Author Topic: Nice little climbing article  (Read 2894 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Nice little climbing article
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2013, 01:26:25 am »
They missed the part about lying back and thinking of Wowbagger...   :D

Jakob

« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2013, 01:44:36 am »
As famous as he might be, I don't think they've heard about him here yet....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2013, 07:00:39 am »
Eh?  How can that be?
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2013, 08:21:20 am »
The way a bicycle moves forward is its rider put Watts into the bottom bracket axle. Fundementally, the Watts equation contains ‘Aerodynamics, tyre deformation, geartrain losses and “Sin theta for the inclination’. Knock off most of the Aerodynamic factor and add on more ‘Sin theta’ value for the gradient.
Fit the bike with gearing so the rider can pump 300 watts into the BB when riding up a 8% grade at 8 mph, and he’s happy. On my racebike, it’s a 45” gear, or 39 x 23.

On an 8% grade, I shift down to 46” on my TT bike and keep whacking out 75 – 80 rpm in the usual TT tucked position. Speed is lower than on the flat. Feeling is the same. See Sheldon Brown’s views on gearing and hills.

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2013, 12:27:27 pm »
It was all going well until ....

'All you need is a properly maintained bike, a helmet and the determination to climb Cypress'

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2013, 12:42:22 pm »

(purely in the interests of balance. This isn't the place for a proper h****t debate)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2013, 12:31:47 am »

(purely in the interests of balance. This isn't the place for a proper h****t debate)

Cyclists were fearless and carefree back then because they took drugs ...  :thumbsup:

Jakob

« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2013, 12:37:45 am »
It was all going well until ....

'All you need is a properly maintained bike, a helmet and the determination to climb Cypress'

Yes, that completely invalidates the rest of the article. Sorry for wasting your time.

« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2013, 12:40:57 am »
Interesting artcle, Jakob.  But where are these 5-6% hills?!  There are not many round here!

Disgruntled of Rochdale

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2013, 04:21:36 pm »
Interesting artcle, Jakob.  But where are these 5-6% hills?!  There are not many round here!

Disgruntled of Rochdale

Or here, 10% and up

Wheezy of Plymouth,
are we nearly there yet?