Author Topic: RIP Peter Green  (Read 2115 times)

RIP Peter Green
« on: 25 July, 2020, 05:10:17 pm »
He of the two pronged crown is no more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53539989
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: RIP Peter Green
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2020, 05:57:15 pm »
Wonderful player, but sadly walked a very troubled path. Maybe the two are always destined to go together somehow.

It's worth reminding ourselves who actually wrote [and sang] the original version. Not a lot of people know that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PyhrHOtRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRu7Pt42x6Y

Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2020, 06:56:15 pm »
Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2020, 07:01:20 pm »
"He has the sweetest tone I ever heard , he was the only one to give me the cold sweats "   B B King .

I often change my " Top ten Records " but  Peter Green's  Fleetwood Mac    sublime  ~ Need Your Love So Bad    Is always in . 

Colin

RIP  Mr Green
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2020, 07:10:01 pm »
Someone who has forged a great place in music, and influenced many.
In all honesty, I’m amazed he lived as long as he did. I saw him live over 10 years ago and he clearly wasn’t well.
Our parents lied to us - getting involved in sex, drugs and rock and roll wasn’t all that bad for one!

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2020, 07:12:37 pm »
Wonderful player, but sadly walked a very troubled path. Maybe the two are always destined to go together somehow.

It's worth reminding ourselves who actually wrote [and sang] the original version. Not a lot of people know that.

It would never have occurred to me to think of Santana for that track!

I thought you were going to refer to little Willie John's original of "Need Your Love so Bad", which, as Colin intimates, is actually Peter Green's greatest track and contains the sound that BB was probably referring to.  It's just a chiller and satisfyingly easy to play, too!

Incidentally, Little Willie John also wrote "Fever" - and I guess even more people don't know that!

RIP, Peter.  As you suggest VB, a life sadly twisted, in PG's case I think originally by LSD.

The first Fleetwood Mac album on which John Spencer* does a blistering version of "Dust My Broom", channeling Elmore James, is terrific.

*  See below for correction!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2020, 07:19:13 pm »
s/John/Jeremy, unless music's loss was snooker's gain ;)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 25 July, 2020, 07:40:39 pm »
One of those that is always in my play list,

A recent conversation with an Aberdonian after the current incarnation play the AECC "it's not the same without Lindsey", they seemed confused when I replied "don't you mean without Peter Green?"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2020, 07:50:01 pm »
s/John/Jeremy, unless music's loss was snooker's gain ;)

Yes, of course!  Confusingly, the same name as an actor of short fame.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #9 on: 25 July, 2020, 09:04:32 pm »
np: the 3-CD "Live In Boston", from February 1970.  Contains not one but two >24 minute versions of "Rattlesnake Shake".  Oh yes.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10 on: 25 July, 2020, 11:07:09 pm »
 :(

« Reply #11 on: 26 July, 2020, 11:10:01 am »
Forget to mention what n effective singer he was, too.  Great timing in "Oh Well".

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:43:49 am »
Seems Miss von Brandenburg's future f-i-l was in the Bluesbreakers alongside Peter Green.  For about a week, until he got the boot and Aynsley Dunbar moved in.  And when Mr Green did his first comeback gigs the future Mr von Brandenburg auditioned for the drummer's slot.  Unsuccessfully.

Wheeee!  Tenuous Claims to Fame!

« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2020, 04:23:28 pm »
Bah. That sucks.

Word on the street when he replaced Clapton in the Bluesbreakers was that he was by far the better player.

My bro's O Level history project was 'The story of British Blues', and Peter Green has been a constant accompaniment to my life for as long as I can remember.

'I Loved Another Woman' still brings out the chills.

I would have loved to have seen him play, sadly never managed that.

The world is a poorer place.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14 on: 28 July, 2020, 07:51:27 pm »

It would never have occurred to me to think of Santana for that track!

I thought you were going to refer to little Willie John's original of "Need Your Love so Bad", which, as Colin intimates, is actually Peter Green's greatest track and contains the sound that BB was probably referring to.  It's just a chiller and satisfyingly easy to play, too!

Incidentally, Little Willie John also wrote "Fever" - and I guess even more people don't know that!

RIP, Peter.  As you suggest VB, a life sadly twisted, in PG's case I think originally by LSD.

The first Fleetwood Mac album on which John Spencer* does a blistering version of "Dust My Broom", channeling Elmore James, is terrific.

*  See below for correction!
See here for a slightly shaky You Tube vid of John McVie and Jeremy Spencer appearing on stage together for the first time in 50 years.

J Spencer disappeared off to the Children of God. My bro got suckered in (along with many other journos) by a chap who pitched up in the early 80's claiming to be Jeremy Spencer. He looked like him and played like him. Very convincing apparently. Turned out he'd been a roadie with the band so knew all the back stories and had watched Spencer play countless times so was able to imitate him very well.

Bro's story (before he realised everyone had been done) appeared in NME. Fame !!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #15 on: 28 July, 2020, 08:15:29 pm »
Enjoyed that clip of Jeremy, thanks.  Hartlepool's best!   Teesside could have fielded a pretty impressive blues trio with Paul Rogers, Chris Rea and Jeremy.

« Reply #16 on: 29 July, 2020, 08:25:01 am »
Enjoyed that clip of Jeremy, thanks.  Hartlepool's best!   Teesside could have fielded a pretty impressive blues trio with Paul Rogers, Chris Rea and Jeremy.
They could have added David Coverdale to take turns singing as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #17 on: 29 July, 2020, 10:39:57 am »
Yes, David can sing (though I'm not a fan of his chosen genre) but good as he is he'd be redundant in a group that had Paul Rodgers in it!

« Reply #18 on: 29 July, 2020, 12:45:53 pm »
I prefer Paul Rodgers too. Always though he's a bit of a waisted talent though. Free were great as were the early Bad Company albums but then nothing of note really. The spell fronting Queen was just odd. Mind you I expect Bad Company made him enough cash he couldnt care less.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.