Author Topic: Labelling generations  (Read 3068 times)

Re: Labelling generations
« Reply #50 on: 14 August, 2023, 12:18:34 pm »
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 15 August, 2023, 09:10:20 am »
We need a board for threads that don't belong anywhere else...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #52 on: 15 August, 2023, 10:10:09 am »
Don't forget us Xennials! ;D

The one that demonstrates it's based on childhood experience not year born.
Also suspiciously if you look at CBBC programming Xennials would have seen the transition from Playschool to Playdays (and many other programming changes) so it's not just computers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 15 August, 2023, 12:24:33 pm »

Also suspiciously if you look at CBBC programming Xennials would have seen the transition from Playschool to Playdays (and many other programming changes) so it's not just computers.

I've always considered myself to be on the GenX side of that particular borderline, on account of remembering the Challenger disaster, and having the privilege to be an Old Internet Person[1] (although a post-September one).

My early childhood was mostly in a weird ext-pat parents / hearing impairment / not-having-a-telly cultural bubble, which adds to the effect.  If we're talking Children's BBC (as it was), then I was the tail end of the Playscool cohort, and was definitely too old for Playbus when it came along (it didn't become Playdays until some time later).

While I wasn't involved in the LGBT community until well after the plague[2], I had a perspective on the SCIENCE side of it growing up.  It remains the defining feature of the older generation who survived it.  I suppose there's another generational gap with the baby queers who've never been meaningfully closeted (I literally cannot imagine what it's like to be accepted at school).  I note that I still describe myself as 'bisexual', because it's the word that my generation used - I can't bring myself to use 'pansexual', because the perceived wankiness outweighs the extra precision.

That said, male prime ministers remain a novelty, and failure to Adult in a timely manner means I missed out on the whole chance-of-being-able-to-afford-housing[3] thing, which is perhaps the defining feature of Millenials and those who followed.

[1] ©2019 Gretchen McCulloch, whose book is now becoming dated.  I reckon she's right about not defining generations of internet users by their chronological age.
[2] The other pandemic for those keeping count.
[3] Without the aid of rich parents, which in my case I have not got.

« Reply #54 on: 15 August, 2023, 12:35:05 pm »
I've always thought if you have/had a collection of physical media bought non-ironically or have used a phonebox because there was no other option* you can't be a millennial, which makes the 1980 start several years too early.

(* no, not for that)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 15 August, 2023, 12:39:03 pm »
The dates thing says I'm at the tail end of the Boomers but my outstanding capacity as a slacker means I'm far more Gen X.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #56 on: 15 August, 2023, 12:40:34 pm »

Anyone who watched Playdays at an appropriate age is firmly in the millennial bracket.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #57 on: 15 August, 2023, 02:35:09 pm »
Errr, remind me which one had the Playbus and the Why Bird?

[Okay, Playdays from '88 so three year old me was watching the OG Why Bird.]

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #58 on: 15 August, 2023, 02:51:30 pm »
Floella Benjamin remains my first love.  :D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #59 on: 15 August, 2023, 04:23:00 pm »
One of them has actually nicked my name, but I think he fell short of actually calling himself Wowbagger.

;D ;D ;D

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #60 on: 15 August, 2023, 04:36:04 pm »
I've always thought if you have/had a collection of physical media bought non-ironically or have used a phonebox because there was no other option* you can't be a millennial, which makes the 1980 start several years too early.

(* no, not for that)

Xennial is based on that transition period.

Anyone who watched Playdays at an appropriate age is firmly in the millennial bracket.

My brother is 3 and a half years younger than me, I was wondering WTF had happened to Humpty, Little Ted and Floetta. (edit: ok I got her name wrong but ll is also a glotta stop here so I'm leaving it)

There's also other things linked to CBBC like going from being presented in a broom cupboard to proper sets and stuff.

Also Byker Grove being shockingly controversial  and Grange Hill changing theme music

ian

« Reply #61 on: 15 August, 2023, 11:54:49 pm »
I saw a vintage Ford Capri outside the pool today. I really wanted to slide over the bonnet and pretend to point a gun. But I didn’t fancy trying to explain that to a spotty PC.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #62 on: 20 August, 2023, 12:20:23 pm »
Vaguely on generations: In a box of old tat, a residents' handbook to a certain town. At the end is a classified directory, in which "coal merchants" is followed directly by "computers". One of each. That crossover time.
(click to show/hide)