Author Topic: Training / Preparation for Audax  (Read 6669 times)

MarkA

Training / Preparation for Audax
« on: 22 September, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »
Having singularly failed to ride any significant Audax in the current season I have set my sights on the R1000 next season.  I plan to ride maybe two 200s and then the 300.

I have ridden one 200 previously (entered two and DNF on first).  I was fairly full value on the 200 I did complete.  I have probably ridden 100 miles or more on 5 occasions over the past two / three years.  Not done anything over 60k recently.

I have a rough idea of the sort of training / preparation for Audax i.e. 1 long weekend ride and shorter faster rides / turbo in the week.  I know it’s important to ensure a comfortable bike fit.  I have the usual shortage of time many on here find with work and young family.  Work doesn’t provide me with the opportunity to commute. However I can normally manage a three / four hour ride most weekends.

My question is – based on my target of R1000 – realistically how many hours a week should I be cycling between now and the spring?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Training / Preparation for Audax
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2014, 01:47:30 pm »
The trick to riding any distance is to build up to it

So this time of year get used to riding 100km

If you can get out on the bike at all during the week, even for an hour, do it.

So the idea is to do as much mileage per week as possible, with 100km as your basic easy to do distance.  If you can get to the stage where 100km is easy-ish then try going faster.  Try something like doing the second half of the ride at the highest pace possible.

When your first 200km is due try and do a long ride a couple of weekends before, maybe 150km.  Week before the 150km do a 100km.  You should be able to cope with the 100km as you have been trying to do a few over the winter.  Week before the 200km take it easy, don't ride, rest.

So I suggest a 4 week build up: weekend 1, 100km, weekend 2, 150km, weekend 3, a short light ride, week before the 200km no riding, then the 200km at the weekend

Some people say that the "short light ride" should actually be something like a warm up then an hour of hill repeats.  So not "light" as such, just short.

A thing I've noticed with beginner audax riders they don't pick their battles.  Don't do events in January or when the weather is bloody awful.  It's just making another obstacle.  Wait until later in the year

MarkA

« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2014, 02:23:10 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  That's more or less what I had in mind - but its really helpful to know that I'm on the right lines.  My plan is to do a couple of 200s in the spring followed by a 300 in July - so giving myself time to build up and some better weather for the rides.  Season before the current one I did the 100km per month challenge - so this year will just try to do more 100km over the winter.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2014, 02:23:39 pm »
You sound 'time poor'.
Just about anyone can do Audax rides.
If you haven't really got time to put in huge miles, work on all the other factors.
Get nutrition and hydration right - make sure you know and get the foods that suit you often enough.
Minimise faffage; decide in advance exactly what you will do at a control, do it and go! If there are controls at places with online menus (Like Wetherspoon's pubs), study these at home and know what you'll order on arrival.
You can do it!

« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2014, 02:45:59 pm »
In the dying years of the last century my totally unscientific training took this form: Ride a 100 in Jan. Ride a 100 in Feb flat-out to the point where I blew up, then limp to the finish. Repeat with 200s in March and April. Then I was set for the season.

This does not constitute advice.

« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2014, 12:14:06 pm »
It might be a good idea to do a couple of 100-150s in October and November if you can find some in your local area.You don't want to be spending too much time traveling just yet.Where abouts do you live Mark?

MarkA

« Reply #6 on: 23 September, 2014, 12:39:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice and encouragement all.  I live near Derby and there are plenty of 100 - 150 km audaxs available reasonably locally and I might well try one or two this side of Christmas.  Based on the advice I think my main plan will be to try to go out and ride 100km as regularly as possible (not necessarily audax as I need to fit times around other commitments) over the winter and then ride a couple of 200s in the spring and then hopefully I will be able to make the jump to a 300 in the summer.  Ill also try and do
some shorter faster rides / turbo in the week to try to get my speed up as the audaxs I have done I haven't really had much time in hand. I don't really have any doubt I will be able to train up to 200s as I have managed that previously.  Its the jump to 300 that's more of a concern when I will probably only have managed a couple of 200s. 

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 23 September, 2014, 12:55:32 pm »
100s over winter/early spring are solid advice.  Don't all have to be audaxes either - check out local reliability trials in early spring.  I usually ride a few in the early part of the year, typically around 100km around usually reasonably challenging terrain.

Its the jump to 300 that's more of a concern when I will probably only have managed a couple of 200s. 

