Author Topic: Knickers  (Read 11086 times)

ian

Re: Knickers
« Reply #25 on: 21 February, 2021, 06:40:53 pm »
My mother worked till the 80s in the textile industry (until what remained of it vamoosed overseas), mostly as a lockstitcher, but I think she did a bit of everything, for stuff that was sold in places like BHS and C&A (remember those). It meant I grew up wearing wonky seconds. It wasn't great in the UK, low-paid piecework, long hours, poor occupational health, her fingers are messed up with arthritis. So if it was like that in the UK, it doesn't take much imagination to imagine what's it's like in Bangladesh or somewhere similar, making clothes that only retail for a few pounds in the developed world.

« Reply #26 on: 21 February, 2021, 06:43:52 pm »
I wear:
cyling undies from Aldi and lidl - the aldi boxer ones are comfy
running undies from decathlon - the mens ones go to a bigger size
period pants from innersy on Amazon - not padded and cotton unlike the others
sloggi, big pants for dresses

What I wear on any given day is usually down to how fat I am, and how likely to cycle.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 21 February, 2021, 06:47:42 pm »
I've been & looked on Mumsnet so you don't have to. Several posters there reporting swapping from M&S to Sainsbury's Tu knickers and being happy.

Thank you I appreciate your sacrifice.
;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #28 on: 21 February, 2021, 06:58:57 pm »
Unlike ian, I do replace underwear when it develops more holes than I’ve got use for. :P H&M have done well so far, without being sufficiently fashionable that quality control is there to avoid me wearing last season’s look.

« Reply #29 on: 21 February, 2021, 07:08:24 pm »
I cannot think of any garment where "last season's look" is more irrelevant than underwear.  Let's face it: how many people are going to see your baggies?   :o

I used to keep a pair for best otherwise known as "pulling".    ;)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #30 on: 21 February, 2021, 07:44:38 pm »
Sloggi pants girl here cos they're properly bum shaped, but mine are rather on the holey end of the spectrum (material rot) so I need to break out the unopened packet and order some more.

I think the way I handle them doesn't help their longevity cos it puts stress on the fabric, but with my crip-hands I do what I can.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 21 February, 2021, 07:58:04 pm »
Sloggi pants girl here cos they're properly bum shaped, but mine are rather on the holey end of the spectrum (material rot)

They've got holes in. You're seriously still wearing those?

« Reply #32 on: 21 February, 2021, 08:05:09 pm »
Sloggi pants girl here cos they're properly bum shaped, but mine are rather on the holey end of the spectrum (material rot)

They've got holes in. You're seriously still wearing those?
Domestic!
Sloggi for me.
I'm informed that they are the drug-dealer's undercrackers of choice.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #33 on: 21 February, 2021, 08:15:54 pm »
Blokes generally stop buying underwear in their mid-twenties and make it last. The female of the species may hold opinions about such matters. They've got holes in. You're seriously still wearing those? Any man in his mid-forties who comes home with new underpants is either having an affair or hoping to have an affair.

Well, regarding affairs, I cannot comment on that.

But when their elasticity stops providing zippy snugness and support, they are done.

I'm totally not in agreement with the baggy boxers brigade, with everything hanging free.
That's a direction to injury.
Sports Bras were invented For A Reason.

« Reply #34 on: 21 February, 2021, 11:09:20 pm »
I cannot think of any garment where "last season's look" is more irrelevant than underwear.  Let's face it: how many people are going to see your baggies?   :o

I used to keep a pair for best otherwise known as "pulling".    ;)

This may have passed during lockdown, but there was a fashion for wearing trousers just below bum height. Whether I'm an avid follower of fashion I'll leave to your imagination  :demon:

What I really meant was that not being terribly fashionable they aren't designed to be disposable in months. Women's clothes probably suffer from this more than men's.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 21 February, 2021, 11:27:37 pm »
M&S underwear designs do changed fairly frequently. I suppose this makes things more interesting and therefore tempting to buy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 22 February, 2021, 12:02:30 am »
M&S underwear designs do changed fairly frequently. I suppose this makes things more interesting and therefore tempting to buy.

Suspect it's more a case of them ordering them a batch at a time from whichever molisher can do a good (for M&S, if not the end user) deal.  See also: Supermarket lightbulbs.

ian

« Reply #37 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:45:04 am »
Blokes generally stop buying underwear in their mid-twenties and make it last. The female of the species may hold opinions about such matters. They've got holes in. You're seriously still wearing those? Any man in his mid-forties who comes home with new underpants is either having an affair or hoping to have an affair.

