Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333649 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2175 on: 14 February, 2020, 01:23:17 pm »
It would be interesting to know how many A&E attendances are due to injury whilst trying to open packaging. Especially those wretched plastic bubble packs. Packaging is the main reason I carry a penknife.

Also;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrap_rage

We have a great big key somewhere for opening corned-beef tins. It also serves as a bottle-opener.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2176 on: 14 February, 2020, 02:59:51 pm »
I stopped using my smartwatch to pay for things. While a nice idea, I found that with Samsung, I needed to use my other hand to activate it. As I spent most of my time holding a toddler, it was easier to use one arm to hold the baby and the other hand to get a regular contactless card out of my back pocket and tap in and out, rather than fiddle about to activate the watch and risk dropping a toddler.

Throw toddler in the air. Use smartwatch. Catch toddler.

If your partner is expecting twins then book a few days at the circus school and learn to juggle.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2177 on: 14 February, 2020, 03:50:47 pm »

Pah!  Call that a First World Problem...
... I couldn't find the tofu press earlier.   :o
I have never heard of a tofu press!  Now I need one!

I hate to say it... but it does make the tofu much easier to cook with.  Press it, marinate it, press it again and - bingo - edible tofu.

Don't tell my wife, the fact that tofu is inedible is my only remaining excuse
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2178 on: 14 February, 2020, 04:28:08 pm »
It would be interesting to know how many A&E attendances are due to injury whilst trying to open packaging. Especially those wretched plastic bubble packs. Packaging is the main reason I carry a penknife.

Also;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrap_rage

We have a great big key somewhere for opening corned-beef tins. It also serves as a bottle-opener.

My Leatherman Micra is mostly used on packaging and manicure.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2179 on: 14 February, 2020, 05:31:30 pm »
It would be interesting to know how many A&E attendances are due to injury whilst trying to open packaging. Especially those wretched plastic bubble packs.

I tend to go straight to the tin snips for those.  It saves drama in the long run.

ian

« Reply #2180 on: 14 February, 2020, 06:04:08 pm »
I sort of hoped a tofu press was a sex thing. Life is disappointing in many and varied ways.

Recalcitrant packaging the reason we have dynamite. That shit is gonna fight and that shit is gonna lose.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2181 on: 14 February, 2020, 06:29:03 pm »

I hate to say it... but it does make the tofu much easier to cook with.  Press it, marinate it, press it again and - bingo - edible tofu.

I’m not really sure how pressing tofu renders it edible so I think you can relax about that.

« Reply #2182 on: 14 February, 2020, 07:24:26 pm »

I’m not really sure how pressing tofu renders it edible so I think you can relax about that.

It's all the flavourings you marinate tofu in that render it edible - you press tofu to ensure that it is less likely to disintegrate when you  practise your frisbee or discus technique with the uncut block.  :demon: ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #2183 on: 15 February, 2020, 06:53:50 pm »
Why does 'Peel Here' on packaging never ever ever work, resulting in either an impatient attack with a sharp object or a torn packaging cover diametrically opposed to the 'Peel here' point?

Peel here?

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #2184 on: 15 February, 2020, 08:38:36 pm »
xxxx me, 2004 JP departed.  How the world has changed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2185 on: 15 February, 2020, 09:40:28 pm »
"Teenage dreams so hard to beat"
as famously not sung by Diana Ross.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2186 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:11:43 am »
I've yet to see one of these watches used by anyone under about 65.

I have, but they're either  a) app developer types  or b) disabled people using them as assistive technology.

TBH, I suspect it's mostly a younger-people-don't-wear-watches thing.  When they do it's nearly always Fitbit type things.
Good point, yeah. I'm firmly of the watch-wearing generation. I like to have something to remind myself of the time easily without having to pull a phone out of my pocket.

But as you've mentioned disabled people and assistive technology, and this was in the context of teh bookeshoppe, here's a little grumble passim: It's a late Victorian building with one, fairly shallow, step to get in. There's a bell for anyone in a wheelchair to ring to get our attention. So I asked the manager, what do we do if someone rings the bell? I can't see a ramp, looking around the full to the ceiling, small stockroom. Is it at the corner shop (2 doors up, they have two steps)? No. There is no ramp. It would be a case of manhandling the chair up the step (probably not too difficult but... ). Head office provide a bell, not a ramp, there is no fund for a ramp or place to store it. Manager says "It is absurd" and they could get in trouble. If Barakta wants to send one of her wheelchair activist friends round... !!!

Crikey!

Not surprising tho...

Cite the Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992. Are their employees qualified for lifting and handling PEOPLE, especially disabled people? Is the employer going to cover liability to their potentially injured employee or disabled person?

Sadly there's hundreds of sods like this in every city who could buy a sub £100 ramp but won't...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2187 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:49:36 am »
It's a charity so these are volunteers not employees (apart from the manager). Certainly not trained to lift people. I think the problem is not spending £100, it's lack of space to store it and Head Office bureaucracy stuff. I'll have another word with the manager but I think he's hamstrung by HO.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2188 on: 16 February, 2020, 11:41:02 pm »
...Using phones and watches is passe... anyone who is anyone will be using their ring...

Our cats are well ahead of the game then.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2189 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:02:59 am »
 ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2190 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:15:35 am »
It's such a dilemma when it's coffee time and you haven't yet finished your breakfast tea.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2191 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:25:40 pm »

That’s an oxymoron, that is.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2192 on: 17 February, 2020, 01:04:23 pm »
It's such a dilemma when it's coffee time and you haven't yet finished your breakfast tea.

You can tell the retirees....  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2193 on: 17 February, 2020, 01:13:08 pm »

And it's great, innit Wow?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Davef

« Reply #2194 on: 17 February, 2020, 04:41:06 pm »

That’s an oxymoron, that is.
I imagined the purpose of the tofu press was similar to those things for compressing empty drink cans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2195 on: 17 February, 2020, 09:59:00 pm »

And it's great, innit Wow?

It most certainly is!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2196 on: 17 March, 2020, 09:17:37 pm »
Well. You know this coronavirus stuff? We had a trip planned to France which now won't go ahead, so we won't be able to restock the wine from there. Bear with me, it gets WORSE. I remember Waitrose have a 25% off offer on, ending at 21:00 today. Went onto their website and shoved a few bottles into my virtual trolley, but could I complete the order? Could I heck. Apparently their website is experiencing heavy loading and the advice was "try again" but 21:00 came and went, and the offer ended. Quel horreur! can you imagine?

« Reply #2197 on: 17 March, 2020, 09:20:31 pm »
That sounds bad Ham.   I'm pleased to say the The Wine Society emailed me earlier to say they have plenty of stock & intend to keep up deliveries  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2198 on: 19 March, 2020, 05:00:20 pm »
Sainsbury's could only supply the Dark Chocolate Lindt Bunny, when I'd ordered Dark and Milk chocolate Bunnies.

D will SUFFER!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2199 on: 19 March, 2020, 09:18:56 pm »
I've used up our paella rice. (it was excellent, thank you for asking).  I fear in the current climate I will not be able to replace it so it will likely be an unacceptably long time 'till I can do another.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.