Author Topic: Eurovision 2016  (Read 1506 times)

Eurovision 2016
« on: 14 May, 2016, 08:09:41 pm »
Well, I'm ready, with a large glass of red wine, and just finishing cooking some pasta with bacon and tomato sauce.

Let the strangeness commence!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: Eurovision 2016
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2016, 08:12:53 pm »
I'm being subjected to this as well. A glass of ginger beer is to hand.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2016, 08:45:07 pm »
Bulgaria is the only one I like so far.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:05:37 pm »
Australia? Which part of Eurovision am I misunderstanding? Or has continental drift speeded up over the weekend?

(Yeah, I know it's the EBU or somesuch. But all the same).

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:17:54 pm »
Australia joined in last year, as part of the 60th Anniversary thing, and I guess it went down so well, that they've continued with it.  The Australian SBS is a longtime broadcaster of the contest, even though it must be the early hours of the morning for them, if they watch it live !

The Australian ditty was my favourite song, so far.

Nothing too exceptionally strange, yet.  Only one weird hairdo (Israel), and a couple of strange costumes (Bulgaria and Germany).

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:20:16 pm »
Australia? Which part of Eurovision am I misunderstanding? Or has continental drift speeded up over the weekend?

(Yeah, I know it's the EBU or somesuch. But all the same).

I think the E in EBU stands for Euroaustralasian, or something of that ilk.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:53:58 pm »
Gods, I've missed most of this due to being at a pretend Slovak wedding, now watching the images on very shaky analogue with Ken of the Bruceishness about half a mnute behind.

« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:11:57 pm »
Which bit was pretend, the Slovak, or the wedding?  And followed by pretend music, too.  Glutton and punishment come to mind!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:21:50 pm »
Well, we are in Slovakia and it was a traditional wedding, just not a real bride and groom.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:23:44 pm »
just watched with my 8 year old, who had never seen it before.  He started giggling during the Hungarian entry (the one with the monk playing a drum) and hasn't stopped since.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:25:41 pm »
I liked Georgia
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:31:19 pm »
I think Croatia won the strange clothing contest, especially with the Bucks Fizz moment. ;D

(Croatian entry, at the Semi-Final).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:49:32 pm »
That was distressingly unbonkers.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2016, 11:07:20 pm »
There are no black people in all of Europe apparently.

Is the only non-Caucasian a South Korean singing for Australia?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #14 on: 14 May, 2016, 11:54:27 pm »
There are no black people in all of Europe apparently.

Is the only non-Caucasian a South Korean singing for Australia?

Certainly some of the backing singers were, I remember seeing them around one of the main singers in the "green" room, I'm not sure for which country though.

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2016, 12:10:22 am »
What a lot of utterly bland entries. Germany had the most folksy costume. Sweden won the 'worst tanning accident' award. I was praying for Russia not to win. Why the heck did so many vote for the completely forgettable Australian entry?
Ukraine won on political points and being a half decent singer.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2016, 12:12:07 am »
It was nice to see the 2015 Junior Eurovision Winner, who's of mixed Maltese/Nigerian heritage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_Chukunyere

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2016, 06:01:23 pm »
I'm quite pleased to hear that Russia take Eurovision very seriously these days, and are very cross that it has such a big camp following/influence.

Meanwhile - I flicked over to see who won, and they were just taking the postal - sorry, telephone votes. Which seemed to make all the tedious jury votes an irrelevance. I didnt see the whole thing, but this seems a pretty daft arrangement!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2016, 07:47:35 pm »
Russia had an amazing performance/effects definitely the best but the song was crap.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 15 May, 2016, 10:16:17 pm »
Needless to say the Ukrainian victory was all a fix orchestrated by the CIA, the IOC and the Unelected Bureaucrats of BrusselsTM and the Russians say they're not playing any more, unless they are.  Oh boo fucking hoo.

Nobody died.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #20 on: 16 May, 2016, 10:10:16 am »
Meanwhile - I flicked over to see who won, and they were just taking the postal - sorry, telephone votes. Which seemed to make all the tedious jury votes an irrelevance. I didnt see the whole thing, but this seems a pretty daft arrangement!

IIRC the public votes and the jury votes both award an equal number of points. It's surprising (and disappointing for the UK entry) that there was such a wide discrepancy between the two.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #21 on: 16 May, 2016, 11:07:23 am »
As Mr Charly said, pretty bland entries. Thought our chaps had a catchy number, but it's obvious the durgy Ukranian number (which will hardly have folks humming along to) tugged at peeps's political heartstrings, rather than thinking, well this is a jolly ditty.

The Australian girl did have a lovely voice. Maybe she visited Europe once, so qualified from that standpoint.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex