Author Topic: Clipless pedals for captain on a Hase Pino  (Read 6127 times)

Clipless pedals for captain on a Hase Pino
« on: 21 July, 2018, 03:00:20 pm »
I'm contemplating putting clipless pedals on the captain's cranks on my Hase Pino. Does this sound like a good idea? Will I notice any significant improvements in speed/climbing? The pedals I'd put on are platform on one side, so I'd still be able to back out and use that side if it felt unsafe.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Clipless pedals for captain on a Hase Pino
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2018, 04:24:42 pm »
If you're used to clipless pedals, I don't think there's a compelling reason (other than civvy shoe compatibility) not to use them on anything.  I have more shoe-related cockups with flats.

If you're not used to clipless pedals, captaining a tandem (of whatever shape) probably isn't the best place to learn, thobut.

I don't think they make you any more powerful - at the end of the day, that's mostly down to your cardiovascular system - but they do reduce bashed shins and help you tweak the pedalling ergonomics.

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:34:04 am »
Thanks for the advice, Kim!

I think, after some consideration, that I'm not going to alter anything before this weekend's 600k. I have relatively few km under my belt with feet clipped in, though I'm not completely new. I think on the tandem having clips might have some interesting consequences, particularly for hill starts. I can't quite decide if they'd be good or bad.

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2018, 08:28:39 am »
Clipless here without any problems. An old pair of Time Attak that were used for MTB service when I were a lad.

Trying to persuade Mrs. JJ to go clipless too. She still loses the pedals occasionally and it's a right faff to get her feet back on without losing momentum.

Chapeau for the 600.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

g8iln

« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2018, 10:49:13 am »
My suggestion , if you want to go clipless, would be to use the Shimano M820 Saints, they are double sided SPD with a large platform (same size as a MTB flat) so you can get going without clipping in, I don't ride a tandem but I do have to make a few hill starts on some pretty steep hills where you have to get the power down with no faffing around, I imagine getting going on a tandem is pretty similar!! There is a local hill that is popular for club rides and I reckon 50% of riders take several attempts to get going because they have failed to clip in.

Un-clipping with the M820s is easy, a quick flick outwards with your heel, I usually leave my right foot engaged unless I am stopping on a steep camber or the surface is sketchy or it's very windy when I will unclip both feet then move my feet slightly forward on the pedals so I can still keep pedalling unclipped until I am clear of the junction/hazard/out of control dog/whatever, then while still pedalling just move my feet back a bit, a little sideways wiggle and I am clipped in again. Being able to keep pedalling while not clipped in is a huge safety advantage IMHO and the M820s are the only pedals I have tried that let me do that.

The only downside is the lack of choice of lightweight road shoes with the 2 hole SPD fitting although I believe there are adapters available. I have a pair of Giro Republic R Knit shoes that are lovely lightweight ventilated road shoes with 2 hole fixing.

At 60 years old I don't produce any more power when I am clipped in but, living on the edge of the Cotswolds, I do go up a lot of hills and find I prefer the feeling of being clipped in, it just feels a bit more secure if that makes sense. You do have to be careful about stopping on steep inclines though, there can be very little time to unclip if you are grinding to a halt, if I feel I might have a 'failure to proceed' with the M820s I can do a precautionary unclip but keep pedaling.

« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2018, 10:58:22 pm »
We had SPD pedals for the captain as well as stoker for our Pino. Wouldn't be without them in over 3000 km on the machine.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2018, 04:25:04 pm »
I had/have clipless one side, platform the other on my, now disused*, Pino.  The stoker had platform pedals with half toe clips.

When The Boy was much smaller we put home brew foot keeper inners made from shock cord to ensure his feet stayed in place.  This followed an incident where I went over a bump, his foot came off the pedal, he hit the deck and bust his collar bone.

*coming to a For Sale board near you soon.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2018, 04:51:46 pm »

Ooooooh. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2018, 06:37:56 pm »

Ooooooh. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
You have a PM
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)