Author Topic: turbo train for warm up and tyres  (Read 1688 times)

turbo train for warm up and tyres
« on: 18 June, 2014, 11:54:03 am »
Ok, so I've decided I want to be a real tw*t and will be warming up on a TT before l'etape du tour this year ;-)

but then... I thought about the tyre...  so am I safe warming up for 30 minutes on my TT with a regular tyre?  or is this asking for trouble?  I guess I need to know the rate of shred of TT to Tyre really, but can't seem to find the formula anywhere.  Obviously you see the pros doing this but I guess they have bikes specifically for the TT with a TT tyre installed and then jump on their race bike.  Why is everything so complicated!!!!

Re: turbo train for warm up and tyres
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2014, 07:48:09 pm »
I've got a spare wheel with a turbo tyre on I use, and just swap onto the race wheel when I've warmed up. I mainly use the turbo to warm up for crits rather than tts, but the principle is the same.

I also use a set of warm up wheels if I'm warming up on the road for a tt - nothing worse than puncturing your best silk tub warming up! (and it means that there's always a set of spare wheels just in case).

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: turbo train for warm up and tyres
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2014, 10:45:23 am »
Some tyres react very badly to Turbo Trainers (more precisely they conduct heat to the inner tube quickly and the inner tube reacts badly).
I've had more punctures on my Turbo Trainer than on the road this past winter.  I've had a tyre "bunch-up", sort of delaminate, before now.

Some Tyres seem fine.

I wouldn't be confident using my TT tyre just before a race. 

I use a heavy, worn out,  rear 28mm Schwalbe Marathon on my Trainer, it's been 100% reliable.  The added benefit is that it adds a bit of weight/momentum to the wheel, making it all feel a bit more realistic.

Worst case is that you spend 5 minutes swapping a tyre.  Doesn't everyone have an old rear wheel hanging in their garage, gathering cobwebs?  That's what those Nails and screws are for in your garage, for hanging wheels (that you will never use) on.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.