Author Topic: TODO list of stuff to get or do  (Read 13233 times)

Re: TODO list of stuff to get or do
« Reply #75 on: 05 August, 2019, 11:06:14 am »
My woe just continues, On Saturday, the buckle on one of my shoes broke. And also now got my second spare bike all ready and sorted just in case my first spare goes tits up in the next few days, but scheduled to get my best bike back on Wednesday, but in the time left, is there enough to really test it out especially with a new crank length fitted to check it out for comfort over long distance with no knee problems? And also at some point would have to check everything over to ensure that nothing is coming loose and needs retorquing or adjusting with cable stretch etc whilst on PBP?

So, it will have to be the first spare.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #76 on: 05 August, 2019, 11:25:34 am »
I rode PBP07 on a bike I first saw the evening before the bike check. The bike had been built up two days before that and hadn't been ridden at all. The first time I clicked my shoes into the pedals was on the way to the start line.

Ride your No.1 bike (if you are happy with the riding position) and just keep an eye open for running-in stuff. If the new cranks are slightly shorter than the originals and you've adjusted your saddle appropriately, then you'll be good to go. If the new cranks are longer, I'd want a 200 at least on them before starting PBP but YMMV.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #77 on: 07 August, 2019, 09:33:15 pm »
bought the ferry tickets today, still to book accommodation, sort out gps tracks and travel insurance.

both the bike and the kit are in good order.

have i missed anything?

Phil W

« Reply #78 on: 09 August, 2019, 02:07:55 pm »
Printed off ferry booking confirmation and the PBP confirmation you need for the registration on Sat.

« Reply #79 on: 09 August, 2019, 02:22:05 pm »
Probably a good time to check your passport and EHIC card are where you think they are (and *don't move them* until it's time to leave).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #80 on: 09 August, 2019, 04:04:11 pm »
Cut your fingernails a couple of days beforehand.  Ripping a nail while fixing a flat in a downpour is no fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #81 on: 09 August, 2019, 05:34:20 pm »
Packed bike stuff on to bike and weighed it - was happy with 3.5kg back, 2kg front but not so happy when I weighed the whole bike and got 18kg...

Still need to attach a couple of spare spokes, charge the DI2, fit new micro USB lead to dyno charger and see if I can cure my front disc noises (new disc and pads ready to go on)... will prob have a shake down ride next week for a cuppa somewhere... getting a bit fed up of decaf stuff now though - can't wait to get to the start and ride if only so I can have a proper coffee again!

Must remember to pack spork as well!

ETA: need to check tool bottle and might tape a spare tube to the frame as well...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #82 on: 09 August, 2019, 07:50:09 pm »
Printed off . . . the PBP confirmation you need for the registration on Sat.
"Go to the big tent [bike check] close to the entrance of the Bergerie Nationale, in the time slot indicated on your registration acknowledgement, with:
. your registration confirmation (screen or paper)"

Phil W

« Reply #83 on: 09 August, 2019, 08:02:12 pm »
Printed off . . . the PBP confirmation you need for the registration on Sat.
"Go to the big tent [bike check] close to the entrance of the Bergerie Nationale, in the time slot indicated on your registration acknowledgement, with:
. your registration confirmation (screen or paper)"

Good to see you are reading the dossier. Indeed, and since I won't be taking a smartphone with me, paper it'll be.

« Reply #84 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:47:56 pm »
... getting a bit fed up of decaf stuff now though - can't wait to get to the start and ride if only so I can have a proper coffee again!

This.

« Reply #85 on: 09 August, 2019, 11:34:32 pm »
... getting a bit fed up of decaf stuff now though - can't wait to get to the start and ride if only so I can have a proper coffee again!

This.

It's possible to overdo the prep.

Phil W

« Reply #86 on: 11 August, 2019, 09:42:58 pm »
Top up my Audax PAYG phone.  Credit works in France the same as UK for now.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #87 on: 11 August, 2019, 10:03:02 pm »

This.

It's possible to overdo the prep.

Feeling lethargic ...
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #88 on: 12 August, 2019, 10:02:38 am »

This.
+1

« Reply #89 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:48:09 pm »
Someone posted on twitter that last minute spending on items for PBP was emptying the bank account at an alarming rate.
 I know how they feel.
I think I need to keep on working just to feed my cycling habit.
Can anyone resurrect that Trainspotting parody?

Phil W

« Reply #91 on: 13 August, 2019, 03:35:04 pm »
emptying the bank account at an alarming rate.
 I know how they feel.

I know how they feel, I had to transfer a "Grand" into my bank account just to hopefully sort out any more unexpected problems that may happen. Apart from fuel and hotel bill, I should not have to touch it.....but?

I even swapped Hotels today to a cheaper one at Trappes that I stayed in last time to save about £70 instead of the Ibis at the velodrome that I booked June 2018, the parking fees were a bit to much, almost a third of the price of my hotel and could not see any free parking anywhere so I'm trying to claw some money back.

All I need now is to get my Mojo back and some enthusiasm about it as I have never had any real interest in cycling since after PBP in 2015.

But the cars half packed and my bags are packed and setting off tommorow.

« Reply #92 on: 13 August, 2019, 03:56:35 pm »

Phil W

« Reply #93 on: 13 August, 2019, 07:18:03 pm »
Mostly sorted now. Top up credit added to dumb phone. Final set of GPS AA batteries on charge.  Backup front light charged, backup rear on charge.   Plug with European prongs located for any in France USB charging. Euros gathered from their resting place, EHIC and passport located. All paperwork printed. Will load up bike tomorrow then unpack to see if there's anything obvious I have forgotten.

simonp

« Reply #94 on: 13 August, 2019, 07:42:15 pm »
Tested out my TransferWise borderless MasterCard. I put £750 on the account and then converted 400 Euros. Card worked this morning in the uk so should be good to go in France. Much cheaper than buying cash or using a traditional credit or debit card.