Author Topic: I want to get going  (Read 2086 times)

Phil W

I want to get going
« on: 15 August, 2019, 10:30:11 am »
Am I only one watching the time tick by till they can load the bike up and get going? Time seems to have slowed down right now.

Diesel

• or Richard
Re: I want to get going
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2019, 10:35:07 am »
Yep, bike ready behind me but on a skype call for work....

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2019, 10:50:03 am »
I know, the bastards don't care...

Time was speeding along in the past couple of weeks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2019, 10:53:41 am »
I have to finish today's work, then ride home, then pack for PBP. Tomorrow morning I will finally escape the everyday humdrum.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2019, 10:55:36 am »
I've seen a lot of people posting photos of their trip on social media.   Setting off quite early it seems.

I'm at my desk until tomorrow lunchtime and then on an evening ferry from Dover.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:10:38 am »
My train is at 2:15, so I'm just kicking my heels and fretting about what I've forgotten.

I have a bike, clothes, money and passport.

When I dismantled the bike to go in the box, I did it in a clear area and ensured that every tool I used was packed in the box so I can be sure I have everything I need to remantle it!

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:22:40 am »
Luckily I just realised that I need to move my axle-mounted front light to the left hand side of the bike, test after dark to see if the shadow of the disc is a problem, and maybe move it to the fork crown and adjust luggage to make room for it.

That should keep me entertained until the off without resorting to compulsively unpacking and repacking my luggage 15 times.

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:24:12 am »
Am I only one watching the time tick by till they can load the bike up and get going? Time seems to have slowed down right now.

Exact opposite-feel like I'm running out of time. The atmosphere at work doesn't help lift my mood either.
Should be excited but feel anxious and even depressed, even though I am really looking forward to it.
I am sure it will come right.

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:38:12 am »
I’ve been watching the clock since the last qualifier 600 on June 1st, it’s been a long wait!

Too long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonp

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:04:42 pm »
Just cleaned the bike. It’s drying while I sort something to eat before packing it up.

« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:33:57 pm »
One advantage of riding to the start is that you get to start the adventure that bit earlier.

Had I have been taking part in PBP this time I'd have already set off from home (Worcester) at around 7am this morning. So...

Thursday: a DIY 200 to Portsmouth. Overnight ferry.

Friday: another DIY 200 to SQY. Find overnight accomodation and vainly try to find somewhere to eat that's still open...

Saturday bike check/registration/catch up with people I haven't seen for four years/eat/get drunk.

Sunday: panic!

:thumbsup:
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:41:20 pm »
I just made pasta carbonara for lunch
Two hours until the first of too many trains to get to the ferry

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:43:24 pm »
One advantage of riding to the start is that you get to start the adventure that bit earlier.

Had I have been taking part in PBP this time I'd have already set off from home (Worcester) at around 7am this morning. So...

Thursday: a DIY 200 to Portsmouth. Overnight ferry.

Friday: another DIY 200 to SQY. Find overnight accomodation

Should be easy, especially in the campsites
Rambouillet, OTOH :)

S2L

« Reply #13 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:44:06 pm »
I just made pasta carbonara for lunch

Did you make it properly, or just dumped a lot of cream to avoid the eggs going scrambled?

Davef

« Reply #14 on: 15 August, 2019, 01:44:42 pm »
I am en route. Refuelling at pub lunch stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #15 on: 15 August, 2019, 02:39:29 pm »
I’ve just unloaded the car at my son’s place in Nottingham. Coffee then drive back to MK, where I’ll probably re-pack the bike, decide if I need the spare clothes and tyre (for the first time on a long event I’ve not put new tyres on, which has meant 0 punctures on 2 LELs and 1 PBP), then leave it to the last minute to cycle to the station.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #16 on: 15 August, 2019, 05:11:12 pm »
Computer off, work phone off and ready to f***off.