Author Topic: Cycling on your own  (Read 6166 times)

Re: Cycling on your own
« Reply #50 on: 20 August, 2010, 01:45:15 pm »
99.9% of my riding these days is by myself, and I do like being able to set my own pace.

I like to start out really slow; it takes me at least 30min to get my legs shifting. Whenever I ride with other people (mostly my kids), they take off like a rocket. Then I end up pushing them up the hills  ::-)

It would be nice to ride with some adults . . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #51 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:29:47 pm »
I think I'm more of a social cyclist, I find I really have to push myself to keep going on my own whereas with a group the miles fly by. I think my lack of navigational skillz might add to this feeling. The 200km audax I completed (my first ever) was almost 100% alone and I felt this made it even more of a challenge to complete because I had to constantly make sure I was keeping the right pace and not going off route. The problem for me is not many ride my pace, particularly up hills and so riding with me would probably be a form of torture. The CTC group rides I do most weeks are fun and generally push me to ride a bit faster which is a good thing.

border-rider

« Reply #52 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »
I think that's a very good point Feline

I tend to trundle when I'm on my own without anyone to whip me along; I've found that using a heart rate monitor helps - if I know what heart rate corresponds to a decent group pace, i can try to keep that up on my own. It also tells me if I'm going too fast when i am riding with others.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #53 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:37:56 pm »
I'm the total opposite to you feline < I love doing the Audax perms and now I've got loads of points in perms AAA and touring points and only 4 club run points so I 've got a lot of club runs to do before the season is out  :-[

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #54 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:41:13 pm »
I  agree , I myself go a little slower though I like it that way. It's good fun cycling in a group too. I love em the same though I do like my own company.
I think that's a very good point Feline

I tend to trundle when I'm on my own without anyone to whip me along; I've found that using a heart rate monitor helps - if I know what heart rate corresponds to a decent group pace, i can try to keep that up on my own. It also tells me if I'm going too fast when i am riding with others.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #55 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:42:51 pm »
I like both, but while my pace is about right for a lot of "social" rides, I'm not sure my "rhythm" fits: I have a more-or-less-irresistable urge to put on a bit of extra power at the bottom of a hill, trying to keep the pace as even as possible -- but this doesn't seem to fit with the usual etiquette.

Perhaps I'm an evil MAMIL  :(.

Overall favourite is probably riding tandem.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #56 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:48:01 pm »
Tandem ! I don't get it. Well not being at the back. I like to feel in controll though it's something I've never tried. One day I'd love to have a go at the front lol
I like both, but while my pace is about right for a lot of "social" rides, I'm not sure my "rhythm" fits: I have a more-or-less-irresistable urge to put on a bit of extra power at the bottom of a hill, trying to keep the pace as even as possible -- but this doesn't seem to fit with the usual etiquette.

Perhaps I'm an evil MAMIL  :(.

Overall favourite is probably riding tandem.

« Reply #57 on: 20 August, 2010, 08:16:14 pm »
At least 99% alone - who else wants to go out every day at 6.30 in summer and 7.00 in winter?!

It gets me up and I still have the day when I get home. And I enjoy my own pace, own thoughts and own fag breaks, watching the ducks and herons.

Last winter we formed a small group out of the County Council Rural Rides programme - and I did go out quite a few Sundays at a more sociable time with the 2 or 3 folk whose resolve didn't disappear with the cold and wet and ice. That was good.

In any case, I'm really too slow for most people!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #58 on: 20 August, 2010, 08:28:57 pm »
Tandem ! I don't get it. Well not being at the back. I like to feel in controll though it's something I've never tried. One day I'd love to have a go at the front lol

To be honest, I've only ever sat in the pilot's seat.  Would quite like to try stoking someday -- it should be within the adjustment range for our tandem's stoker seat/bars -- but need to find someone tall and reasonably strong to pilot.  I suspect that even if I enjoy stoking, I'll end up throwing my weight around a bit  :-[.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #59 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:01:13 pm »
The vast majority of my riding is by myself, but that's because it's my commute, which is 5000+ miles of my annual 8000 odd miles.  In the last ten years, I think I've cycled with people I know when commuting for less than ten miles, mainly because I've so rarely met anyone.

Most of my other cycling is done socially, generally on a WARTY, FNRttC, Peli & Woolly Pootle, or some other ride organised on here.  People on here seem to have a much better idea of routes to cycle, and cake stops and pubs along the way.

There are various reasons why I don't cycle much by myself (other than commuting), but some that come to mind are:

(i) Paranoia about problems.  I've actually lived by myself for a large majority of the last 25+ years, so you'd think I was totally independent and ready to deal with anything, but there is always this slight angst that something is going to go wrong, that'll leave me stranded miles from anywhere with no solution.  At least cycling with others, it's a problem shared, which makes it seem better!  Having said that, over the years I've been pretty lucky and only had fairly easily dealable issues, visits from the fairy, things which just need tightening up, or adjusting with the tools that I always carry (maybe this is why I have the toolkit I do!)

(ii) I cycle too fast.  When I'm cycling (and for that matter running as well), I tend to cycle too fast, and inevitably knacker myself out, so the second half (or more) of the ride is ridiculously hard work.  Cycling with others helps me pace myself.  I cycled bits of the Dun Run by myself this year, but the majority was either with Team Slow, or towards the end with Luke (when we both lost contact with the others), which both kept me going, but also kept the pace sensible.  I can't say I've ever really worried about people at the back of a ride going too slow and causing problems for the rest of the group.  I've been TEC on a fair number of FNRttCs, and only on the Martlets ride, in March, was it a problem, with a couple of cyclists who really had problems, and wouldn't have finished if they hadn't been convinced to get in the sag wagon by Simon.  Even then I was willing to go on with them as long as it took, if the were wiling to continue.  None of the rides I do are exactly speedy or distant (with the odd exception), so plodding along is fine.

(iii) Interesting stuff that you see is far more interesting with other people to talk about it with.  It's great coming on here and posting "I saw XYZ today", but there's nothing like talking about it with someone who saw it at the same time as you, and probably has different views or takes on it.  It can be something to talk about whilst cycling along as well, but I can always find something to ramble on about if someone I'm with isn't suggesting much stuff, assuming they aren't be uncommunicative because they hate my guts. ;D  With people who are at the back of a ride, if they are having a bit of a hard time of it, I reckon that me rambling on about random nonsense may give them something else to think about, rather than how steep the hill is, and at worst give them someone to be annoyed with, which is also probably a bit distracting away from the effort of the ride!

(iv) If the ride is long enough, you have to stop for cake, tea, and eventually a decent meal.  I really don't like eating in places by myself.  I much prefer to stop in a nice pub and have a beer, some good food, and a chat.  Even stopping for tea is nicer if you've got someone to chat to.  Now admittedly you may meet someone new and friendly, who you wouldn't have met had you been with a group, but more often than not I've eaten stuff rapidly and without much of a rest since sitting somewhere eating by yourself is just a bit naff.  I've done it enough when I've visited some place for work, and at least I'm being paid to be sat in a restaurant by myself, and I'll usually manage to find something to read.  Stopping on a bike ride for fuel isn't half as enjoyable when you're by yourself.

(v) Historically I didn't know many cyclists.  Many of the people I've worked with haven't been cyclists, they've all tended to drive to work, although this is less true in London than it was further out in the boondocks.  Until the greater popularity of the Internet, and the existence of virtual places like yacf and CycleChat, there was less chance of meeting up with, and going for rides with like minded people.  I've been a member of the CTC for yonks, but never really met up with other members prior to meeting them on here independently of the CTC.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Chris S

« Reply #60 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:03:50 pm »
I LOVE cycling on my own.

I LOVE cycling with others.

Cycling. It's SO adaptable.

« Reply #61 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:05:43 pm »
I'm just as happy riding on my own or in company.

I have two good cycling friends who I've known for decades and we do social rides and audaxes together. Always good fun, with lots of banter, fooling around  and beer. Something like 'Last of the Summer Wine', but on bikes.

I also go on some social rides with the local B.U.G. (Bicycle User Group) which always seem to end up with us eating cake or drinking beer.

Sometimes though, I just want to get that, 'On my own, self sufficient feeling'. Riding without any set destination or route. Deciding at each junction which way to go next.

Then there's the fun of riding solo and seeing just how far and fast you can push yourself. Riding a familiar route and seeing if you can clip a few minutes off you usual time, with no pacing or assistance from anyone else.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #62 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:32:12 pm »
Most of my riding has been done on my own.  For a period I rode with my then local CTC DA and enjoyed that, it was a good link into a new area.  I've tried teaming up with others but it's been unsuccessful: I find myself with hardcore MTBers (I'm a slow and cautious off road rider) or hardcore roadies (I'm too slow and don't have any bikes that they would regard as normal).  And entering the Dark Side has propelled me into a minority of a minority - I've never seen any recumbent cyclists, let alone trikers, round here (although am always meeting people who ask if I know that other guy who rides a recumbent - yeah, that's me on one of my other bents).

