Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 595135 times)

Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #1475 on: 07 September, 2011, 11:28:35 am »
You got one wrong, then one right!
I got more than one right!  Which are you thinking of?

Picture round, the name of the religious scene depicted, you got it wrong (although after the other lot had already got it wrong). You then got the next one right about golden something (golden divide?) and then got the painters of religious scenes picture questions as the bonus questions.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1476 on: 07 September, 2011, 11:48:51 am »
You got one wrong, then one right!
I got more than one right!  Which are you thinking of?

Picture round, the name of the religious scene depicted, you got it wrong (although after the other lot had already got it wrong). You then got the next one right about golden something (golden divide?) and then got the painters of religious scenes picture questions as the bonus questions.

Ah okay.  You're thinking of the Golden Rule: Do as you would be done by.

I actually named the same scene as the other team for the starter picture, I just said it in Latin instead of English.

« Reply #1477 on: 07 September, 2011, 12:02:18 pm »
Naughty boy, Greg!  Nunc Dimittis was Simeon, in Jerusalem (I think), this occurred sometime after the Adoration of the Magi in Bethlehem, I seem to remember.  But I thought you passed on several correct answers to your captain, did you not?  A sound performance, I felt.  Could you actually see the other team?  If so, that must have been seriously distracting!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1478 on: 07 September, 2011, 12:25:29 pm »
Naughty boy, Greg!  Nunc Dimittis was Simeon, in Jerusalem (I think), this occurred sometime after the Adoration of the Magi in Bethlehem, I seem to remember.  But I thought you passed on several correct answers to your captain, did you not?  A sound performance, I felt.  Could you actually see the other team?  If so, that must have been seriously distracting!

Yes, the other team were on our right.  I couldn't really see the picture very well tbh, and was concentrating on trying to work out what the painting was, so didn't notice the other guy saying 'presentation at the temple', hence my guess at the same incident!  A bad workman blames his tools, so hey.

Where UCL really won was their buzzing speed.  I knew about T-Rexes, Velociraptors, the Forest of Bowland and Pendle Hill, dammit!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1479 on: 07 September, 2011, 12:32:09 pm »
I felt those pictures didn't lend themselves at all well to being represented on an LCD screen. OK, my eyesight isn't what it was but it took me several seconds to work out what was going on. That's not to say I recognised them even then.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1480 on: 07 September, 2011, 02:55:30 pm »
Giropaul.
So I'm one minute from work on my way home when I clock this bloke staring at me intently as he crosses a ped xing near the Mail Box.  He crosses and I'm about to press on home when I hear "Basil!"
Sorry I had to ask who you were, Paul.  I'm crap at faces. 
Do you often visit Mordor?  Give a shout next time and we'll coffee or beer or something.

I have to admit that I've always pronounced your forum name incorrectly in my mind.  Sorry about that.  When you introduced yourself I realised it was an association with an Italian road race, not a recipient of state benefit.   ;D

Nice to meet you matey.  :thumbsup:

Yes, a beer (or even a coffee) would be excellent. I'm not (thankfully) in Mordor often, it depends on work and the client - but there's not a lot of ether at the moment! I will let you know though, I'm guessing that when I saw you it was your knocking off time?

Giro (as in Giropaul) comes from CC Giro (of which I am a long-standing member, (if a not frequent participant in what used to be club runs but which now seem to deserve UCI points). The club name comes, of course, from the race.
What is note-worthy is that the other interpretation never even occurred to the would-be-upwardly-mobile travel agent from Sutton Coldfield who set the club up!
Actually, looking at the number of non-working people who attend the Wednesday races runs, your original interpretation would be more accurate perhaps.

I'll pm you when I'm next around.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1481 on: 08 September, 2011, 08:14:18 am »
About half eleven last night, as I wandered towards Highbury and Islington tube, after seeing the excellent Spooky Men's Choral, a cyclist in a pirate top crossed my path.

"I know him" I thought.  My brain scratched around for a name. Given him a frame for a fixer, seen him on an FNRTTC, used to be on urc, Goth tendancies, lives in Cambridge.  It wasn't until I was halfway down the escalator that I exclaimed "Damerell!".

Haven't seen him posting on here for a while but I'm sure it was he.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1482 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:44:11 am »
Pete Mas on Putney Bridge on my commute yesterday morning, good chat up to Edith Grove where I peeled off onto the Embankment. Looking forward to the post-PBP beers and catchup with everyone next Thursday...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1483 on: 09 September, 2011, 05:58:03 pm »
That's not Mr Gates modelling 'helmet hair' in this week's CTC e-newsletter, is it?

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1484 on: 09 September, 2011, 07:30:50 pm »
That's the second time that photo has been used as a model for the woes of helmet hair!

I'll ask the third bunch for a bloody credit ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1485 on: 09 September, 2011, 07:31:07 pm »
I was just about to post the same comment!

I hope they asked permission................

Edit:  Oh dear, they didn't.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1486 on: 09 September, 2011, 07:41:58 pm »
Precisely as much permission as I asked for their LEJOG guide, so turnabout is fair play.   :demon:

I reckon I could totally work cornrows, though.  Totally.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1487 on: 10 September, 2011, 07:15:56 pm »
Drossall (a first for me) & Mattc on the Alan Furley Memorial Down the Ups randonnee today.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1488 on: 10 September, 2011, 07:30:30 pm »
ScumOfTheRoad* at St Katherine's Dock this morning.  I was with Ham on a scouting ride, SOTR was on a 'healthy ride'.

* Nice bike ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1489 on: 11 September, 2011, 02:11:44 pm »
Gordon,alias Gordy whose experience & knowledge has saved me from a potentially frustrating fettle & also suggested an eminently practical & straightforward solution.
 :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1490 on: 11 September, 2011, 03:12:49 pm »
Possible sighting: Bloke on a white Specialized, wearing this year's PBP shirt doing laps of Regent's Park around 10:00 today.  Anyone here?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1491 on: 11 September, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »
Crusty, Deano, Tiermat, bunbury, MSeries, CrinklyAuntie and CrinklyUncle in the den. The remaining space in Deano's luggage was filled with tasty baked comestibles, beer and tea and coffee drunk and i managed to cook, with a bit of assistance, a reasonable impersonation of a sunday lunch.

« Reply #1492 on: 11 September, 2011, 10:30:31 pm »
Crusty, Deano, Tiermat, bunbury, MSeries, CrinklyAuntie and CrinklyUncle in the den. The remaining space in Deano's luggage was filled with tasty baked comestibles, beer and tea and coffee drunk and i managed to cook, with a bit of assistance, a reasonable impersonation of a sunday lunch.
It was smashing, thanks ever so much - you went way beyond the call considering your current circumstances. Nice to meet CrinkyAuntie and CrinklyUncle for the first time, need to see you guys on your bikes sometime. Nice to see everyone else again. Deano and I rode to the Grey Horse in Elvington where we met Bunbury, had a Copper Dragon then we all went our separate ways.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1493 on: 11 September, 2011, 11:22:16 pm »
Adrian.  In his house.  Butterfly too.
Getting there...

« Reply #1494 on: 12 September, 2011, 11:36:38 am »
It was a lovely send-off, thanks CL.  You shouldn't have bothered with your remaining useful arm, but I'm very glad you did :-*

« Reply #1495 on: 12 September, 2011, 12:13:14 pm »
TimO,
 Going up Bedford Hill, Balham. I spotted his purple YACF shirt, though to myself, "that's Tim, but he never goes to work this early" then caught up with him going down Cedars Road.

Tim, I didn't say hello, because we only ever seem to meet up on FNRttC and you never seem to recognize me outside of that group!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1496 on: 17 September, 2011, 10:35:07 am »
Spotted Butterfly (natch), Phil, Andrij & Pippa in a pub last night.  Pleasant evening with good company :)
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1497 on: 19 September, 2011, 03:47:29 pm »
Lindagordinho & Crusty Jugler earlier today,chez joglerville 8)

« Reply #1498 on: 19 September, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »
TimO,
 Going up Bedford Hill, Balham. I spotted his purple YACF shirt, though to myself, "that's Tim, but he never goes to work this early" then caught up with him going down Cedars Road.

Tim, I didn't say hello, because we only ever seem to meet up on FNRttC and you never seem to recognize me outside of that group!

Context, it's all about context! ... that and I never see anyone on the commute except Adrian, who occasionally catches me up, and then makes me glad when I turn off, so I can have a rest!

... and I saw Adrian last week, Wednesday or Thursday I think, but I forgot to post in here immediately, so have now forgotten when it was!

I don't think I was that early on Monday, just after 9 as I recall.  I was in work at 7-35 on Friday, that was early!
Actually, it is rocket science.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1499 on: 19 September, 2011, 11:32:43 pm »
A Jaded.
On the telly. (National Geographic channel)  Hope it didn't bring back too many painful memories.

On behalf of the rest of my profession, I offer heartfelt apologies for the systemic failings of the post-privatisation rail industry.  I was going to say we've learnt from our mistakes, but then I get an email requesting me to investigate this:
clicky
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip