Author Topic: Texas BBQ brisket. Views.  (Read 884 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Texas BBQ brisket. Views.
« on: 08 July, 2015, 05:28:25 pm »
I am interested to see if anyone has tried to do Texas BBQ brisket and with what success. It is apparently the holy grail of BBQ and has very little to do with what we in the UK might think of as BBQ, involving low temperature cooking over many hours and careful pre-treating of the meat. I understand it is even common practice to inject the meat with tenderisers etc.
It is catching on in the 'smokehouse' trend but has anyone given it a go on the panel?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Re: Texas BBQ brisket. Views.
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2015, 05:43:24 pm »
Paging Tiermat, Tiermat to the slightly greasy courtesy phone.

(FWIW I have cooked proper saltbeef, which involves pickling brisket with saltpetre before boiling)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2015, 06:03:23 pm »
I did salt beef a few years ago but got something wrong - completely uneatable.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2015, 09:53:16 pm »
Yes,  shall give more details when I am not using my phone :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2015, 07:25:13 am »
You are all right, BBQ brisket (or it's close relations, salt beef and pastrami) are amazing wen done right, but bloody horrible when done wrong.

To cook a brisket, BBQ style, you need:
A large pieve of brisket (don't try it with a small bit, it just won't work as it dries out too quickly), it needs to be as evenly thick as possible and have the fat trimmed to about 1/4inch.
A BBQ rub (part of the fun is making your own, so do so, adding more of stuff you like, less of what you don't)
A charcoal BBQ that you can control the heat on, or a hot smoker.
A temperature gauge for above
A meat thermometer.

Method
Take the brisket and rub all over, generously, with the rub.
Place in the fridge overnight
Light up the smoker or BBQ
Get it to 180F - 200F
Leave it alone, only adding more fuel if the temp drops, for 5-6 hours, or until the internal temp reads 195-200F

Once it has reached that temp, it is still not ready! Remove it from the grill and wrap it in foil, then several towels and drop it into a cooler box to rest for an hour or so (it will keep warm like this for about 3 hours).

Serve.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State