As someone wiser than me said, "if you can ride a 200, you can ride a 300" and it's probably about right.  A 300, once the days get longer, is not as big a step as you might think as long as you've sorted out comfort and nutrition etc. on your 200km rides.  Pace yourself and a 300 is very achievable for most decent riders.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #8 on: 23 September, 2014, 03:07:30 pm »
Derby is a great place to be based for a new Audax rider loads of well organised rides less than 1hrs drive away.How about A autumn day out 150km.Starts in Trowell.Is that local enough?3 nice cafes too.I did it last year and would recomend as a idea way for you to meet local AUKs.
I would join a local club to help get your speed up slightly and get you used to riding in a group.You should be able to find loads of good non audax rides of 50-60miles.But I would say winter 100s are a great way to meet experianced long distance riders.
By March you will have the base miles and more inportantly the confidence to tackle your first 200.Remember a 200 is just a 150k ride with a bit stuck on the end.Look out for a copy of long distance cycling by Simon Doughty.About 10 years old now but still relevant today.Happy days!

« Reply #9 on: 23 September, 2014, 04:00:28 pm »
When I was nervous about trying an easter arrow, boab otp advised me to to do some speed riding, I forget what she called it.

Basically it involved riding as hard as possible for a period of 15-20 minutes, easing off until I'd recovered, then repeating. I was able to build this in to my regular commute and it made a considerable difference.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

MarkA

« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2014, 08:52:01 am »
Again thanks for all the replies and encouragement.  The main thing I wanted was a steer regarding the kind of commitment required to have some chance of achieving my goals and if this was realistic for me given other commitments on my time.  I have a good steer from experienced people on here and the time commitment does seem more or less achievable for me.  All I need do now is get out and ride lots of 100kms over the winter and then see how I get on with some 200s. 

« Reply #11 on: 24 September, 2014, 12:25:19 pm »
Basically it involved riding as hard as possible for a period of 15-20 minutes, easing off until I'd recovered, then repeating.

Fartlek? Or intervals?

As for stepping up distances, I tend to think that if you're reasonably comfortable at the shorter distance, then the next longer one will be a matter of pacing and mental fortitude rather than needing specific training, as long as you're riding a bit during the week.

One thing that's worth trying IMO is not using a car to get to rides. If you've got an event that's about 20 or 25km away, ride there. You won't have to leave home *much* earlier, the extra miles act as a warm-up or wind-down without time pressure, and if you know that you've done 150km or 250km in a day, then signing up for a 200 or a 300 doesn't feel like a big jump.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #12 on: 24 September, 2014, 12:35:50 pm »
Hopefully not repeating the good events above. 

You can't choose your weather on the event, and you may get surprising terrain on an event (its not the big hill that you know about that kills you it is the one that you weren't expecting, even if it isn't anywhere near as bad as the hill you did know about).

So when you have training, make sure you ride in bad weather.  If you have time for 50k on a windy day - do it with the wind on the way out so you get the experience of riding into a headwind when your tired.  Make sure you are comfortable in the rain. 

Also, when training, find hillier routes that you would tackle in an Audax.  That way the events will feel easier.

The other problems I had when starting out were working out what to eat and when - there's loads of threads on this across the forum but to sum up, its about working out what works for you and that again, is best done by practice.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

MarkA

« Reply #13 on: 24 September, 2014, 02:01:00 pm »
Thanks that's useful advice and both riding to events and in bad weather / more hills can all be achieved without effectively any additional time commitment so very helpful.

« Reply #14 on: 06 November, 2014, 07:58:18 am »
Again thanks for all the replies and encouragement.  The main thing I wanted was a steer regarding the kind of commitment required to have some chance of achieving my goals and if this was realistic for me given other commitments on my time.  I have a good steer from experienced people on here and the time commitment does seem more or less achievable for me.  All I need do now is get out and ride lots of 100kms over the winter and then see how I get on with some 200s. 

Shameless plug   http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-738/

Not to far away

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #15 on: 08 November, 2014, 10:39:04 am »
I managed my first SR this year and for me the key was a mental game I played with myself - If I can ride X distance comfortably then I can probably ride 2X at a stretch. This is factoring out hills! So at the beginning of the year you do a couple of 100s, then you know you can do the next 200 and once you've done a couple you know that you can do 400, and the common wisdom is that a 600 is then not too much of a challenge. 300/400s are hard (and fun) because they take you into sleep-deprivation land - then you need to focus on things like eating enough and slowing yourself down! If you have comfy 200 fitness then you can certainly do an easy 600. There's the FITNESS angle and then there's the CONDITIONING angle which includes position on bike, not falling off your bike, eating strange food at odd hours, mental forbearance, bottom comfort etc. You need both!

MarkA

« Reply #16 on: 11 November, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »
Thanks Geoff.  I did the Flowers to Furnace last year and would like to do it again this year but my elderly parents might be moving house that weekend.

Based on all the above advice my plan is now to complete 4 200 events in the spring and then a 300 which will be my main target for the year.  Over the winter as advised I will be doing as many 100k rides as possible and I'm up to 120k so far.  Three or four years ago my main target for the year was a 100 (completed), then the year after it was a 200 (completed) and now its a 300 so that's progress I suppose.