Well, regarding affairs, I cannot comment on that.

But when their elasticity stops providing zippy snugness and support, they are done.

I'm totally not in agreement with the baggy boxers brigade, with everything hanging free.
That's a direction to injury.
Sports Bras were invented For A Reason.

To be fair, I was talking about other men, owing to being (once-upon-a-time) a frequent traveller, I've been blessed with the need to regularly buy underwear* usually on someone else's budget. The result of this is an overstuffed underwear drawer. I could open my own boutique of infrequently worn pants.

Boxers, I've no idea either. It must be like going perpetually commando.

*because I've either left it in a neat pile on the bed at home, they've lost my bag, or could you extend your trip for another week.

« Reply #38 on: 22 February, 2021, 10:16:06 am »
Gents, the purpose of the boxers is that same swinging airflow you're objecting to. Testicles are outside the body cavity in humans to maintain their slightly lower temperature. Snuggling them up in cosy thermals kills off your swimmers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #39 on: 22 February, 2021, 10:20:52 am »
Some of us see that as an advantage...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ian

« Reply #40 on: 22 February, 2021, 10:25:35 am »
Indeed, my wife prefers they need to wear armbands and can do little more than flounder in the shallow end of the reproductive pool. She doesn't want them splashing around and causing trouble in the deep end.

« Reply #41 on: 23 February, 2021, 04:03:20 am »
On the west side of the Pond, there was a time when one's mother would ask, when a child was going off somewhere, whether they were wearing "good underwear" because "if you are hurt, we don't want the nurses and doctors seeing you in the worn-out ones; they might look down on you and not give you proper care". (Mine never asked, but I'm sure that someone did, to get the story started.)

« Reply #42 on: 23 February, 2021, 08:13:46 am »
For women, it's one way to protect yourself from serial killers.

Victims on films and telly ALWAYS have matching bra & knickers.

Coincidence? I think not.

« Reply #43 on: 23 February, 2021, 08:30:36 am »
On the west side of the Pond, there was a time when one's mother would ask, when a child was going off somewhere, whether they were wearing "good underwear" because "if you are hurt, we don't want the nurses and doctors seeing you in the worn-out ones; they might look down on you and not give you proper care". (Mine never asked, but I'm sure that someone did, to get the story started.)
In my wife's family it was 'make sure you're wearing clean knickers' whenever they went to the doctors or hospital as children - even for non-nether region related issues.
They weren't leftpondian, but there was some Irish in there, maybe that's the connection.
It's still a bit of a standing joke.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ian

« Reply #44 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:33:43 am »
It was my mother's cheery admonishment too. If you get run over...

It's true about the serial killer thing too, certainly if I were to kidnap someone and keep them prisoner in my basement for some unspecified time wearing nothing but their underwear (which, according to the rules, you have to), I'd demand top-bottom symmetry. After a couple of weeks, I mean, it would really start to bug me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 23 February, 2021, 01:35:49 pm »
+1

I have so far only once been in an emergency situation that involved the complete removal of my trousers, and underwear cleanliness advice was rendered irrelevant by prolific blood splatter.

I hadn't really considered the serial killer scenario, beyond making a point of declining any invitations by strange men to join them in their home-made submarine.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:07:07 pm »
As someone who has professionally seen many in their underwear, I'd say:
If you're run over by a bus, nobody will give a hoot about your undies; they'll chop them off and throw them away.
I've only had one colleague remark about a patient's pants; they we holey and the wearer was eminent in High Finance.
It is polite to be clean if you have a scheduled consultation.

I think the instructions for my last mammogram advised AGAINST various skin pong products.

ian

« Reply #47 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:35:41 pm »
Weirdly, they gave me back all my blood-soaked clothes, nicely folded in a bio-sealed bag. Erm, thanks for the souvenir. I expect they charged me $250 for this. I did not check the condition of my underpants. I had to badger them for the CAT-scans. I haz brains.

« Reply #48 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:46:34 pm »
.......... they'll chop them off and throw them away........
Motorcyclist colleague who was unfortunate enough to come off his bike on the A3 was singularly unimpressed when medical staff cut off ~ £2K's worth of Kevlar lined protective clothing from him. Invariably, terminally blunting their scissors....

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #49 on: 23 February, 2021, 11:46:06 pm »
I think the instructions for my last mammogram advised AGAINST various skin pong products.
Deodorant powder can look like calcifications on a mammogram. False positives are best avoided.

(and Howies for mens pants, btw. As with everything not quite as good as they used to be)