Author Topic: Dynamo light mount on the front mudguard?  (Read 5850 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Dynamo light mount on the front mudguard?
« Reply #25 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:00:59 pm »
Several French riders on PBP had a piece of handlebars sized tube "fixed" across the lower part of their drop bars with lights suspended below. this seemed to solve the bar bag problem and got the lights well forward.

there was a photo on here somewhere, of a bike with a rear mudguard fitted to the front, so that it was a bit longer over the front of the wheel, with an extra set of  stays at the front end, Looked good, this should be quite sturdy with a wee ally plate topsy and bottomsy,  :thumbsup:

it's the simplest/easiest way of doing it, but not very appealing

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/billmcfadden76/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/20150615_081706_zpsd1frfrdv.jpg.html

Doesn't look to bad

« Reply #26 on: 18 October, 2016, 03:35:20 pm »
Exactly how little mudguard you need forward of the light is left as an exercise for the reader
I spent a while riding with a mudguard that had broken off at the fork crown, and my own front wheel spray got high enough to get on my glasses. To keep your own spray off a fork crown mounted light, you probably need a front mudguard that extends to about 3" or 4" in front of the wheel axle (depending on clearances).
I'd suggest that the long Berthoud mudguards are about right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 18 October, 2016, 07:49:33 pm »
Exactly how little mudguard you need forward of the light is left as an exercise for the reader
I spent a while riding with a mudguard that had broken off at the fork crown, and my own front wheel spray got high enough to get on my glasses.

This is, incidentally, exactly why I've fitted one of those fugly mountain bike mudguard things to my mountain bike.  It doesn't do much for keeping the bike clean, but is well worth it for keeping the spray off your face.