Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 595135 times)

Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #2725 on: 01 October, 2013, 02:12:00 pm »
Gerwinium this morning, as he small-wheeled his way up to t'Wharf.
I said g'morning as I passed him but I'm not sure he heard / recognised me.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #2726 on: 01 October, 2013, 09:08:35 pm »

I recognised you, but I think you were too fast for me to hear my 'hi' :) - alternatively I could be too slow on the Dahon.

« Reply #2727 on: 01 October, 2013, 09:56:27 pm »

I recognised you, but I think you were too fast for me to hear my 'hi' :) - alternatively I could be too slow on the Dahon.
No worries - nice to see you.....  :)

Ruth

« Reply #2728 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:02:15 pm »
'Slow' Coach who rode his Thorn to my house this afternoon and stayed for tea. Was lovely :-)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2729 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:54:49 pm »
So what's the procedure, do you stop and chat or just a flying hello at the lights/over the road/overtake?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #2730 on: 06 October, 2013, 10:44:20 pm »
Despite having been back on my Kingston to Westminster commute since late July, I only had my first sighting of Zipperhead since then today.  No sign yet of Little Miss Mac or Nosototalnewbie – although I think the latter no longer works in the same area of London as me.

You are correct, I'm now much further east in Valiant territory.

'Procedure' is usually a yelled hello/shout of name as I pass Pippa or Andrij (and only once, Jurek) who are normally going in the opposite direction to me.

I think I might try out a different commute via the Isle of Dogs, though; I don't like Tower Bridge (for the motorised traffic) or the Cable Street cycle path (for the other cyclists) much.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2731 on: 06 October, 2013, 11:02:14 pm »
So what's the procedure, do you stop and chat or just a flying hello at the lights/over the road/overtake?

Usually do something like this, but remaining casual and slightly aloof.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2732 on: 06 October, 2013, 11:25:26 pm »
Despite having been back on my Kingston to Westminster commute since late July, I only had my first sighting of Zipperhead since then today.  No sign yet of Little Miss Mac or Nosototalnewbie – although I think the latter no longer works in the same area of London as me.

You are correct, I'm now much further east in Valiant territory.

'Procedure' is usually a yelled hello/shout of name as I pass Pippa or Andrij (and only once, Jurek) who are normally going in the opposite direction to me.

I think I might try out a different commute via the Isle of Dogs, though; I don't like Tower Bridge (for the motorised traffic) or the Cable Street cycle path (for the other cyclists) much.

Rotherhite?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #2733 on: 07 October, 2013, 06:50:36 am »
.......I think I might try out a different commute via the Isle of Dogs, though; I don't like Tower Bridge (for the motorised traffic) or the Cable Street cycle path (for the other cyclists) much.

If you get yourself down to Greenwich and use the foot tunnel (assuming the poxy lifts are working), I think you'll find the ride up the Isle of dogs is surprisingly quiet and light on traffic.
There's not much about until you reach the Wharf.
And for the most part, you'd probably be going against the flow, pre-Greenwich. No?

« Reply #2734 on: 07 October, 2013, 07:18:21 pm »
.......I think I might try out a different commute via the Isle of Dogs, though; I don't like Tower Bridge (for the motorised traffic) or the Cable Street cycle path (for the other cyclists) much.

If you get yourself down to Greenwich and use the foot tunnel (assuming the poxy lifts are working), I think you'll find the ride up the Isle of dogs is surprisingly quiet and light on traffic.
There's not much about until you reach the Wharf.
And for the most part, you'd probably be going against the flow, pre-Greenwich. No?

Thanks, I was thinking the island would be reasonably quiet. And yes, I'd be against the flow, though prolly on the A2/A202 most of the way. The blasted lifts are a consideration because the bag on the front of the Brom does seem to get rather heavy by the time I've filled it with various bits of crap. I have only been through the tunnel a handful of times and most of those at least one lift wasn't working.

Sam, are you suggesting Rotherhithe tunnel...I've done that once and have no desire to do it again?!

« Reply #2735 on: 07 October, 2013, 07:42:00 pm »
The Rotherhithe tunnel isn't too bad if you keep up momentum and ride on the pavement (one of the very few places I make no bones about doing so). I don't remotely mind using it occasionally - but I'd try quite hard to avoid using it daily

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2736 on: 07 October, 2013, 08:10:52 pm »
The Rotherhithe tunnel was the cause of one of the most rapid onset (and fortunately, rapid recovery) asthma attacks I've ever had.  Not something I'd consider doing with any regularity unless armed with Marathon Plus tyres (it's where wing mirrors who can't afford the view from Ditchling Beacon go to die), electric assist, and preferably an oxygen mask.

« Reply #2737 on: 07 October, 2013, 08:17:05 pm »
I was taking part in a Southwark cyclists ride and before I knew it they'd ridden into the tunnel. Even being on the pavement it was a hideous experience; it was a narrow pavement and cars were whizzing stinkily by. My lungs are probably still black inside. I reckon using it daily would take a few years off your life.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2738 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:03:47 pm »
The only thing worse than cycling through the Rotherhithe tunnel is trying to drive somebody else's car through it.  Even at 2am and with a good sense of spacial awareness it's still brown trousers time.

« Reply #2739 on: 07 October, 2013, 10:39:24 pm »
Sam, are you suggesting Rotherhithe tunnel...I've done that once and have no desire to do it again?!

I've done it a few times, but I consider myself as floating  loosely somewhere on the 'hardcore / assertive/ reckless' spectrum.
it is not an experience I'd recommend (or care to repeat).
Top tip?
Give it a miss.
Greenwich foot tunnel, busted lifts notwithstanding, FTW :)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2740 on: 08 October, 2013, 02:47:58 am »
When I was in SE1, I used it half the time. But then I'm an (ex) smoker so probably didn't find it so bad.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #2741 on: 09 October, 2013, 07:25:01 pm »
On the way in today I rode with Spencey666 late of this parish, later in the day, that there citoyen in a dead poncey coffee shop, he looked right at home.

Ruth

« Reply #2742 on: 09 October, 2013, 09:26:36 pm »
I spotted one beautiful forumite tonight, and two beautiful forumite artyfacks.

Crinklylion came up on the train.  She delivered:

A signed and personalised CD by Krystle Warren, which I am enjoying very much.  Thanks Crinkles!
Soup.
Breads.
Cheeses.
Wine.

And also:

A fabulous trivet, crafted by Arch and MFWHTBAB.  Made from a Hi-Bird Chainring.  It's so lovely, I can't tell you.

A wooden spoon, hand-carved by Charlotte.  It works, too, because we cooked and served the soup with it.  It looks beautiful, and it feels perfect in your hand when you use it. 

As housewarming gifts go, these make my house feel pretty warm.

Thanks so much you guys  :-*

Chris S

« Reply #2743 on: 09 October, 2013, 09:41:50 pm »
^
 :D

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2744 on: 09 October, 2013, 10:07:54 pm »
Now with photographic h'evidence....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2745 on: 09 October, 2013, 10:47:42 pm »
The spoon and the toothed triffid are both very lovely shininess - as is the pot. And there does seem to have been an attack of hob-cleaning fairies.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2746 on: 09 October, 2013, 11:46:47 pm »
Splendid! :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2747 on: 10 October, 2013, 12:56:59 am »
The spoon and the toothed triffid are both very lovely shininess - as is the pot. And there does seem to have been an attack of hob-cleaning fairies.

They've got teeth now?  I thought they just stung and absorbed nutrients from the decomposing flesh of their prey through their roots?

*grabs eye protection and wields flamethrower*

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2748 on: 10 October, 2013, 10:48:00 am »
I’ve just been speaking on the phone to a gentleman who is delivering his professional services at one of our Birmingham Offices.
During the conversation he paused and then asked, “Do I know you?”    ???  “Do you ride at bike?”  :o

Not actually spotted, but heard and chatted to.  Giro Paul.  :thumbsup:
  :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2749 on: 10 October, 2013, 10:52:57 am »
I’ve just been speaking on the phone to a gentleman who is delivering his professional services at one of our Birmingham Offices.
Yikes, that sounds dodgy!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk