Author Topic: Fitting mudguards to fork with no eyelets, no brake boss or crown hole  (Read 4251 times)

Hi Folks,

Trying to figure out how I might fit a mudguard to a carbo disc fork that has no hole at the crown, nor any eyelets. (Whisky No. 9 Thru-Axle Road Fork).

I can use P-clips at the fork tips I guess, but what should I do at the crown?

Are there any sort of brackets that would go over the steerer (between crown and headset) with a tab on them to attach the guard?

Anyone tackled a similar problem?

Jim

Re: Fitting mudguards to fork with no eyelets, no brake boss or crown hole
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2014, 11:25:37 am »
I wouldn't want to fit anything between the crown race and it's seating - it's precision cut.

Is there a hole up the steerer from the crown? - Can you fit some sort of expanding plug in there?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2014, 11:30:44 am »
Make holes in the mudguard itself and use cable ties around the shoulders of the fork crown.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2014, 11:31:54 am »
I wouldn't want to fit anything between the crown race and it's seating - it's precision cut.

Is there a hole up the steerer from the crown? - Can you fit some sort of expanding plug in there?

Nope, unfortunately not. It's solid carbon.

« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2014, 11:34:14 am »
Make holes in the mudguard itself and use cable ties around the shoulders of the fork crown.

I guess that's an option. Although I was hoping for something that I could use with the clip on/off style guards... Having to cut and re-cable tie every time isn't terribly elegant.

Wonder if I could use P-clips at the top too?

« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2014, 11:49:33 am »
reusable cable ties?
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2014, 11:51:10 am »
How do the mudguards you wanted to use clip on and off? I'm not familiar with this style of 'guards. I'm wondering if you could have them clipping on/off the p-clips in some way: still won't be terribly elegant, but more convenient for frequent fitting/removal than cable ties.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2014, 11:53:00 am »
reusable cable ties?
IME these are more releasable than reusable; once released they don't do up again securely. I found this out when my back light dropped onto the A38 one evening!

« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2014, 12:22:42 pm »
How do the mudguards you wanted to use clip on and off? I'm not familiar with this style of 'guards. I'm wondering if you could have them clipping on/off the p-clips in some way: still won't be terribly elegant, but more convenient for frequent fitting/removal than cable ties.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines. With hardware from the likes of SKS or the was the Bontrager Nebula mudguards clip on and off.

Chris N

« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2014, 12:29:47 pm »

I guess that's an option. Although I was hoping for something that I could use with the clip on/off style guards... Having to cut and re-cable tie every time isn't terribly elegant.

More elegant than P clips, if done right.  Cable ties are cheap, secure and effective.  Anyway, now it's winter you'll not need to remove them until Easter.  Make sure you use helicopter tape under the guards where it touches the carbon fork or you'll wear them away.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 24 November, 2014, 02:02:31 pm »
The reusable cable ties off eBay I've used are just as secure as normal ones.  It's just that you have to leave some ugly excess length sticking out for re-use.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »
I find the reusable ones quite fiddly (you have to pull them in the 'wrong' direction - hard to explain, but I can demonstrate this in the flesh ...). but they do work.

'normal' zip-ties are actually pretty quick to release with a safety-pin (or thin screw-driver). You always have the knife approach to fall back on, and spares are cheap/small/light.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »
Do your forks have Canti brake mounts? I bought a Cantilever brake booster and attached the mudguard to that.

If you don't have canti brake mounds then you could use these:

Elite Vip Bottle Cage Clips 25-50MM

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/elite-vip-bottle-cage-clips-25-50mm

Pop one on each fork leg and then attached the Brake Booster. I assume mudguards are not too heavey so these should suffice?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #13 on: 24 November, 2014, 07:50:48 pm »
Assuming that the steerer is open at the bottom - and I'd have thought it would be a shocking moisture trap if not - it seems more elegant to repurpose a compression headset adjuster - you might want to lose the top cap and switch to a button-head bolt depending on clearance, and it wouldn't be quick-release, but it would be nicely invisible.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: 04 December, 2014, 10:57:49 pm »
Pack of Sugru and 2 Neodymium magnets of wanted dia./thickness - see http://sugru.com/magnet-kit
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.