Author Topic: Garmin software - anybody updated theirs?  (Read 1725 times)

Garmin software - anybody updated theirs?
« on: 21 January, 2011, 07:18:08 pm »
I've noticed the software version on my 2 year old Etrex Legend HCx is 2.00.

A trip to the Garmin site tells me I can download 3.20.

Just thought I'd see if there's any horror stories before I install the update in a futile attempt to solve my fade-out problems I've had with the unit.

corshamjim

Re: Garmin software - anybody updated theirs?
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2011, 07:28:49 pm »
I updated my Dakota without problem.  It takes a while so make sure batteries are good before starting.  IIRC I didn't lose any data but I wouldn't assume that so if you have anything on there important, back it up if you can.

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:29:36 pm »
I always update mine. Sometimes it is best to leave it a week or so from release as sometimes you get bugs from Gamin. I had the odd problem with my 705 but the Oregon has been fine. I do believe companies use users as beta testers nowadays in the rush to launch new kit!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:36:49 pm »
I've done a couple of updates to various Garmins over the years.  No problems.

Usual firmware flashing rules apply: back it up first, don't have unnecessary crap running when you do the update.

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:43:03 pm »
I've done that upgrade to my Vista HCx with no trouble at all.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:03:55 am »
You'd barely notice any difference on the Etrexes anyway - really only minor bug fixes and mittel-European language tweaks, etc.

On the Dakota and Oregon - if anyone's had theirs a for over a year without updating it - well there are several significant tweaks and new facilities in the newer software versions, especially relating to track-following.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

corshamjim

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2011, 11:34:35 am »
Thanks for that.  I haven't updated my Dakota for a while - it sounds like I should.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 22 February, 2011, 06:55:58 am »
Last week I updated my Garmin Geko 201 (nine years old!) from version 2.0 to version 2.9 - worked a treat.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:44:55 am »
Updated my 705, no obvious differences that I can see.  Still takes eons to get a signal though.

« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:48:50 am »
Updated my 705, no obvious differences that I can see.  Still takes eons to get a signal though.

How long is eons? Mine takes ~30 seconds (so 45 seconds from switching it on) max.

If it's been a while (more than a week) since it was last used, or it has been moved hundreds of miles since it was last used, then it can take up to 10 minutes to fully lock on. It takes a while to download an accurate almanac/ephemeris data.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2011, 07:17:18 pm »
It seems to have a problem when it is cloudy.  The worst I have had is about 15 minutes.