Author Topic: Freeing stuck components  (Read 723 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Freeing stuck components
« on: 22 June, 2010, 02:34:30 pm »
Perceived wisdom has it that if you're unable to undo a component (or in my case, start driving a link out of a new chain) then you need to increase the amount of leverage*.

There is another way which requires no additional tools and can handily be applied very quickly, making it suitable for roadside repairs, working in restricted spaces etc.

When you find yourself requiring more force than you are currently able to bring to bear on the part, just make sure you have a gobby child nearby who is suddenly able to insult you, the bigger the insult the more force will immediately be applied to said stuck component.

The only two things to beware of are:

1. The child has to position him/herself out of your reach so that you don't reach out and belt them instead of freeing stuck parts.

2. Make sure the Vicar isn't within earshot**

* That's leverage as in "weaver", not leverage as in "Everidge"
** Although his wife is alright as she can get a bit foul mouthed in the heat of passion. Alledgedly.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Freeing stuck components
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2010, 02:43:42 pm »
Does the child have to be ginger?
Getting there...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2010, 02:47:13 pm »
No, just sufficiently lippy.

I think last night that it was more the sudden exclamation of "You pussy" rather than the gingerosity of the exclaimer that did the trick.

Followed by a quick explanation of the technique so I didn't kick him.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2010, 02:51:38 pm »
Ok.  It's just that I don't have a ginger one.  I have an ash-blond one fairly readily available on a lot of rides.  I didn't want to have to source a new one :o

And mine can be lippy...
Getting there...