Author Topic: Serious question about microphone on a work laptop  (Read 234 times)

Serious question about microphone on a work laptop
« on: 18 April, 2024, 07:44:26 pm »
My work laptop had a microphone symbol on the system tray during a meeting at work.  When my mouse cursor rolled over it there was a comment about 69 users. Since this is a secure work laptop using a VPN with high security settings such as bit locker hard drive encryption with password before you get as far as fully booting and logging on. What does it mean by 69 users?

As I understand it the laptop camera and microphone are both disabled by the IT & Security settings. We use plug in headsets and that was showing as muted on Skype and the headset mute button. Skype was not showing any sound coming from me. In the meeting there were 115 people in total. We are only allowed to plug in company supplied equipment and everything is about security with high level on alerts with even work email addresses getting content blocked unless you select to download at times.

Is this a potential security issue? I ask because my employer is very security focused and I'm wondering if this should be logged with IT.

Re: Work laptop microphone had 69 users, how?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2024, 09:21:46 pm »
Nice.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Work laptop microphone had 69 users, how?
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2024, 09:34:10 pm »
Even with the snow falling outside, she felt it appropriate to wear her bikini.