Author Topic: Intermediate Checkpoints Now Untimed for ACP/RUSA Brevets (Feb/Mar 2024)  (Read 1785 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
I have a father and daughter who have done my Greenways audax each year. He uses e-brevet but she loves the info’s.  She is now 18.  I’d be careful about saying one age group wants this, and another wants that. I offer traditional and modern and let the rider choose.

Yes.

And "old-fashioned" brevet cards + stamps have proven very popular (and photogenic!) on the Transcontinental Race.
fully stamped brevet cards are the best.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

To quote the two major changes in the ACP rules for 2024.
https://www.audax-club-parisien.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Rules-for-rider-2024.pdf

1. Intermediate Controls as discussed
Article 9 : Organizers may have checkpoints with no member of the organizing staff present. At these checkpoints riders must get their brevet card stamped at a local establishment that the organizer specifies as a checkpoint, such as a grocery store or gas station or validated by digital means.
Checkpoint information to be noted on the brevet card includes the time and the date of passage (for brevets that extend beyond 24 hours).
For unmanned checkpoints where no means of getting a stamp is available (arrival in the middle of the night for example), the rider may either (1) mail in a postcard with the checkpoint information (time, date, full name of the rider, and the rider's club affiliation) to the brevet organizer; or (2) write into their brevet card identifying information from a predetermined landmark or sign at the checkpoint also noting the time and the date of passage, or (3) provide a bank receipt, indicating the full name of the participant, or (4) provide a photo of the participant with decor (road sign, for example) justifying the place, or (5) validate her/his passage by an electronic control (reading of QR code, electronic chip, etc ...). In all cases, the rider should mark his brevet card in the space provided for the checkpoint PC, with the time and date.
The organizer has the discretion to determine which option is to be allowed for a given checkpoint.
Missing proof of passage information or loss of the brevet card (regardless of how far into the ride a rider is) will result in disqualification. Each rider is responsible for seeing that his brevet card is properly completed at each checkpoint.
The homologation of a BRM by a GPS track can be a solution adopted by an organizer for all or part of the course. Nevertheless, the organizer must always leave the possibility of using a brevet card.

2. Super Randonneur Award - Now earned over a calendar year.
Article 13 :
Medals: The medals noting the successful completion of the brevets are: a bronze medal for 200 KM, a silver-plate medal for 300 KM, a vermilion medal for 400 KM, a gold medal for 600 KM, and a silver medal for 1000 KM. The design of the medals will change after each PBP. Cost for the medals will be set by the event organizer.
Super Randonneur : This title is earned by any rider who completes a series of brevets ( 200, 300, 400, and 600 KM) in the same calendar year. A medal is also available for those holding this title. Riders should provide supporting documentation to their brevet organizer, as well as payment. The organizer can obtain the medal upon verification of the rider's brevet numbers.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless

With all the discussion of info's. What's people's take on photo controls? Since covid, we've been using them heavily in RNL. They work great, easier than trying to find a sign or something to read a number off.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
I guess quite a good option for a small(ish) number of participants, but becomes more problematical when you have a lot of riders returning and all having to fiddle around to find the photo to show the organising team.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
I guess quite a good option for a small(ish) number of participants, but becomes more problematical when you have a lot of riders returning and all having to fiddle around to find the photo to show the organising team.

We've had 80+ starters... 100 in PBP years...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Israel Randonneurs has used photo controls for a decade, the first time I rode a brevet that used non-physical evidence. It seemed to work for them without too many issues and has spread around the world since then.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...