Author Topic: Pictures of your 'bent(s)  (Read 18375 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Pictures of your 'bent(s)
« Reply #25 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:35:33 pm »
some good pictures on this German Velomobile site, home builds too. Sit back (as you would) with a cup of tea, and hit Google translate.

https://www.velomobilforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/sammelthread-zeig-dein-liegerad.47104/

« Reply #26 on: 20 November, 2020, 04:13:35 pm »
Hopefully this will work (and not be too big!)  Not tried linking to a photo on Strava before...

Yay!  Works in preview, at least.  First outing for my Optima Orca in aaages, a couple of weeks ago.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #27 on: 20 November, 2020, 04:25:37 pm »
Hopefully this will work (and not be too big!)  Not tried linking to a photo on Strava before...

Yay!  Works in preview, at least.  First outing for my Optima Orca in aaages, a couple of weeks ago.
Where's that? Out of interest. Srsly.
I know it isn't the French mountain resort of Aages. Not so srsly.

« Reply #28 on: 21 November, 2020, 09:08:30 am »

Cwmcarn Forest Drive (Pont-y-waun), Crosskeys
https://osmand.net/go?lat=51.6278&lon=-3.117584&z=16

marks the spot. (If the link works)

It's gratifying to know I'm not the only one to think the photo looks practically alpine! 😁
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #29 on: 26 November, 2020, 09:36:21 pm »

Cwmcarn Forest Drive (Pont-y-waun), Crosskeys
https://osmand.net/go?lat=51.6278&lon=-3.117584&z=16

marks the spot. (If the link works)

It's gratifying to know I'm not the only one to think the photo looks practically alpine! 😁

I was thinking Moselle valley - except it lacks the vineyards on the slopes!

« Reply #30 on: 09 December, 2020, 03:14:46 pm »
A test ride today on my N+1 Christmas present to myself.  I bought a Pelso Brevet frameset through Laidback Cycles in Edinburgh, and built it up using (as far as possible) parts that I already had in the bike shed.  I've set it up differently to the standard high racer configuration, with a 20" front wheel and 26" rear.  And open cockpit bars rather than the J-bars supplied with the frameset.

Carbon frame, forks and seat.  My first carbon frame, previous bikes have mostly been steel and often vintage.  Disc brakes as well.  To compensate for this unaccustomed burst of modernity, toeclips and straps; friction shifters; an old square taper chainset; and a Carradice rack bag tucked in behind the seat.  Pictures here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YufAFvbx7zDGeMuY_zOeDjQWlD_C0fLi/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e6esh_3nO51RK4N_DMD6aocRFDjI2Wh2/view?usp=sharing
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #31 on: 09 December, 2020, 06:00:15 pm »
Very nice. Can you reach those bottle cages on back of seat?

« Reply #32 on: 09 December, 2020, 07:29:05 pm »
Not while riding - I put the extra one on the handlebar stem so that I could use that, then swap over bottles when required.

« Reply #33 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:12:30 pm »
On what’s the built weight, what with all the carbon fibre in use?

« Reply #34 on: 10 December, 2020, 02:45:33 pm »
On what’s the built weight, what with all the carbon fibre in use?

I haven't weighed it but even with my bag full of toolkit, inner tubes, snack, flask it is light.  My estimate would be around 25 lbs.  There's a good review of the standard Pelso setup by Dave McCraw, here's the link:

https://recumbent-cyclist.com/bikes/pelso-brevet/

« Reply #35 on: 10 December, 2020, 03:50:43 pm »
11.7kg in his build. So about 0.5kg lighter than my P38 build.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #36 on: 11 December, 2020, 11:31:39 pm »
Point of order, that's David Mason who road tested the Pelso, not Dave McCraw (who had a long term test of the Schlitter Encore).  David rides an M5 CHR personally and was recently seen casually dropping the odd hint in my direction about velomobiles.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #37 on: 12 December, 2020, 09:13:26 am »
 :thumbsup:

Point of order, that's David Mason who road tested the Pelso, not Dave McCraw (who had a long term test of the Schlitter Encore).  David rides an M5 CHR personally and was recently seen casually dropping the odd hint in my direction about velomobiles.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #38 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:13:56 pm »
IMG_1546 by mark tilley, on Flickr

This week, I will be mostly, underwater.

