Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 284239 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Yep, I finished work and had a shower before dinner this evening.  My office was unpleasant this afternoon.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Was planning a long commute home before I hit the bike shed at which point it became a very steady short commute home.

Absolutely suffering in the heat here. Not.

Actually it is close to normal summer temps, but with wind. About 17C today.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
30°C here at the moment. I thought it was the highest of the year, but I look back and find that my machine recorded 31.4°C on 17th June. That was the day we were driving back from Shrewsbury and the car registered a perfectly credible 35°C on the M25 in the environs of St. Albans.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

28 deg C here and just had a gentle but short shower. Humidity high.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Warmish but overcast and windy here.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Still 25°C here. There might be a midnight swim. It will be my third night swim in a row.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
28 deg C here and just had a gentle but short shower.
Saving water 👌
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

My alarm goes off at 05.25
Monday, the weather station was showing 15°C at that time
Yesterday, it was 18°C
This morning it was 22°C   
I leave the house at ~05:50
The sun is not above the horizon at this point in time.  :o

I'm in the office, over in the we(s)t today. It's cool and there are grey clouds looming...wishing I'd brought a coat! :(

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
33.8 in the Estate Office atm - up from 31.2 when I switched the Babbage-Engine on a couple of hours ago.  Almost time for the blessed (relative) cool of Downstairs...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
After my swim last night, at 12.30am the temperature in my garden was 23.7°C.

It has now dropped to 19°C. Curiously, the Met Office claims that at present in Southend the temperature is 23°C. Normally the two concur pretty accurately.

ian

Working al fresco at the moment. Still 35 degrees though. Though the view over Tuscany is nice.

Last weekend we went to a wedding, the bride and groom travelling from their home in Kuala Lumpar. Out of interest I looked up the weather for there. Highs of 32/34C, lows of 22/24C.  Like Monday here. Except those figures are for 365 days of the year.

ETA And more scaremongering from the Graun, this time about the heat and the thousands it may kill. Forgetting that it advertises holidays to Mexico and Florida where, guess what, the weathers exactly like we’ll be getting next week  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
It rained. It might still be raining.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Last weekend we went to a wedding, the bride and groom travelling from their home in Kuala Lumpar. Out of interest I looked up the weather for there. Highs of 32/34C, lows of 22/24C.  Like Monday here. Except those figures are for 365 days of the year.

ETA And more scaremongering from the Graun, this time about the heat and the thousands it may kill. Forgetting that it advertises holidays to Mexico and Florida where, guess what, the weathers exactly like we’ll be getting next week  ::-)

Funnily enough, if the weather is like that all the time in Kuala Lumpur, then vulnerable people are likely to die all the time and there will be no peaks and troughs. Here, those likely to die from extremely hot weather will only do so when it’s extremely hot. And those off on holiday to hot places are a self-selecting group who are unlikely to go there if they can’t stand the heat.

It’s a bit like northerners complaining when the south gets bad weather (eg strong winds) that are less strong than occur up north: they are more damaging down south because flimsy building don’t get tested as often, builders might well get away with cutting corners and maintenance might well happen less often.

MEt office has confirmed; it has been a manky July in the Hebrides.

26% of the normal average sunlight for July.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Well, for the first time in several months, proper rain and several hours of it.  It was raining when I woke up and only stopped about 2pm.  It was always going to be so though, as I am on Day 1 of my hollibobs in Devon.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Rain was forecast for today in Suffolk. It failed to turn up.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
My brother tells me that the 5mm that fell in July was the driest since Essex Water Company records began in 1960. This is somewhat skewed in that, since he retired, he's been keeping his own records at home about 3 miles away from the site of the 1960 - 2010 records.

I recorded 1.4mm at ground level, 1.2mm on the roof.

My brother tells me that the 5mm that fell in July was the driest since Essex Water Company records began in 1960. This is somewhat skewed in that, since he retired, he' been keeping his own records at home about 3 miles away from the site of the 1960 - 2010 records.

I recorded 1.4mm at ground level, 1.2mm on the roof.

I can well believe it.  I am normally Essex / Herts borders and I don’t remember any more than a few spots of rain in July (or June come to that), certainly not enough to wet the ground.

Very odd feeling today, like waiting for a thunderstorm, but k owing full well it isn’t coming. Overcast, warm and windy, and a pleasant 26C.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

I put together a bike around the 20th of June and it has never been ridden in the rain yet despite being out 5 or 6 days a week, including  commutes.

What I really don't want is the sewage infested downpours we had around this time last year.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Very odd feeling today, like waiting for a thunderstorm, but k owing full well it isn’t coming. Overcast, warm and windy, and a pleasant 26C.

very humid here when I went for a lunchtime ride, I've been expecting rain all day
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens