Author Topic: LEL Photo contributions...  (Read 12831 times)

Mrs Panoramix

LEL Photo contributions...
« on: 08 December, 2010, 10:24:25 pm »
Hello all,

I think my username gives away who I am...

We are currently working on the new LEL website and I would need some of your photos. I am after challenging situation, harsh weather, nice landscapes, zoom of bicycle parts, gear (gps, water bottles...) or just a photo you like.

If you could post your photos in this thread. Please avoid links to photo streams. Feel free to comment also...

Thanks

Adriana

DanialW

Re: LEL Photo contributions...
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2010, 10:24:57 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2010, 10:39:12 pm »
Here's the stereotypical LEL picture:-

The reality of the glamourous side of Audax:-

Using a sail on Yad Moss (as seen on the back of last year's handbook - Don Black, if you couldn't guess):-

And the image that has been my desktop wallpaper ever since:-

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2010, 10:40:53 pm »
Help youself

At the Queens Arms, Brampton, Cumbria

Just after Middleton Tyas

Traquair Controller

Challenging Conditions (note binbag)

Leaving Edinburgh

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2010, 10:51:36 pm »
The reality of the glamourous side of Audax:-

And that was on the way north!  Just as well there were no pics of us in the same bus shelter on the way south!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2010, 12:09:26 am »

"The morning after the night before"

« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2010, 12:29:21 am »

This is the one I took to be the cover of something.

there are 11 others on Flickr.
LEL Stills - a set on Flickr

Most  frames from the video are available at 1920x1080. in this sort of quality.

« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2010, 12:51:01 am »
God alone knows who this disreputable character is.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2010, 12:51:20 am »
Since you don't like photostreams: Photos from Thorne control

Here are the selected highlights.  I'm afraid most of mine were portrait shots of people whose identity I don't know, so I have no way of getting model releases.  Of course, if riders signed something at the start that said that photographs of them may be used without their permission, none of that applies.
Bike parking

Velomobiels

Exotica

People eating (you probably can't use it but I like it)

Someone you might know

The nerve centre

Andy Allsopp catching a quick kip

Someone after contact with a bus

Terry Bolland and Melita Luxton

Sun and style

Downtime for volunteers

In the lead by a country mile, and he's still smiling (he's the superhuman German who finished first)

Volunteers relaxing again, do they ever do anything else? (John Hamilton, Danial Webb and Sina Lenherr)

Bikes at midnight

International cooperation: Rick Carpenter (future RAAM contender, left) had smashed both his bike and his cheekbone shortly after leaving York southbound.  Not to be deterred, he got a taxi back from hospital in Hull, borrowed a bike from the Israeli Lev (who'd packed on the way north) and rode the remaining 321km to London. 

What remained of Rick's bike

It was a bit wet

Again, you probably can't use this, but I'll post it all the same.

What randonneurs (and vounteers) need most

Sun and slumber

One satisfied customer (whose photo it would be totally illegal to use unless you recognise him and can contact him)

The mechanic Rob Wormald relaxes after a long stint

Leaving the bike behind

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2010, 07:45:27 am »

"He's a model and he's looking good...."

H

« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2010, 08:39:21 am »
Since you don't like photostreams: Photos from Thorne control

Here are the selected highlights.  I'm afraid most of mine were portrait shots of people whose identity I don't know, so I have no way of getting model releases.  Of course, if riders signed something at the start that said that photographs of them may be used without their permission, none of that applies.

That doesn't apply anyway. Even in countries with very strict photography laws, sports events are exempted from model releases. That as long as you use the photos in a journalistic/editorial way. So the only model releases should be asked when LEL wants to make some advertisement posters or similar stuff.

That aside, my photoseries is at: DDS - Fotoalbum
more precisely
LEL 2009: DDS Fotoalbum - ivo_m - lel2009
LEl  2005: DDS Fotoalbum - ivo_m - lel2005

I do have some photo's of LEL 2001 and LEL 1997 but most of them are unscanned. Large versions of my photos are available upon request.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2010, 08:49:45 am »
This thread

LEL Photos

is a compilation done at the time of all the various photo sources that were listed here

« Reply #12 on: 09 December, 2010, 09:22:31 am »
My album is here:
http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy155/sandyvigar/LEL2009/

These are some of my favourites

Registration

The Start (including some forumites you might know)

West Australian contingent at the start

And they're off

fettling at Gamlingay

outside Thurlby control

Thurlby kids drawings

Thurlby at Rush Hour

The Press

Coxwold

Thorne

Middleton Tyas

Eskdalemuir

Alston

Final control at Gamlingay - a different perspective

Arrivee

The Final Washup

@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 09 December, 2010, 09:46:25 am »
One satisfied customer (whose photo it would be totally illegal to use unless you recognise him and can contact him)

What's the difference between publishing the photo on an LEL website and publishing it here?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #14 on: 09 December, 2010, 10:19:53 am »
there's notalotowork being done in this office :demon:

« Reply #15 on: 09 December, 2010, 10:47:15 am »

What's the difference between publishing the photo on an LEL website and publishing it here?

There is none. There is however a difference between editorial and commercial use.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #16 on: 09 December, 2010, 11:00:17 am »

I'm the copyright holder, so I'm allowed to show the photo, but afaik it would be illegal to make money from it without a model release.  After posting upthread late at night, I now realise that I'm unclear quite what Mrs P and the LEL team want to do with the photos.  I'm interested to hear what Ivo said, but don't know whether Mrs P's intentions include advertising or just journalistic use.  Can anyone advise, who is more au fait with UK photography law than I am?  Exit Stage Left and  Ed O'Brain, are you there?

