Author Topic: Weasel flying on a woodpecker  (Read 2643 times)

Weasel flying on a woodpecker
« on: 03 March, 2015, 10:15:59 am »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weasel flying on a woodpecker
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2015, 12:53:41 pm »
Isn't it?
It's been on my Twitterfeed, on Facebook and I think one of the news sites I use regularly...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31711446

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2015, 01:04:34 pm »
Why do I feel the need to drift off on to the carrying ability of the African Swallow?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2015, 01:13:23 pm »
Why did the weasel hitch a lift on a woodpecker's back?

Because he couldn't afford the weasel fuel.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2015, 01:14:24 pm »
Stoatin!
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2015, 03:39:28 pm »
Must a lid be put on all this punning?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2015, 03:44:33 pm »
You would peck away at our fun?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2015, 04:11:06 pm »
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2015, 06:28:47 pm »
It's just made the BBC's Six O'Clock News.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2015, 06:42:32 pm »
It was on Auntie's News wibble before midday.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 03 March, 2015, 11:51:01 pm »
The Graun piece about that included some very scathing comments about how it was "photoshopped". It looked pretty genuine to me, and it's entirely plausible. The green woodpecker is a ground-feeding bird a lot of the time, hacking into ants' nests for food. Weasels are sneaky little gits who attack their prey from behind. The are also quite happy taking on something much bigger than themselves and their method of killing their prey is to bike it in the neck.

Many moons ago our old dog, George Doodlebugs by name, killed a weasel. The unfortunate mustelid had hidden inside an old farmyard pump which my dad had acquired with a view to attaching it to the well that was in our garden. The pump was lying innocently in a corner, but the dog was well aware that the weasel was in there, making a huge amount of effort and a lot of noise as he tried to get the weasel out. In the end my dad got so fed up with the racket the dog was making that he tipped the pump up and out slid the weasel. I'm sorry the dog killed it because I like mustelids as a group of animals, and this weasel got a few good bites in on the dog's nose before he died.

Actually, something has just crossed my mind: some years ago, on the way home after one of the Foulness Bike Rides, we came across an injured weasel by the side of the road. I thought at first that its back was broken and another cyclist who had stopped to look was thinking about putting it out of its misery. However, it seemed to recover as we watched, even though there was a lesion on its back, and eventually it disappeared into the grass. I mentioned this to my brother, who was a scientific officer with English Nature before he retired, and his suggestion was that a predatory bird may well have caught it and dropped it. That, of course, may well have happened, but it's equally possible that the weasel could have attacked a bird on the ground and hitched a lift, as in the woodpecker case.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 03 March, 2015, 11:56:31 pm »
The Graun piece about that included some very scathing comments about how it was "photoshopped". It looked pretty genuine to me, and it's entirely plausible. The green woodpecker is a ground-feeding bird a lot of the time, hacking into ants' nests for food. Weasels are sneaky little gits who attack their prey from behind. The are also quite happy taking on something much bigger than themselves and their method of killing their prey is to bike it in the neck.

Wonderfull typo in the context!

« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2015, 06:34:22 am »
The Graun piece about that included some very scathing comments about how it was "photoshopped".

The one with Putin riding a weasel riding a woodpecker is genuine though, right?

red marley

« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2015, 06:58:42 am »

« Reply #15 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:09:00 pm »
The Graun piece about that included some very scathing comments about how it was "photoshopped". It looked pretty genuine to me, and it's entirely plausible.
I read that comment. Their justification for saying it was photoshopped was the out of focus background. Presumably this 'expert' knows nothing about photography.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #16 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:55:47 pm »
I know the chap who took the photo. Lives down the road from me in Brighton. He was due to be on the 10-o-clock news about it, and was excited, but couldn't get anyone to look after their two nippers in time.

Will see him this weekend and so will drill him for further info. He takes wildlife photography so I'd say, he's a fortunate chap to capture it.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #17 on: 04 March, 2015, 01:18:14 pm »
I like the take on it in todays Independent cartoon

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:17:38 pm »
Confession. I had my wires crossed, and the chap I was describing, was in fact, being invited up to the 10'0clock news to say whether or not he thought it was photoshopped.

I have never met, nor know the chap who actually took the photo of Weasel and Green Woodpecker flying off somewhere.

In fact, it wasn't photoshopped, but is 'real'.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #19 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:39:16 pm »
Or The Times cartoon of the 4th

It is simpler than it looks.