Author Topic: [LEL17] Riding to the start  (Read 1725 times)

[LEL17] Riding to the start
« on: 16 October, 2016, 03:15:27 pm »
I have started to think about the start and the finish. Plan was to drive over on registration day and check out and organise parking for the event but then it occurred to me that there might not be any! Looking around I can’t see any mention of parking so do people ride to the start and begin the ride without a break?

I don’t live that far away but it’s difficult on public transport so it’s drive or ride, I could stay over night in a hotel close by prior to the event but I wanted a late start, not a morning person, so that makes things more difficult as I don’t want to hang around.

Has anyone had experience of riding in and back on this length of ride, I could see the outward journey
working but I’m not sure I would be able to do another five or six hours on the final day to get from
Loughton to home.

Has anyone experiences they can share from last time
It's all about the breakfast

Re: Riding to the start
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:07:15 pm »
Last time, the campsite was a sensible option, at least for people coming by car from far away. I remember it was not cheap, but it was a hassle-free solution, 300m from the start, and the price was reasonable compared to 2 or 3 hotel nights, and one week of parking fee.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:17:05 pm »
Has anyone had experience of riding in and back on this length of ride, I could see the outward journey
working but I’m not sure I would be able to do another five or six hours on the final day to get from
Loughton to home.

Before:
Experience says that a little energy spent on the morning isnt too much of a problem. 6 hours might be pushing it, but probably OK if you take it very steady, and use it for relaxation (I'd probably leave late, and turn it into a stressed time-trial to make the start  ::-) )

But after a ride;
 I just never know what state I'll be in. After LEL 09 I tried to get on a train a few hours after finishing, and it wasnt pretty! Adrenaline tends to get me to the finish, but then my body can just shut down, at some random time.

So my strategy now is to treat myself to some sort of vaguely local accomodation, such that I can probably ride there; and if I'm really-truly-royally-shagged, a taxi wouldn't be a crippling outlay (and you have a fair chance of scrounging a lift!).

It's also quite nice to have the luxury to hang out with finishers, maybe cheer in the latecomers etc, all with no time pressures.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2016, 08:51:25 am »
I didn't ride to / from LEL but I did for PBP. 

Because you've already got the ride to / from the event in your schedule you're mentally prepared for it.  We spent a night after finishing in Paris and then left the next day.   It meant about 110 miles riding in France back to Dieppe. We took it easy getting back to Dieppe with a long cider fuelled lunch and an evening email in Dieppe before the ferry.  What rest we could on the ferry overnight to New Haven and then the ride on the UK side.

So whatever you decide, I'd recommend some time at the finish catching up with other finishers and a whole nights sleep in a comfy bed. Then a slow tootle home the day after, if you decide on that course.