« Reply #39 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:32:21 pm »
In the snow previous weekend

« Reply #40 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:11:58 pm »
Went out to see the flood on one of mine today, too:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #41 on: 09 July, 2021, 03:09:52 pm »
Taken when new (which was just a few months ago), it's a Schlitter Freestyle with a Thor carbon seat and mix of 11-speed Shimano XT, 105 and Ultegra components. Wheels are Scribe carbon 50mm. Crankset is a 160mm 105 R7000 50/34 - was quite difficult to find in this small size (on my DF bikes I use a 170mm crank length BTW).

Since the photo was taken I've changed the pedals to double side XT SPDs, as found them easier to use than the SPD-SLs on this bike, despite generally preferring SPD-SLs.

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #42 on: 09 July, 2021, 05:43:15 pm »
😍 very nice. How have you found the transition to the dark side?

« Reply #43 on: 09 July, 2021, 06:03:49 pm »
😍 very nice. How have you found the transition to the dark side?

Mostly easier than I thought it would be, though busy T-junctions are a bit stressful (especially as there is a risk of heel strike when turning tightly at slow speed) and I still suck at hill climbing once it gets a bit steep. It goes like a rocket on the flat/downhill and even up gentle inclines. I got a Garmin Varia radar, which helps with me confidence and reminds me to check the mirrors.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #44 on: 09 July, 2021, 07:05:45 pm »
Looks F A S T   ;)

« Reply #45 on: 09 July, 2021, 11:15:43 pm »
Looks F A S T   ;)

Getting there, averaged 17.7 mph on a 30 mile ride yesterday, I'm still pretty slow on proper hills, though, and probably slow down too much when cornering

« Reply #46 on: 10 July, 2021, 11:47:04 am »
Mostly easier than I thought it would be, though busy T-junctions are a bit stressful (especially as there is a risk of heel strike when turning tightly at slow speed) and I still suck at hill climbing once it gets a bit steep. It goes like a rocket on the flat/downhill and even up gentle inclines. I got a Garmin Varia radar, which helps with me confidence and reminds me to check the mirrors.
The first time I experienced heel strike while attempting to turn right onto a busy road I nearly soiled myself! You do unconsciously account for it after a while though. Learning to pedal with one foot when you’re starting off helps too, I’ve found. After about 10 months of riding ‘bents, the only manoeuvre I’m still not confident with is turning right from a T junction which is on an uphill slope.

Is your Freestyle a custom colour? It looks much classier than the single colour options shown on Schlitter’s website.

« Reply #47 on: 11 July, 2021, 06:51:18 pm »
Looks F A S T   ;)

Getting there, averaged 17.7 mph on a 30 mile ride yesterday, I'm still pretty slow on proper hills, though, and probably slow down too much when cornering

For context how does that compare to your road bike speed on same route / conditions and effort levels?

« Reply #48 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:21:36 pm »
The first time I experienced heel strike while attempting to turn right onto a busy road I nearly soiled myself! You do unconsciously account for it after a while though. Learning to pedal with one foot when you’re starting off helps too, I’ve found. After about 10 months of riding ‘bents, the only manoeuvre I’m still not confident with is turning right from a T junction which is on an uphill slope.

Is your Freestyle a custom colour? It looks much classier than the single colour options shown on Schlitter’s website.

The matt black/polished alloy finish was the only frame choice available without a long wait when I originally ordered it, but I'm very happy with it. Unfortunately there has been a frame recall (a few heavier riders had noticed cracks at a stress point) and there is now a frame replacement programme, but they cannot now offer the same frame finish as my current one. I've asked for orange and white instead (as a paid custom option - the replacement frame itself it free, though), as prefer a two-tone look.

« Reply #49 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:25:36 pm »
Looks F A S T   ;)

For context how does that compare to your road bike speed on same route / conditions and effort levels?

I've not tried the exact same route recently, but the average would probably not be far off - on my road bike (when fit) I would not be as fast on the flat or down hills on good roads, but would be faster climbing hills and descending on poor or twisty roads and starting off again after stopping for traffic / junctions