Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 595127 times)

Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #1300 on: 13 June, 2011, 12:46:31 pm »
Indeed - he'd not finished reciting his inscription by the time I said "That's Russ"

« Reply #1301 on: 13 June, 2011, 01:20:56 pm »
Indeed - he'd not finished reciting his inscription by the time I said "That's Russ"

:-)  I must get the courage to ride the Penny to work at some point..
Just someone's butler

JJ

« Reply #1302 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:03:32 pm »
I just passed and waved to an AUK top on Hills Road in Cambridge.  Anyone here?  Also a Manotea lookalike on the DNA path, but that cannot be.

« Reply #1303 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:11:14 pm »
Manotea was going to be cycling back from the Seething 300 via Cambridge and I did give him my route back from Cambridge to London that goes down the DNA path, but that should have been on Sunday, and he has been active here in the last hour...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

JJ

« Reply #1304 on: 14 June, 2011, 06:56:41 pm »
Self-replicating, innit.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1305 on: 14 June, 2011, 09:11:42 pm »
Was that The Things I saw early Saturday morning near Capel?  A cheery tandem team anyway, who waved while I regained my breath and got my bearings.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1306 on: 14 June, 2011, 10:06:38 pm »
Was that The Things I saw early Saturday morning near Capel?  A cheery tandem team anyway, who waved while I regained my breath and got my bearings.

Yep. Sounds like us - we were on the Invicta 600. The positive mental attitude must have been working if were 'cheery'!

Emma
California Dreaming

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1307 on: 14 June, 2011, 10:08:32 pm »
Blimey. Puts my pre breakfast 50km into perspective. And explains those other riders with route sheets on their bars.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1308 on: 14 June, 2011, 11:55:01 pm »
A lesser spotted interzen, onnabike, and then being sociable and everythink.  Whodathunkit! 

And Deano and Tiermat.  But I do seem to spot them in a pub fairly often, so I probably don't get as many points for them  :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1309 on: 15 June, 2011, 12:01:18 am »
A lesser spotted interzen, onnabike, and then being sociable and everythink.  Whodathunkit! 
Pics or it never happened  ;)
Sadly, my ability to blend into the surroundings failed me on the train back from Thirsk  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1310 on: 17 June, 2011, 12:32:56 pm »
Delthebike, en Brompton, negotiating Cuckoo Corner, heading south, at about 10.15. I was a passenger in a car.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1311 on: 17 June, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »
Wednesday just after 5pm, Wobbly John in Chettisham heading to Littleport, wearing a rather definitive tango orange top. I was heading for an abortive trip to the bike shop.

« Reply #1312 on: 17 June, 2011, 03:39:58 pm »
Did I, or did I not, spy a father and son pair of Walkers protesting about the extension of Southend airport on the telly last night?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1313 on: 19 June, 2011, 04:48:08 pm »
This morning, we rode up to Tooting the opposite way to the London to Brighton ride.  Good to see thousands of cyclists just having fun.  And we spotted a red yacf jersey, but we weren't quick enough to ID the rider.  :(
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1314 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:00:17 am »
This morning, we rode up to Tooting the opposite way to the London to Brighton ride.  Good to see thousands of cyclists just having fun.  And we spotted a red yacf jersey, but we weren't quick enough to ID the rider.  :(
'Twas I, Clarion - I caught your shout too late to properly reply, and doing anything rash in that crowd of BSOs would gave been fatal! I did wave, once the old brain cells had chugged into action, but probably far too late!

I was with my wife and her eldest, on his first longish mass-participation ride. He enjoyed it, but learned how dangerous these things can be if you treat them like a sportive - more accidents by high speed downhill riding than you can shake a stick at!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1315 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:08:57 am »
Oh bum.  If I'd known it was you, I'd probably have turned round and joined the crowd for a few hundred metres to say hello.  It was, as you say, a fleeting moment, but we saw you smile and wave :)

Hope you all had a fun ride, and that eldest will be persuaded to do more.

Good to learn from other people's mistakes.
Getting there...

« Reply #1316 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:50:16 am »
'Twas I, Clarion - I caught your shout too late to properly reply, and doing anything rash in that crowd of BSOs would gave been fatal! I did wave, once the old brain cells had chugged into action, but probably far too late!

I was with my wife and her eldest, on his first longish mass-participation ride. He enjoyed it, but learned how dangerous these things can be if you treat them like a sportive - more accidents by high speed downhill riding than you can shake a stick at!

I was shocked at the number of ambulances I saw on the route. I saw two in 300 yards on the run down off Ditchling to Brighton - one looked V. nasty (neck brace and board). And this was during the hail storm!

Having said that - it was a lovely ride, the route would ideal with c. 19000 less riders on it ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1317 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:17:43 am »
This morning, I caught up with Origamist :o :o :o

Quick chat, then let him go...
Getting there...

« Reply #1318 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:22:47 am »
This morning, I caught up with Origamist :o :o :o

Quick chat, then let him go...

He was stopped at some lights?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1319 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:25:43 am »
I did speak to him at the lights, but I saw him turning on to the road ahead and did catch his wheel before we stopped.  Then we trundled together for a bit, but I'm very conscious that he's a lot faster than me.  i don't like holding people up, and there is no way that I'd have been able to sustain the speed.
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1320 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:40:04 am »
We managed to miss all the rain - let alone hail - but we saw maybe seven or eight ambulances attending spills. One or two looked pretty serious, including one chap who'd landed up 20 yards into a field on the downhill after Fanny's Farm. And one guy managed to take out my wife by trying to overtake on a busy stretch, hitting the wing mirror of a car going the other way, and bouncing off into the crowd of riders on his left, the nearest to him being the Lady V! Fortunately no harm was done, other than to pride, but it could have been so much worse. Anyway, other than that, it was a good ride and young Master A is looking forward to more - he liked the idea of the Dun Run!!

A shame you didn't spend a few minutes with us, Clarion - it would have been good to meet you!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1321 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:45:37 am »
We managed to miss all the rain - let alone hail - but we saw maybe seven or eight ambulances attending spills. One or two looked pretty serious, including one chap who'd landed up 20 yards into a field on the downhill after Fanny's Farm. And one guy managed to take out my wife by trying to overtake on a busy stretch, hitting the wing mirror of a car going the other way, and bouncing off into the crowd of riders on his left, the nearest to him being the Lady V! Fortunately no harm was done, other than to pride, but it could have been so much worse. Anyway, other than that, it was a good ride and young Master A is looking forward to more - he liked the idea of the Dun Run!!

Sorry to hear there was an off in your party :(  But pleased it wasn't serious.

A shame you didn't spend a few minutes with us, Clarion - it would have been good to meet you!

I assure you that meeting Butterfly would have been better ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1322 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:49:44 am »
Nice to make the acquaintance of Jethro at the start of the Cotswold Expedition audax yesterday.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1323 on: 20 June, 2011, 12:24:54 pm »
i was also surprised how many incidents i've seen on bhf ride. one lady braked sharp and turned across the road into a rest area with no prior indication, nearly causing a pile-up. other two riders colided just riding next to each other an chatting! i've seen at least four ambulance crews attenting crash scenes, and i was going at a time when the road was not that crowded (left clapham common at 6:40am). having cycled among considerate and experienced cyclists on fnrttcs, audaxes etc lately, it's quite shocking to observe the lack of roadsense of general public.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1324 on: 20 June, 2011, 12:28:41 pm »
At least some of those transgressors probably would behave better on an FNRttC run.  A huge ride like that, it's an anonymous nearly-mob.  I find other ways to contribute to charity.  Not for me
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher