Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2999712 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Mr Pacey is outside again. Up & down with headphones on & his hands behind his back.   It was raining & blowing a hoolie the other night, he was out there with a brolly.    I suspect some form of coping strategy & hope it works for the poor chap.
i wish it would rain and blow a hoolie here at the moment. It’s too damn hot...
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Where was that stuff about self-deleting e-books and the possibility of the same with printed books? Well...
https://www.bristol247.com/culture/books/bristol-artist-releases-book-that-can-only-be-read-when-warmed-by-human-touch/
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
There has been a part used bottle of Tia Maria (cooking; for the use of) sitting in one of our kitchen cupboards for a long time. How long?  Well, I moved it today to get to something else and noticed the price label on the cap.  Δρx 3,100 "Hellenic Duty Free Shops".

I asked MrsLurker if she had any idea when we bought it.  She thinks it may have been our only visit to Corfu.  Which was, ummm,  errr  1993 but it could have been 1992.  Oh dear.  We have turned into "old people".
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
There has been a part used bottle of Tia Maria (cooking; for the use of) sitting in one of our kitchen cupboards for a long time. How long?  Well, I moved it today to get to something else and noticed the price label on the cap.  Δρx 3,100 "Hellenic Duty Free Shops".

I asked MrsLurker if she had any idea when we bought it.  She thinks it may have been our only visit to Corfu.  Which was, ummm,  errr  1993 but it could have been 1992.  Oh dear.  We have turned into "old people".

Ob-xkcd:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
When my father moved house in 1979 there were items of food (jars and cans) that were priced labelled in £-s-d  (i.e. pre February 1971, and probably substantially pre-1971 as there was dual pricing for about 3 years before the change-over)

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
How about "items that were everyday when you bought them that would now set H&S to kicking & screaming, such as my nice little cannister of white asbestos for making wall-plugs: "Bore hole. Fashion a plug of compound by moistening a small amount and rolling it in your palms... Wash hands after use".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.

Hey!

I was in Corfu in 1992 or 1993. It was lovely. That's where I discovered scuba diving.

I didn't bring any Tia Maria back and whatever I did bring back is well and truly gone. Including the smoking habit that I renewed with a vengeance on arriving in Corfu.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Beardy

• Shedist
We’re packing today to go on our holibobs tomorrow. Well, I say we, but I’m watching the tour on the tv. I think I’m in danger,of being killed utterly 2 DETH !!!!1!!  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

After my father-in-law died in 1995, my mother-in-law kept the various bottles of alcohol that he had started, even though she didn't touch the stuff herself. She held on to them through several house moves (at least three moves that I can remember). We finally got rid of it when clearing out after she died a couple of years ago. I don't know how long he had them in the cupboard before he died but they weren't new.

There was a bottle of Stones Green Ginger Wine among them. I took the risk of tasting it... It hadn't aged well.

We also found a couple of bottles of Babycham lurking at the back of our drinks cupboard recently. These were acquired on a holiday to the Isle of Wight some years ago, staying in a vintage Airstream caravan. The 'quirky' owners must have thought we would like that kind of thing if we were the sort of people who stayed in vintage Airstream caravans on the Isle of Wight. We opened one of them... I suspect it was around the same vintage as the caravan.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
How about "items that were everyday when you bought them that would now set H&S to kicking & screaming, such as my nice little cannister of white asbestos for making wall-plugs: "Bore hole. Fashion a plug of compound by moistening a small amount and rolling it in your palms... Wash hands after use".

Rawlplastic, IIRC...

Sodium Chlorate - Sold as a weedkiller - easily made into an explosive substance. Oh, and the rolls of leaded solder I still have.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I've still got a miniature of Hennessey XO cognac that I got from the distillery in the summer of 1982.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

My wife's aunt* gave us a big box of booze she'd acquired from the heyday of international flight. I swear some of it was from the 50s. I still serve it to guests and not one of them have died. Well, not from the geriatric booze anyway.

*was cabin director or whatever they called them back then on Concorde.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
My wife's aunt* gave us a big box of booze she'd acquired from the heyday of international flight. I swear some of it was from the 50s. I still serve it to guests and not one of them have died. Well, not from the geriatric booze anyway.

