Author Topic: RIP Jim Steinman  (Read 1386 times)

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: RIP Jim Steinman
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2021, 10:36:09 pm »
Indeed.  Bat Out Of Hell is a superb album.

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2021, 08:04:09 am »
Brilliant composer, lyricist, talented musician.

Bat out of Hell is truly incredible. The follow up is brilliant.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2021, 10:11:18 am »
My fellow custardian Nick Price played Bat Out Of Hell so often during the 1979-80 skool year that I have had an irrational loathing of Mr Loaf and all his works ever since.  It may be time for a critical reappraisal.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2021, 09:26:04 am »
You could also have a listen to Mr Steinman's only offering (which may be what mrcharly is referring to) "Bad for Good", which Mr Loaf was supposed to sing on as the follow up to BOOH (and indeed several tracks appeared on his later offerings as well) but was at the time indisposed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2021, 07:04:05 am »
The kitschest thing ever* was that, during the last solar eclipse, you could pay to be on a cruise ship right in the middle of the eclipse's path to hear Bonnie Tyler, in person, belting out "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" at the moment of totality.

*I have considered Kylie Minogue's live version of Copacabana and the collected works of Jeff Koons
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2021, 06:09:12 pm »
You could also have a listen to Mr Steinman's only offering (which may be what mrcharly is referring to) "Bad for Good", which Mr Loaf was supposed to sing on as the follow up to BOOH (and indeed several tracks appeared on his later offerings as well) but was at the time indisposed.

I am familiar with that oeuvre, but I bet you say that to all the boys.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2021, 11:21:35 pm »
The kitschest thing ever* was that, during the last solar eclipse, you could pay to be on a cruise ship right in the middle of the eclipse's path to hear Bonnie Tyler, in person, belting out "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" at the moment of totality.

*I have considered Kylie Minogue's live version of Copacabana and the collected works of Jeff Koons

Partner has lurid PINK T-shirt picked up on 2017 eclipse trip emblazoned with 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'. His was a coach trip along Route 66 and he saw totality.