But I do like solo riding - my mind goes off and follows its own contours, I become immersed in the landscape, I sing, I start, I stop, go as slow or as quick as I like.  I never seem to hit a comfortable pace when riding with others.

I do like riding tandem, though (as pilot!)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #63 on: 22 August, 2010, 05:15:02 pm »
One of the main reasons i love doing audaxes is that I am on my own when i'm actually cycling, but  chatting to people in controls and having the social aspect when stopped. This is the best of both worlds in my opinion.
I have become sick of the club runs I go on, they piss me off now - I don't think I'll bother going with them again, or at least I might find a different cycling club. They seem to be constantly speeding up and slowing down - they aren't happy unless you are 6 inches from the guy in front's wheel, if you aren't, they muscle their way in, and if I go at the front, they expect a furious pace to be set otherwise they just overtake again. And they don't wait for anybody that gets dropped, so you'd better make sure you know the way back, fortunately I do.

As regard actually cycling with soembody else, if you are cycling with somebody and you are chatting or even just making small talk like pointing out random observations, that's fair enough, but if I am with somebody who doesn't say a word for miles on end and and doesn't really want to be talked to either, then without wanting to sound unsociable, the countryside ahead normally makes for a better view than their arse (and probably for them than mine), so there is little point making an effort to stick with them in my view.
That said I never mind somebody cycling with me just by virtue of the fact that coincidentally they just happen to be going the same speed, as long as they aren't getting in the way.

« Reply #64 on: 22 August, 2010, 06:21:25 pm »
I have become sick of the club runs I go on, they piss me off now ...

I've heard similar comments from other people, and it doesn't encourage me to search out any of these clubs, not that I probably cycle fast enough for them in the first place!

As regard actually cycling with soembody else, if you are cycling with somebody and you are chatting or even just making small talk like pointing out random observations, that's fair enough, but if I am with somebody who doesn't say a word for miles on end and and doesn't really want to be talked to either, then without wanting to sound unsociable, the countryside ahead normally makes for a better view than their arse ...

Generally I'll chat when cycling with others, but with night rides (and I do quite a few) sometimes you do find your just a bit too dopey and tired to start a conversation.  Cycling with Luke at the end of the Dun Run I don't think either of us was feeling that chatty, but it was nice to cycle with someone I knew a bit, and who was doing roughly the same sort of speed as me (although to be honest I think he'd have gone faster without me there!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #65 on: 22 August, 2010, 06:30:55 pm »
I enjoy cycling both on my own and in the right company. I have no problem riding with people of slower pace (and slowing myself down to that pace). I do have a problem with people who are not prepared to slow down to the pace of slower riders on 'leisure' rides as opposed to 'training' rides.

Have done upto 200km rides alone and 1 week cycle tours

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #66 on: 22 August, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »
I quite like cycling on my own - the being able to stop whenever I like (either to look at the views and smell the flowers or because it's too bloody steep and I need to pick my lungs up) is quite pleasant, and I've never felt lonely or vulnerable when I've headed out on my own.  But I am rubbish at navigating and fettling, so riding in a (friendly sociable not speedy) group always feels very reassuring to me, as well as being a different kind of fun.  I felt a bit sorry for billplumtree, when he rode out to meet the cub and I, as the only adult conversation I'd had for several days was people in B&Bs, and the odd random conversation with strangers (I tend to find that these happen quite often when you cycle with a cute-ish small).  Those who have met me may have noticed that I can talk the hind leg off a donkey at the best of times, so after 4 days of conversation almost exclusively with the 8 year old I may have been just a little bit gabby....

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #67 on: 22 August, 2010, 08:32:41 pm »
... I may have been just a little bit gabby....

Nah.  As a card-carrying, fully paid-up aspie, I'm a much better listener than a talker.  I'd say we struck a good balance  :)

And I hope the Cub doesn't see that you qualified his being cute with an '-ish'!

« Reply #68 on: 23 August, 2010, 08:36:07 am »
Having ridden and led a CTC group for nearly 25 years in and around the Essex lanes, in June this year I left them and now ride solo and enjoying every minute of it. I can stop when I like, speed up or slow down, go off road without the normal moans I once had behind me!