Author Topic: Your fatbike  (Read 80667 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Your fatbike
« Reply #50 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:20:41 am »
carbon Salsa bucksaw!  :o

http://salsacycles.com/culture/introducing_bucksaw_carbon
Meh.
Whilst the Bucksaw is clearly popular enough that Salsa are doing it in carbon, it really doesn't do much for me. The whole suspension-onna-fatbike thing strikes me as an exercise in 'look what we can do!!11!one!'. OTOH, I expect that the DH crowd will be all over them.

There's also the fact that even by fat-bike standards it's going to be heart-stoppingly expensive1

More power to them.

1 - word has reached my ears that you're probably looking at around £3k for the frame and £7k for a full build.  My sources have been known to be wrong, but not that often ...

« Reply #51 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:23:23 am »
That looks good but for some reason, full suss fatbikes don't appeal to me. They look good as a hardtail but I can't get into them as fs, but a big yes to carbon, maybe belt drive too.

Mines 99% done. Waiting on chainrings for a middleburn crank, won't be on it this weekend now >:(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #52 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:25:20 am »
If I were going down the baked-soot route then it'd either be a Beargrease or a Borealis Yampa.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #53 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:31:00 am »
I think IZ is right, the full sus ones will have the gravity assisted guys all over them.  They went, half heartedly, in that direction in the late '90's with bikes that could take the Nokon tyres (3.5") but it seemed to fizzle out.  29ers don't seem to be making much headway, nor 650B.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #54 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:37:17 am »
I think it's quite conceivable that fatbike DH races will become a Thing within the next couple of years.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #55 on: 07 November, 2014, 12:01:09 pm »
I think IZ is right, the full sus ones will have the gravity assisted guys all over them.  They went, half heartedly, in that direction in the late '90's with bikes that could take the Nokon tyres (3.5") but it seemed to fizzle out.  29ers don't seem to be making much headway, nor 650B.

Although a fatbike is a 29er!

Took mine to a trail centre last night once I was prepared to commit it was amazing just how much grip I had so I can easily see a full suss fatbike working for downhill, but I think they'd need more travel than the 100mm or so that hey currently have

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #56 on: 07 November, 2014, 12:19:15 pm »

Point taken, I should have maybe then said 700C!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #57 on: 07 November, 2014, 08:27:50 pm »

Yes and no.
Effective wheel diameter is about that of a typical 29er, but the rims, tyres and whatnot are 26"

As for 29ers not making much headway, I can't agree with that - for the sort of riding I do there's a significant difference between the handling of a 26er and a 29er, to the degree that I've 'harmonised' my stable such that the only non-700c bike is ... Pugsley (it also minimises the risk of accidently packing a 26er innertube when you head out. DAHIKT)

650b is just another marketing ploy.

« Reply #58 on: 07 November, 2014, 08:59:21 pm »
Would love a fatbike, but it needs to wait as I've just been given a lovely A S Gillott that will need a bit of fettling - its previous owner was at one time the record holder for London-Brighton-London, but it's too big for his son.

Also need to build a 'new' mtb for the older bairn. I've a spare pair of 26 inch wheels and most of an EVO2 floating around, but there will no doubt be COSTS, so no fatbike for a while....

Love the dinglespeed and rifle

Mike

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #59 on: 08 November, 2014, 10:24:43 am »
LBS has helpfully (like crack dealers) offered a Mondraker Panzer for December delivery.
Bike shops are like that.
Mine is, anyway - get something orange in, stick it on prominent display in the shop and they know I'll buy it  .... and I'm daft enough to fall for it pretty much every time  ;D

« Reply #60 on: 08 November, 2014, 11:24:04 am »
Mine do the same with rigid 80's steel mtbs. I'm off to colkect one for youngest daughter now!!  :)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #61 on: 08 November, 2014, 03:06:55 pm »
Finished ;D

17" 907 170mm frame
Carver o beast carbon fork
Surly marge lite rims with nates
Rear hope fatsno hub
Front Jones 135 hub
Bb7 brakes with avid speed dial levers
Middleburn crank 32t/20t hardcoat rings
Hope bb
Slx clutch mech
Slx shifters, front e type mech, cassette
On one of carbon bars
Thomson stem, inline post
Saint pedals

Just need to ride it now :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #62 on: 08 November, 2014, 04:29:42 pm »
^ That's cool mister! That's a very striking machine.  It has an elegant functionality about it.   :thumbsup:
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #63 on: 08 November, 2014, 04:32:04 pm »
It needs mud " Jealous mode" Beautiful build.  :thumbsup:

PaulF

« Reply #64 on: 08 November, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »
Very nice!

« Reply #65 on: 08 November, 2014, 05:05:30 pm »
Thanks all. It belonged to Tim at Sideways, I've basically stripped it all back to the frame and rebuilt with new parts, bearings etc.*. He'd not cleaned it since owning it, maybe a wipe with a damp rag  :facepalm:

*That's a slight understatement, it's taken a week to clean off, polish out scratches etc. and get to a new state. My wife thought I had pissed my money away ;D

It should be muddy tomorrow Gus :thumbsup:

« Reply #66 on: 09 November, 2014, 08:13:58 am »
Went out on it early this morning. It's completely different to the mukluk.

The forks make the front really flickable, easy to lift too compared to the mukluk. Forgot how a Hope rear hub can clear the woods of wildlife ;D just makes you pedal more ! Just need to tinker with the gears a bit, then it's ready for its next ride out.

Glad I went down this route with the new bike, almost got a caribou/mukluk3 instead. This is definitely more of a trail tool. To be fair though, the mukluk2 was purchased for bike packing. It's perfect for that job, very stable even when it's carrying all of my kit.

I now don't have to worry about changing tyres, Nates on one, Larrys on the other :thumbsup:

I've just cleaned myself up, having a brew, then de-crudding the bike!

PaulF

« Reply #67 on: 09 November, 2014, 09:22:03 am »

what's thepoint?You know it's only going to get muddy again! ;D

Glad you're enjoying it

« Reply #68 on: 09 November, 2014, 09:24:26 am »

what's thepoint?You know it's only going to get muddy again! ;D

Glad you're enjoying it

It's part of the 'fun'  :P

« Reply #69 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:10:42 pm »
Had a few rides on these now, much better than Mary bars. They're wider with a slightly different angle/sweep back. They come in carbon and aluminium flavours, recommended :thumbsup:

PaulF

« Reply #70 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:12:32 pm »
Are they standard diameter or oversized?

« Reply #71 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:15:03 pm »
Os Paul. Don't know if they do a standard.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #72 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:20:47 pm »
If they're OG Carbons, and they look like them, then they're 31.8

Methinks both Pugsley and the El Mariachi might be going on a diet ...

PaulF

« Reply #73 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:23:35 pm »
Thanks, fancy a pair as a change from the Mary bars but that will need a new stem and I've got a nice Hope one on the Puffin ???

Maybe try on teh Swift first as that has a no name stem and is a little long

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #74 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:27:15 pm »
I face a similar dilemma - whilst Pugsley has an On-One stem which is due to be replaced anyway, the ElMar has a Thomson  :-\

On the other hand, shifting a bit more weight off the Tour Divide bike is a Good ThingTM and a tubeless Pugsley with carbon bars will be relatively svelte too.

Ah well, not long until pay-day.