Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 595142 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #2325 on: 06 January, 2013, 11:55:33 pm »
Clarion, in Richmond park on Friday night. I was riding with Zipperhead, he overtook us and I called out. I'd recognise his bottom anywhere.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2326 on: 07 January, 2013, 09:30:33 am »
I'm still baffled by that.  I never knew you had such an interest that you could pick out my arse in the park at night. ???
Getting there...

« Reply #2327 on: 09 January, 2013, 08:06:59 pm »
You don't see any, then three come along all at the same time. (Almost)
Greenwich foot tunnel southbound this evening: Trevor from Greenwich cyclists (not sure if he's otp)
I then encountered Adamski (otp) as he made his way northbound a pied.
A few minutes later Ross from over the road passed me.

« Reply #2328 on: 13 January, 2013, 12:55:42 am »
If this turns out to be correct, I think it will be a bit remarkable.

On Friday (11th of January) I drove down from Rochdale to Essex to attend the funeral of a friend.  I had just come off the main road near Braintree and was riding towards Takeley when a cyclist came towards me who looked remarkable like Bobb, though I have never met him and only know of him from the forum.  This was at 11 minutes past 12, lunchtime.  Bobb, was it you?  Dressed mostly in black, or navy and with a fetching black headband?

Peter

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2329 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:49:08 am »
The Braintree area is most definitely bobb's stomping ground.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2330 on: 13 January, 2013, 10:07:22 am »
Yes, I knew his general area of operation was round there.  There are some lovely lanes, though Braintree itself must be pretty desperate to ride through.  I did an extensive, unintentional, tour of it after the ceremony!

« Reply #2331 on: 13 January, 2013, 10:23:31 am »
Tom B looking at my bike as it was parked up outside Battery Park yesterday afternoon.
I think it was the Rohloff that caught his eye.
Before I took the "Gears-inna-can" plunge he very kindly let me have a go on his Rohloff bike  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2332 on: 13 January, 2013, 05:55:46 pm »
If this turns out to be correct, I think it will be a bit remarkable.

On Friday (11th of January) I drove down from Rochdale to Essex to attend the funeral of a friend.  I had just come off the main road near Braintree and was riding towards Takeley when a cyclist came towards me who looked remarkable like Bobb, though I have never met him and only know of him from the forum.  This was at 11 minutes past 12, lunchtime.  Bobb, was it you?  Dressed mostly in black, or navy and with a fetching black headband?

Peter

That would have definitely been me! I was out that way on Friday and I was indeed wearing a black jacket and my fetching black headband. Small world!  :)

Edit: I wouldn't say Braintree is my stomping ground. It's a shithole! I just happened to be out that way!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2333 on: 13 January, 2013, 06:08:23 pm »

That would have definitely been me! I was out that way on Friday and I was indeed wearing a black jacket and my fetching black headband. Small world!  :)

You read it here first folks! The secret of having the coolest hair EVAH is a fetching black headband!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2334 on: 13 January, 2013, 07:15:27 pm »
Yes!  Glad to have it confirmed that I needn't have been quite so circumspect about Braintree in order not offend anyone!

A great memory from an otherwise sad day.

« Reply #2335 on: 13 January, 2013, 07:49:34 pm »
It's pleasing to know, that in all corners of the land, if you keep your eyes peeled - you'll spot a YACFer  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2336 on: 15 January, 2013, 07:18:22 pm »
Especially CS7, where I spotted Crock of Gold this evening, in amongst the most ridiculous gridlock Tooting could offer.
Getting there...

« Reply #2337 on: 17 January, 2013, 07:03:22 pm »
I think I spotted Tigerrrrrr by the side of the cycle path in Hyde Park this morning. Don't normally go that way but had a conference in Marble Arch. I wasn't sure enough to shout 'Tigerrrrr' and come across as some sort of loon though.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #2338 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:20:12 pm »
Its nice to be spotted! Afraid that was me. Walking because I broke my chain just at the top of Notting hill.  Had to push the bike all the way across town (except for tyhe little downhills where I was able to coast). Very grumpy indeed as foot is broken and hurty, plus hands covered in chain black which due to the cold is now all inside gloves.  To cap it all replacement chains (3) for recumbent needed because of damage and bill came to £60.  Someone nicked my flag too.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2339 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:30:08 pm »
Saw NSTN (and Rob) at the London Bike Show today...

...on a poster.

I love your bike NSTN, it's gorgeous and I covet your satchell.

« Reply #2340 on: 19 January, 2013, 12:22:49 pm »
Its nice to be spotted! Afraid that was me. Walking because I broke my chain just at the top of Notting hill.  Had to push the bike all the way across town (except for tyhe little downhills where I was able to coast). Very grumpy indeed as foot is broken and hurty, plus hands covered in chain black which due to the cold is now all inside gloves.  To cap it all replacement chains (3) for recumbent needed because of damage and bill came to £60.  Someone nicked my flag too.

That does sound rubbish indeed, commiserations. Wish I'd said hello though! I was on a black Brommie.

Saw NSTN (and Rob) at the London Bike Show today...

...on a poster.

I love your bike NSTN, it's gorgeous and I covet your satchell.

Oooh we're going there tomorrow, how funny!

That bootiful bike has sadly gone to live with a friend of Andrij when I finally admitted to myself that it was too big for the flat (to help raise funds for a Brommie), but the satchel lives on. That was a 30th birthday present from four of my friends, two of whom were forummers. Good taste, those yacfers.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2341 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:31:44 pm »
At the Bike Show we saw NSTN & partner, and LWaB & HK.
Getting there...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2342 on: 24 January, 2013, 01:37:56 pm »
Phantas, fixing her bike on the way into work this morning.

Unfortunately I was late and so couldn't stop to help.  Sorry P!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2343 on: 24 January, 2013, 04:21:02 pm »
Tiermat and that Lindagordinho in the shop.

Someone may have taken some pictures.

I'll leave it to them to tell you why . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2344 on: 24 January, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »
I have not spotted any forumites on page 90 of the current (January) issue of Cycling World, although I should have.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LindaG

« Reply #2345 on: 24 January, 2013, 06:48:02 pm »
Peter. On speakerphone at Torslanda's shop  :D

Also had coffee with Tiermat and popped into Torslanda's to collect something green and shiny for Crusty.

The shop is a proper aladdin's cave. And there is Proper Cofee.

« Reply #2346 on: 24 January, 2013, 07:17:27 pm »
Phantas, fixing her bike on the way into work this morning.

Unfortunately I was late and so couldn't stop to help.  Sorry P!

Nothing properly broken - I just managed to not tighten the QR in the rear wheel enough when I put the wheel back on last night, so as soon as I tried to brake the wheel went forward in the dropouts. I think I manage to do this most times I remove the rear wheel - one day I might learn to tighten it properly! ::-)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2347 on: 25 January, 2013, 12:54:08 am »

Nothing properly broken - I just managed to not tighten the QR in the rear wheel enough when I put the wheel back on last night, so as soon as I tried to brake the wheel went forward in the dropouts. I think I manage to do this most times I remove the rear wheel - one day I might learn to tighten it properly! ::-)

If the dropout spacing of the frame is correct for the locknut dimensions of the wheel then removing  the wheel should only require the QR to be unlocked, the skewer/nut shouldn't need to be slackened at all. Simples!

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2348 on: 25 January, 2013, 01:01:13 am »
Peter. On speakerphone at Torslanda's shop  :D

Also had coffee with Tiermat and popped into Torslanda's to collect something green and shiny for Crusty.

The shop is a proper aladdin's cave. And there is Proper Cofee.

A-ha!  So that's where it was bound!  I saw it last week and admired it.  It is extremely green and shiny!

Nice to hear you, Linda!

« Reply #2349 on: 01 February, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »
TimO , not on a bike, posting on the Questionable Content forum  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark