Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 595145 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #1575 on: 09 October, 2011, 06:45:42 pm »
I saw tiermat earlier - just as well really, 'cos it would have been a wasted journey otherwise :)

Forumite spotting
« Reply #1576 on: 09 October, 2011, 06:50:42 pm »
I also saw Mr Bunbury coming out of Wiggington as I was riding in. He ignored me though! ;D

That's because you don't exist.

:-)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1577 on: 09 October, 2011, 06:52:52 pm »
I also saw Mr Bunbury coming out of Wiggington as I was riding in. He ignored me though! ;D

It's more likely because I was busy concentrating on not running into the other hundred riders on the road. 

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1578 on: 09 October, 2011, 06:53:00 pm »

Who said that?!

« Reply #1579 on: 09 October, 2011, 07:58:21 pm »
To start with, a Tigerbiten this morning at the start of the Cyclemagic ride into Leicester, from which we sadly had to bail when MFWHTBAB had a dizzy spell.

But later, having just that moment parked the car in our usual spot, after driving back from Leicester, completely unexpectedly, a Kim, heading for her temporary base at the Den. Having been invited in, we shortly afterwards spotted a Barakta and a CrinklyLion, and two cubs, all of whom were unphased by our presence when they arrived home.

We were then entertained and tea'd up for some time by YACFers, Cubs, cats, and silly putty.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #1580 on: 11 October, 2011, 04:08:24 pm »
Had a very nice visit from Tail End Charlie who left with Charly, my his recumbent.   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1581 on: 11 October, 2011, 04:11:50 pm »
But later, having just that moment parked the car in our usual spot, after driving back from Leicester, completely unexpectedly, a Kim, heading for her temporary base at the Den.

Top quality spot, that.  I heard a shout of "Kim!" from behind and slammed on the brakes, expecting to see a CrinklyLion or barakta, and there you were.   :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1582 on: 11 October, 2011, 09:10:15 pm »
Deano, in Paris

MattC, in Paris

« Reply #1583 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:51:20 pm »
But later, having just that moment parked the car in our usual spot, after driving back from Leicester, completely unexpectedly, a Kim, heading for her temporary base at the Den.

Top quality spot, that.  I heard a shout of "Kim!" from behind and slammed on the brakes, expecting to see a CrinklyLion or barakta, and there you were.   :thumbsup:

I had waved from inside the car, and then realised that you have absolutely no clue what MFWHTBAB's car looks like, and probably wouldn't see people inside it anyway due to the reflection on the windscreen.....

I've just had some of your birthday cake. And a small beer. Or two. And dinner, all courtesy of CrinklyLion, with added entertainment from Cubs large and small...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1584 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:20:22 pm »
I had waved from inside the car, and then realised that you have absolutely no clue what MFWHTBAB's car looks like, and probably wouldn't see people inside it anyway due to the reflection on the windscreen.....

Generically silver, like the other 50% of cars on the road?

But I was at that point mostly concentrating on going round the corner while braking (I'm still nervous about that) and vaguely keeping an eye out for anyone of the Crinkly persuasion in pedestrian mode, so probably wouldn't have noticed you anyway.  Not that I have a good track record for that sort of thing:  I once walked right past my then girlfriend at a station in spite of making which-side-are-we-passing-on eye contact because I wasn't paying attention.   :facepalm:

I'm not really cut out for people spotting.  Forumites are better than most, as they tend to ride interesting bikes and often come with identifying jerseys, but I still lose track of which particular middle-aged man in lycra that appears to know me is which.   :-[

I've just had some of your birthday cake. And a small beer. Or two. And dinner, all courtesy of CrinklyLion, with added entertainment from Cubs large and small...

And SCIENCE putty[1]?

[1] Which we decided was just a cooler sounding name for Silly Putty, because Serious Putty is the boring stuff you fit windows with.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1585 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:57:40 pm »
Pins down this forum. Middle aged men in lycra who appear to know a Kim.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1586 on: 12 October, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »

Generically silver, like the other 50% of cars on the road?

No, a sort of metallic grey-green...  The reg is distinctive, if you know his name.

He doesn't do faces well either, apparently he once arrived at an arranged meeting point with a previous girlfriend, rang to find out where she was and was talked through turning round, crossing the road, walking along a bit and "hello, I'm in front of you!"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1587 on: 13 October, 2011, 09:16:34 am »
Last night, at Blackfriars Bridge:

Butterfly, Wendy, Dez, Wowbagger, Darkpoint, Ham, Her_Welshness, Jurek (sadly avelopic), fruitcake, aralsopp (is he on this forum? I can't remember), artyfaharty! :D, Literida.  Probably loads of others I've completely forgotten. :-[

Not seen, but know they were there: Speshact :( Jane :( His Leggeship Ln :(
Getting there...

« Reply #1588 on: 13 October, 2011, 09:22:23 am »
Good to meet you, sorry I had to rush, very good turnout I thought?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1589 on: 13 October, 2011, 09:38:14 am »
Thank you, arty, for taking the trouble to introduce yourself.  It was a pleasure to meet you.

I think the turnout was very good - both from the forum and overall.  I hope that TfL will take note, but I can't say I am very optimistic.
Getting there...

« Reply #1590 on: 13 October, 2011, 11:04:53 am »

....I think the turnout was very good - both from the forum and overall..... 

2500, according to this.

« Reply #1591 on: 13 October, 2011, 11:16:43 am »
Blimey. That's quite a turn out.
Rust never sleeps

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #1592 on: 13 October, 2011, 12:54:19 pm »
I think the turnout was very good - both from the forum and overall.  I hope that TfL will take note, but I can't say I am very optimistic.

What time was the Blackfriars ride?  I was in the vicinity too, but was otherwise occupied chasing the guys from AV2Hire who were racing each other.  I did have to catch the six o'clock train back to Embra, though, so I probably missed the event.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1593 on: 13 October, 2011, 02:16:08 pm »
I'm afraid you would have done.  It was 1745 onwards, but was all done by 1830.  Shame, really.  Haven't seen you in a while.

Oh - I forgot to mention that I saw Philip Benstead on Upper Ground before the start.
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1594 on: 14 October, 2011, 07:09:38 pm »
I saw Darkpoint this evening, he was flying through the Camberwell junction going up Denmark Hill. Mighty fast he was and I think he heard me yelling at him!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1595 on: 16 October, 2011, 08:57:05 am »
I'm uber gutted I couldn't make it to Blackfriars, you can blame a temporary second job I've taken to pay for my new boiler.  Talk about living the dream  :)

« Reply #1596 on: 16 October, 2011, 09:53:49 am »
Wendy, in The Guardian Online.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1597 on: 16 October, 2011, 10:03:39 am »
Wendy, in The Guardian Online.

Oooh where?

« Reply #1598 on: 16 October, 2011, 10:09:09 am »

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1599 on: 16 October, 2011, 10:18:52 am »
But then my instructor, Mike, arrived. He must have been rollerblading at over 30 miles an hour and with his perfect form and sunglasses I didn't know whether I was about to get a lesson or enter a face-off with Agent Smith from The Matrix.

;D