planning to do the ride on a "singlespeed". Granted that gear choice is entirely driven by personal choice and ability, I would be very interested to know if anyone else is aiming to ride singlespeed as well and what their gear choice is going to be.

My current gearing is 48x19 but I may drop down to 48x22.  I am using a white industry double cog freewheel - 17/19 and I am probably going to put a 22 (white industry freewheel single cog) on the other side of the hub for comfort's sake.  My tyre choice should be 700x25.  The three cogs should give me the following range in gear inches (rounded down) - 57/66/74.

I have my reasons for doing it this way and it would be a delight to find others who are thinking along the same lines.

cheers
inner

« Reply #21 on: 28 January, 2009, 11:35:50 pm »
Planning to do it on fixed. Never done LEL before and I've only got one SR (albeit fixed) under my belt.

46x18 for the Northern section (67" on 25mm tyres). May drop down to a 17T cog (I have a Miche Sprocket Carrier) for the flatlands to the south for 71". (I've done the bottom 300km from Cheshunt to Thorne already and it is trivially easy on one gear.)

Have done various hilly Audaxes on fixed so far (71" did me fine on the Dean - 3900m climbing in 300km) and the 67" gear will be getting an outing on the Elenith (4700m climbing in 300km) and Bryan Chapman Memorial (8300m climbing in 600km) this year. I reserve the right to change my mind after doing either of these rides.

My hilly training route is close to 1000m climbing in 50km and I can happily do this on 67" and maintain 20kph average although I do have to walk a couple of bits that go over 15%. I plan on doing this route at least 20 times on fixed before LEL.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #22 on: 29 January, 2009, 12:47:13 am »
  Mind you - if you wear 'em all summer, this happens  :)

:o

The horror, the horror !

I hope that never happens to my toenails.

It's happened to fatbloke  ;D ;D ;D

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #23 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:43:21 am »
Here you go all in the one Carradice 23 l saddlebag

If you click on the photo it goes to the flickr page that has notes describing the contents.
"Don't stop pedalling"

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #24 on: 29 January, 2009, 10:28:17 am »
I am planning to do the ride on a "singlespeed". Granted that gear choice is entirely driven by personal choice and ability, I would be very interested to know if anyone else is aiming to ride singlespeed as well and what their gear choice is going to be.

My current gearing is 48x19 but I may drop down to 48x22.  I am using a white industry double cog freewheel - 17/19 and I am probably going to put a 22 (white industry freewheel single cog) on the other side of the hub for comfort's sake.  My tyre choice should be 700x25.  The three cogs should give me the following range in gear inches (rounded down) - 57/66/74.

I ride single speed for commuting but I've never done over 100 miles on it.  It has a 66" gear.

The "interesting" thing about LEL is that the Northern bit has a lot of ascent but there is a large flat bit cambridge/ lincoln/ york.   

I guess if you start off in 66" or 57" for the nasty steep gravelly crappy lanes in the first bit, then switch to 74" for the flat bit, then back to 66 or 57 at the end of that

I'll be riding a bike with campag 10 speed 30" to 100" gears