*was cabin director or whatever they called them back then on Concorde.

Sounds like fun, when would you like me to pop round?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
There is a very lovely young German student at our summer school. Her name is Fanny. I don’t think I have ever met anyone with that name before. She is a PhD student in Statistics. She has a wonderful soprano voice and she conducted the choir for one of the pieces in tonight’s concert.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

Mum's kitchen cupboard contained items priced in £-s-d well into the 80s. ISTR corn flour was one of them.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End

After my father-in-law died in 1995, my mother-in-law kept the various bottles of alcohol that he had started, even though she didn't touch the stuff herself. She held on to them through several house moves (at least three moves that I can remember). We finally got rid of it when clearing out after she died a couple of years ago. I don't know how long he had them in the cupboard before he died but they weren't new.

There was a bottle of Stones Green Ginger Wine among them. I took the risk of tasting it... It hadn't aged well.

We also found a couple of bottles of Babycham lurking at the back of our drinks cupboard recently. These were acquired on a holiday to the Isle of Wight some years ago, staying in a vintage Airstream caravan. The 'quirky' owners must have thought we would like that kind of thing if we were the sort of people who stayed in vintage Airstream caravans on the Isle of Wight. We opened one of them... I suspect it was around the same vintage as the caravan.

Reminds me of a bottle of Roses Lime Juice that lurked around at the parental home for years and years - it "matured" to the colour of a very dark sherry.

Rob

When I was little (pre school) my father bought a tin of rattlesnake back from one of his voyages to the USA and dared anyone to eat it. It was still in the understairs cupboard when I moved out to university although the can had started to bulge ominously. Don't know when it was thown out but I hope the old man didn't donate it to a food bank.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Mum's kitchen cupboard contained items priced in £-s-d well into the 80s. ISTR corn flour was one of them.

David moved here in 2003 and brought a box of cornflour.
I think I replaced it in 2012 and there's still a bit left.

Just hosted my first warmshowers guests. Lovely couple (though my listing says solo only) 12 weeks in to a 2 year tour. But... they were supposed to arrive today, then yesterday: "we're 20km away, can we come tonight?" Sure... then, later: "actually we're 55km away"... they arrived around midnight.

They left around 4pm, on account of not liking cycling in the rain. Not sure how that 2 year tour is going to work out 4 months from now. Having eaten and drunk all my hospitality, wot I went out and bought/made while they were fast asleep, they asked if they could make pasta. "Of course you can." Did they offer me any??
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Old Joe just bonged (I counted 4 after I noticed it was bonging) 12:18.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Some here will see the logic in this undead superzombie's thought processes.
http://skin-horse.com/comic/miss-unity-2/
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Cudzoziemiec

There is now terrestrial life on the moon. Though it might all have died.
An Israeli spacecraft called Beresheet almost made it to the moon in April. It took a selfie with the lunar surface in the background, but then lost contact with Earth and presumably crashed onto the lunar surface. Now it’s been revealed that the mission was carrying a cargo of dehydrated microscopic lifeforms known as tardigrades.
https://theconversation.com/tardigrades-were-now-polluting-the-moon-with-near-indestructible-little-creatures-121602

Beardy

• Shedist
I’ve just realised that I finished reading my book last night and now either need to find a new one or find something else to occupy my brain until it agrees with my body and goes to sleep.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
There is now terrestrial life on the moon. Though it might all have died.
An Israeli spacecraft called Beresheet almost made it to the moon in April. It took a selfie with the lunar surface in the background, but then lost contact with Earth and presumably crashed onto the lunar surface. Now it’s been revealed that the mission was carrying a cargo of dehydrated microscopic lifeforms known as tardigrades.
https://theconversation.com/tardigrades-were-now-polluting-the-moon-with-near-indestructible-little-creatures-121602

Tardigrade sounds like a demeaning term for someone of low mental acuity.  The beasties themselves look rather endearing, though.

As an insult, I like nematodeAroint thee, nematode!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight