Author Topic: Amber lenses for night riding  (Read 2747 times)

Amber lenses for night riding
« on: 21 June, 2013, 04:11:15 pm »
Tempted to try these; I normally use my standard clear specs at night, but now have now got some prescription wrap-arounds which give greater protection and stop my eyes watering. They have interchangeable lenses, but none in 'clear' - only amber, smoke & polarised brown, and clear lenses are not available for this model. Internet opinion seems divided on how effective amber lenses perform at night - would be interested to get your thoughts/experiences.

Toady

Re: Amber lenses for night riding
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:34:23 pm »
I've done night rides with amber cycling specs.  I didn't really notice any practical difference.  THe only reason I don't use them any more is they spoil your enjoyment of natural daytime colours (IMO).

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2013, 09:37:05 pm »
I used to have clear ones, then I replaced them with "high intensity yellow" (which was great for overcast, dull days, increasing the perceived contrast). The first few times I used them at night I found myself thinking "Ooh, a French car... another French car, what are the chances?"  :facepalm:

Those lenses are now gone, I now have "Persimmon", which I find a little too dark for night time (probably lighter than amber though). Clear are best in the dark imho.

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2013, 09:50:17 pm »
I often use amber during the day to brighten the place up.

At night I change to clear as it is easier to read GPS or instructions as I find at night amber darkens, which is nice for car headlights, but not so nice for road imperfections or reading whatever.

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2013, 08:52:28 pm »
I wear 'yellow' Mumbos all year round (whatever time of day/evening)
I guess after 20 years with them, I've got so used to the tinting that I just see everything

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2013, 01:16:42 pm »
They're thought by some to be problematic and even potentially harmful in bright sunlight, because they open the iris up but many brightly-lit objects are barely filtered at all.  Good on grey days though.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2013, 06:22:53 pm »
Go for eye protection that is gold plated on the inside.

Good for bright sunshine, in or out of the atmosphere.

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »
They're thought by some to be problematic and even potentially harmful in bright sunlight, because they open the iris up but many brightly-lit objects are barely filtered at all.  Good on grey days though.
Sorry, have come late to this thread but have just signed up with the forum.
I sell safety glasses for a living and have to agree with the above quote. The yellow or amber lens is light enhancing and is designed for wearing in low light conditions.
I wouldn't recommend wearing them in full daylight or bright sunlight for any length of time. There are other options such as some (safety) specs such as Bolle Contour ESP which have a coating which cuts glare but still allows the eye to see and recognise full colours. I wear these on both MTB and road bike, and at about 7 or 8 quid a pair are much better value for money than some of the fashionable crap I see for sale at 10 times that price in many a bike shop.  Take heed and save your money folks!!