[x post: I see Ivo's made my point for me]

DanialW

« Reply #17 on: 09 December, 2010, 11:35:25 am »
I'm the copyright holder, so I'm allowed to show the photo, but afaik it would be illegal to make money from it without a model release.  After posting upthread late at night, I now realise that I'm unclear quite what Mrs P and the LEL team want to do with the photos.  I'm interested to hear what Ivo said, but don't know whether Mrs P's intentions include advertising or just journalistic use.  Can anyone advise, who is more au fait with UK photography law than I am?  Exit Stage Left and  Ed O'Brain, are you there?

[x post: I see Ivo's made my point for me]

Technically speaking, if you have a list of photos of people, named in a such a way that implies order (i.e. dcs001, dcs002), on your camera or on your PC, then you need to get their permission to keep that photo.

The nature of consent and what is appropriate and proportionate with regard to the Data Protection Act is not set in stone. Different European countries also interpret data protection laws in various ways. However you can assume that if someone smiles for the camera, then they consent to you taking (and keeping) their photo.

LEL is a commercial operation, which intends to make a profit. However, any profit has to be recycled, either through another LEL or another cycling association, so notions of commercial gain are blurred.

The acid test, from my experience in marketing, is quite straightforward though. Is the hassle of getting permission greater than the potential upset to the person if they did not intend their data to be used in the way it is being used? Greg has a photo of a beaming audaxer, so it's clear that he's happy to be known as an audaxer, and happy to be photographed. It would be a pain to find out who he is, and to get his permission to use his photo on the LEL website. I think it would be reasonable to assume that he would be at worst neutral about us using his photo, that any upset would be minor, and to rectify the issue would take a moment. On that basis, although I'm not a lawyer, I'd err towards using photos of people without their prior, explicit consent, and to remove them if asked.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #18 on: 09 December, 2010, 12:00:20 pm »
The 2007 PBP regulations contained this paragraph, which presumably gets round any privacy laws (and the reputedly strict French laws). Something else for the 2013 LEL team to consider?

Article 16 : Publicity

Riders authorise the organisers or their proxies such as partners and media organisations to use static or moving images on which they may appear and which have been captured during their participation in Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur for publicity purposes, including promotional material and advertising, throughout the world and for for the longest period provided by the law, regulations, and treaties in force.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

DanialW

« Reply #19 on: 09 December, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »
The 2007 PBP regulations contained this paragraph, which presumably gets round any privacy laws (and the reputedly strict French laws). Something else for the 2013 LEL team to consider?

Article 16 : Publicity

Riders authorise the organisers or their proxies such as partners and media organisations to use static or moving images on which they may appear and which have been captured during their participation in Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur for publicity purposes, including promotional material and advertising, throughout the world and for for the longest period provided by the law, regulations, and treaties in force.

Cheers! LEL already has a privacy policy. Copy available on request.

(this is the advantage of having a policy wonk on the LEL committee)

« Reply #20 on: 09 December, 2010, 12:14:56 pm »

French law is quite strict regarding photography of buildings, German law regarding photography of people. But keep in mind that LEL is a sports event, thus exempted from many restrictions regarding photography.

« Reply #21 on: 09 December, 2010, 07:10:03 pm »

French law is quite strict regarding photography of buildings, German law regarding photography of people. But keep in mind that LEL is a sports event, thus exempted from many restrictions regarding photography.

I didn't know we had strict rules about photographing buildings in France. We certainly have strict rules about photographing people.

The law is pretty unworkable. A photographer from L'Equipe took my picture at the Tour de France - I was alone and in the forefront of the picture and therefore its main feature - and he asked first if I minded. But, as he said, he'd have done that anyway so I'd pose for him. I asked about the privacy law, which didn't affect us because I'd agreed to be pictured, and he said it was a nightmare, pretty unworkable... and that nobody but off-duty film stars objected anyway.

We have to bear the law in mind with our club website and publicity material, however. The general view is that if you are in context - that a cycling club site shows cyclists - there is no problem. In PBP, therefore, there would be no problem. Nor, as Ivo said, in any sports event. And nor in any news event. The law is not there to catch everyday photographers. It is there to protect people who are out of context and therefore have a right to privacy. The classic case is a film star sunbathing; the law has to choose whether she is on the beach privately and therefore for the moment not a public figure, or if being a public figure she knew the attention she would draw through sunbathing.

The clearest case concerns minors. It is not legal to show minors who do not consent, and it is not legal to show the children of politicians and other prominent people merely because they are the offspring of the well-known.

All this is a long way from PBP. But our privacy laws are some of the world's tightest here and I'm sure that if it's allowed for PBP then you really don't have to sweat about LEL. But I don't live in Britain, remember.

french  boy

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #22 on: 09 December, 2010, 11:25:52 pm »
If y'all think it will be no problem, I'm happy with that.  Mrs P, feel free to use any of my photos.  Higher res versions are available through my flickr site, but you knew that.

« Reply #23 on: 10 December, 2010, 12:35:59 am »
I'd love to see some more photos (and am happy for any of mine to be used)!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #24 on: 10 December, 2010, 01:54:20 pm »
I was the member of a photography club and our understanding of the law was that if a person is in a public place then you can take and publish what you like. Audax is on public roads, so when riding there will not be an issue.

There might be an issue if the controls are not considered public places.

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.