Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 133935 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
On Friday evening last week I was leaving my second floor flat to go out when I nearly stood on/tripped over a black cat sitting on my doormat. (Actually, it's next door's doormat, but that flat was vacant for months on end so I nicked and although I told the eventual new tenants it was theirs, they haven't taken it back). Nobody in our stair has a cat so I enticed him downstairs and outside. I tried to have a look at his collar because it had an ID tag on it but as soon as I laid a hand on his collar he slipped his collar and scarpered under the nearest car, leaving me with just the collar. I rang the number on the collar and told them what had happened and as it turned out, they live a few doors down so they came to collect the collar and said Harry the cat would come home when he was ready. Apparently he's quite curious and likes to have a look around.

Last night as I left to go to the penguin lecture he was coming up the stairs between the first and second floor. As soon as he saw me he started meowing very loudly, but I enticed him down the stairs again. As soon as he realised I was going out though, he sat down on the ground floor neighbour's doormat and wouldn't budge.  ;D So I went to pick him up to put him out and as soon as I touched him, he legged it out of the door.

Bobb thinks I should just let him into my flat and keep him but I think that would be wrong. He does seem to like our stair though.  :D And he likes trying to kill me by getting under my feet on our way down the stairs.  ::-)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2013, 04:36:17 pm »
Wouldn't be any harm in encouraging him to have a sniff around from time to time and give the meeces something to worry about, thobut...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2013, 06:22:34 pm »
He can smell you've got a mouse problem and he's trying to tell you! ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2013, 06:27:05 pm »
This is a street of tenements so it's possible my mice are his mice.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2013, 06:44:43 pm »
OK, so he really fancies you and is trying to win you over by depositing the mice in your letterbox when you're not home ;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2013, 08:52:44 pm »
 :o

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2013, 04:46:44 pm »
He's back! He was half way up the stairs when I came home. We had a little chat about the difference between my stair and his stair and he followed me part of the way back down but wouldn't come any further. He did let me stroke him though and he was purring, so I took the opportunity and picked him up. He was ok with that until he realised we were headed for the door, whereupon he fought me every step of the way.  ;D I got him out and shut the door behind him and he sat down firmly on the step and glowered.  ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2013, 08:18:36 pm »
He'll just think you're playing hard to get now ;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2013, 12:46:22 pm »
He's pretty persistent. I was out last night and got back in about half past ten and there was no sign of him. But when I left to go to work this morning, there he was, on our stairs.  ::-) I enticed him down to the ground floor but as soon as he realised I was opening the door, he sat down on a doormat and glared at me. I didn't have time to fanny about so I just left the main door open so he can make his own way home when he feels like it. I don't get why he's so determined to stay in our stair when his own house is 5 doors away! If he's still there when I get home I might let him in for a while so he can see there's nothing for him, and then kick him out again.

He's a very handsome cat. Black, with white front. They're my favourites.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2013, 02:32:58 pm »
If he's still there when I get home I might let him in for a while so he can see there's nothing for him, and then kick him out again.

Are you *sure* that's good cat psychology?  ;)

Letting him in at all is *progress*.  Although there'll be nothing this time, there might be next time. Or the time after that. Or the time after that.   Prrrrrrrrr.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2013, 02:41:49 pm »
Yeah, but he might rub himself round my flat the way he does round the banister uprights and scare the mice away.

:o I hope he's not a double agent, secretly working for the mice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2013, 07:19:05 pm »
We're *all* secretly working for the mice.

Except the dolphins.

« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »
We're *all* secretly working for the mice.

Except the dolphins.

I think the dolphins are working for the mice, they are part of the whole organic matrix. They just know more than us...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2013, 10:48:16 pm »
I reckon Kirst's admirer kitteh is prolly pining for her while she's away at bobb's
There'll be a whole pile of dead meece on the doormat when she gets back... ;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #15 on: 25 May, 2013, 02:00:03 pm »
I hadn't seen him for a few days before I left. I think he's forgotten me.

« Reply #16 on: 29 July, 2013, 03:05:09 pm »
This sheep avoided shearing for 6 years by hiding in a cave. It had enough fleece for 20 suits when finally sheared.

Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2013, 10:51:08 pm »
Ufeasibly large shield bug just flew in through the open door into the kitchen. Fetched implement to remove same from house. On attempting to catch it, it then climbed inside the plug to the multi-plug extension lead that feeds the TV etc. Stupid bastard. So had to take the plug apart as I was a bit worried that he'd get fried. Bug then returned to garden, none the worse for wear.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #18 on: 02 August, 2013, 06:44:27 am »
This sheep avoided shearing for 6 years by hiding in a cave. It had enough fleece for 20 suits when finally sheared.

I don't think I ought to show Mrs. Wow that photo; she might get overexcited.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #19 on: 02 August, 2013, 04:19:46 pm »
A wasp just flew in through the open window, flew around the room, and then - get this - flew straight back out through the open window. It must be some new kind of superwasp.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #20 on: 02 August, 2013, 04:32:40 pm »
A wasp just flew in through the open window, flew around the room, and then - get this - flew straight back out through the open window. It must be some new kind of superwasp.

No, it's the village hive idiot, obviously doesn't understand the ruless, i.e. that you fly in then spend 1/2 hour banging against the window pane right nexct (or underneath) the open one, until someone either squashes you or pushes you out with a rolled up copy of the Sun.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 04 August, 2013, 08:03:04 pm »
Got home from a ride today to find that when I'd shut the front door I'd flattened a bee between the door and the door jamb. I was this - sad :(

Ruth

« Reply #22 on: 09 September, 2013, 07:01:09 pm »
18 floors.  20 apartments per floor.  And they are setting off the fire alarm in EVERY SINGLE APARTMENT.

Poor Milo hasn't come out from under the bed all day. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 09 September, 2013, 07:04:59 pm »
18 floors.  20 apartments per floor.  And they are setting off the fire alarm in EVERY SINGLE APARTMENT.

Poor Milo hasn't come out from under the bed all day.

Just like being a student...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2013, 07:57:26 pm »
The vet was excitedly telling me about Mojo being a medical enigma and getting them all CSI in the lab today.
He was diagnosed with renal failure a couple of years ago but apparently his kidney markers and phosphorus were all completely normal (i.e he appeared 'cured').
They did a T4 which was though the roof, so he has hyperthyroidism. This has had the side effect of increasing blood flow to the kidneys which is why they look normal, but they're not.

So, like Pippin, he's going on thyroid treatment, but not so much that it reduces the levels to normal or his kidneys will look shit again. And he's off all the kidney drugs from today.

Confused? You will be!

Added to that the pair of them are now on the same drug but at different dosages. They are the same size pill and almost exactly the same colour.  :facepalm: