Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 596490 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #825 on: 22 September, 2010, 04:51:58 pm »
Spotted Butterfly and Clarion in the latest Camping and Caravan Club magazine!

May we inquire as to whether this was in the doctor's or the dentist's waiting room?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #826 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:32:21 pm »
Possible sighting...

Caught up with a chap in a LEL jersey heading east past Tower of London just after 18:30.  Had a brief chat, but traffic was flowing and we parted ways.  Was it any of you?

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #827 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:43:59 pm »
A Wascally Weasel helping someone out (could have been someone else on here I think) by the Lupus St junction on the way home tonight. I waved (was wearing orange YACF jersey but had a rucksack on) but I'd only thought of something witty to say too late (several miles in fact).

Possible sighting...

Caught up with a chap in a LEL jersey heading east past Tower of London just after 18:30.  Had a brief chat, but traffic was flowing and we parted ways.  Was it any of you?

Well spoken, quite tall, on a Brompton with a carradice bag on the front? Might have been Xav who used to lurk here, rode most of last day of LEL with him, top chap, have bumped into him once or twice on my commute as he goes down Upper Ground.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #828 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:47:05 pm »
Possible sighting...

Well spoken, quite tall, on a Brompton with a carradice bag on the front? Might have been Xav who used to lurk here, rode most of last day of LEL with him, top chap, have bumped into him once or twice on my commute as he goes down Upper Ground.

Tall, you could say well spoken, but on a dark red / maroon fixed/ss of some sort (didn't get a good look).

« Reply #829 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:48:25 pm »
Hmm, not him then (and he'd be going the wrong way if he was going East in the evening).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #830 on: 25 September, 2010, 09:02:58 pm »
Earlier this evening I was invited into the home of the excellent Mr Blackburnrod where we passed a very pleasant hour in civilised conversation.

Excellent!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #831 on: 25 September, 2010, 09:24:21 pm »
Top chap.
Getting there...

Redlight

« Reply #832 on: 25 September, 2010, 11:40:17 pm »
Possible sighting...

Caught up with a chap in a LEL jersey heading east past Tower of London just after 18:30.  Had a brief chat, but traffic was flowing and we parted ways.  Was it any of you?

I think that might have been me. Did you peel off to the left as we approached the lights at Tower Bridge?  You were telling me that you had entered a tough 300km in Wales last year. Given what happened later on I wish I'd slowed down for a longer chat, but I was trying to get home in time to read bedtime stories!

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #833 on: 26 September, 2010, 07:47:45 am »
Possible sighting...

Caught up with a chap in a LEL jersey heading east past Tower of London just after 18:30.  Had a brief chat, but traffic was flowing and we parted ways.  Was it any of you?

I think that might have been me. Did you peel off to the left as we approached the lights at Tower Bridge?  You were telling me that you had entered a tough 300km in Wales last year. Given what happened later on I wish I'd slowed down for a longer chat, but I was trying to get home in time to read bedtime stories!

A pleasure to meet you, Redlight. :) 

About two minutes after parting ways I remembered the name of the ride: The Elenith.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #834 on: 26 September, 2010, 01:41:49 pm »
Speshact today on the north side of the Thames between Twickenham & Richmond bridges skillfully weaving between a herd of Sky Riders and learner drivers
A shitter and a giggler.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #835 on: 27 September, 2010, 09:38:17 am »
I saw Origamist at Stockwell this morning.  Don't think he saw me.  I was on a different bike, not wearing a yacf or Clarion jersey, and had a h*lm*t on.  I stuck on his tail till Oval, but never close enough to talk without distracting him.

Then I had to give up & let him go.  He really is quite fast.
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #836 on: 27 September, 2010, 01:07:39 pm »
A Wascally Weasel helping someone out (could have been someone else on here I think) by the Lupus St junction on the way home tonight. I waved (was wearing orange YACF jersey but had a rucksack on) but I'd only thought of something witty to say too late (several miles in fact).

That was definitely me, I think I was wearing my yacf points green jersey and he didn’t mention that he was on the forum so I'm guessing he wasn't.  He had a ripped tyre and a p*nct*r*, he didn’t have a pump with him so couldn’t inflate his spare tube.  He had however made a tyre boot from some cardboard from the pack his spare tube had been in, which I thought was pretty efficient.

Redlight

« Reply #837 on: 27 September, 2010, 10:10:26 pm »
Possible sighting...

A pleasure to meet you, Redlight. :) 

About two minutes after parting ways I remembered the name of the ride: The Elenith.

Good to meet you too. I should have put two and seven together given your past comments about the Cable Street "cycle route".  Of course, if you had named The Elenith I would have simply directed you to the side of the road and given you a good talking to!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #838 on: 28 September, 2010, 08:35:58 pm »
Earlier today I spotted Arch just outside my front door on her other trike - the big yellow work one.  So I gave her some cake :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #839 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:16:40 am »
*resolves to pass by the Crinklyresidence* :D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #840 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:21:49 am »
I saw Origamist at Stockwell this morning.  Don't think he saw me.  I was on a different bike, not wearing a yacf or Clarion jersey, and had a h*lm*t on.  I stuck on his tail till Oval, but never close enough to talk without distracting him.

I've seen him three days in a row now.

Last night I saw him at Stockwell, and caught up with him by Clapham North (he had a deeply unfortunate run of red lights).  He did a double take at the bike, and I explained about the S3X.  We had as in-depth a conversation as one can manage at the lights and the short distance to Apex (where I went first for a spacer).

This morning, I saw him again.  I think he was taking it easy, though.  I'm rather unwell today, and a bit slow, but I kept him in sight for a while before stopping beside him.  He commented about the size of the bike, but I think it's OK for me.  Then he sped off.  But I saw him walking his bike a little further on.  Hope everything was OK.  I was already late for work on a day I'm interviewing, so couldn't stop. :-\
Getting there...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #841 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:34:24 pm »
I was on my Brompton in That London today and didn't see a single one of you.  I must've been riding in open-air for at least, oh, 5 minutes.  (Then I retreated to the safety of the Northern Line.)

I saw my first (three) Boris Bike(s) though.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #842 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:40:23 pm »
the safety of the Northern Line

Not words you usually see together...

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #843 on: 30 September, 2010, 01:00:58 pm »

God created Arrakis the Northern line to train the Faithful

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #844 on: 30 September, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »

... and the Central Line to sap their will to live.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #845 on: 30 September, 2010, 01:08:12 pm »

... and the Piccadilly Line to teach them patience.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #846 on: 30 September, 2010, 01:11:00 pm »

...and the District Line to make them envious of anyone who commutes from west London by bicycle.

« Reply #847 on: 30 September, 2010, 01:50:37 pm »

I've seen him three days in a row now.

Last night I saw him at Stockwell, and caught up with him by Clapham North (he had a deeply unfortunate run of red lights).  He did a double take at the bike, and I explained about the S3X.  We had as in-depth a conversation as one can manage at the lights and the short distance to Apex (where I went first for a spacer).

This morning, I saw him again.  I think he was taking it easy, though.  I'm rather unwell today, and a bit slow, but I kept him in sight for a while before stopping beside him.  He commented about the size of the bike, but I think it's OK for me.  Then he sped off.  But I saw him walking his bike a little further on.  Hope everything was OK.  I was already late for work on a day I'm interviewing, so couldn't stop. :-\

Good to see you. I'm just recovering from a cold too...

The S3X might be worth an experiment - I'll consider a wheel build.

Puncture (again) - the Krylion Carbon rear has seen about 4000 miles and it's very susceptible to pointy/sharp object in the wet. Just been on the CRC site for a replacement.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #848 on: 30 September, 2010, 02:03:48 pm »

...and the District Line to make them envious of anyone who commutes from west London by bicycle.

and the Metropolitan Line so people can escape to South Bucks through Metroland (with Betjeman in mind).

« Reply #849 on: 01 October, 2010, 01:42:59 pm »
And the Bakerloo Line for getting from sarf of the river to Wemberley, to temporarily escape to a dream.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897