Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 284319 times)

-2.8°C when I left the house at 05.40 this morning.
Still in shorts.

Still in shorts.

Are you from Newcastle?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Still in shorts.

Are you from Newcastle?

Or a Postman?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
They were gritting the main roads as I rode home last night and I could taste the salt in the air. No snow or ice this morning though, that I've seen.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Still in shorts.

Are you from Newcastle?

Or a Postman?

Or going to the gym?  (I'm in shorts for going to the gym but in trackie bottoms for walking the dog afterwards).

It was -3 when I went to the gym at 6.00am this morning.  Coming back it had warmed up to -1.5 and it's still that.

The freezing fog is beginning to lift.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

I rode a couple of miles to the local Aldi yesterday evening at about 1900.  It was pretty nippy but I had a lot of layers on.  When I got there the bike lock had frozen so I couldn't unlock it to secure my bike.  I decided that it was cold enough for it not to be bike thief weather and just left the bike leaning against the bike stand.  It was still there when I came back out of the shop  :thumbsup:

The lock had thawed after a short while inside the house - I will give it a blast of WD40 which will hopefully stop it freezing again.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Still in shorts.

Are you from Newcastle?

Or a Postman?

Or going to the gym?  (I'm in shorts for going to the gym but in trackie bottoms for walking the dog afterwards).

It was -3 when I went to the gym at 6.00am this morning.  Coming back it had warmed up to -1.5 and it's still that.

The freezing fog is beginning to lift.

Been bright all day in this bit of Cambridgeshire
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

Popped out to pick up an errant schoolchild-deposited crisp packet from the drive. That was enough cold enough for me. Did manage to keep the heating off all day, but gave up at 4 pm and advanced it an hour. It's still toiling and boiling its way toward 20 degrees. I have fetched the oil radiator from the garage, today was enough first-world hardship for this man.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
It's that four weeks of the year where, given cloud coverage, it never actually gets light all day.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Fog, freezing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Fog, freezing.

We had that yesterday, the first proper freezing fog I've experianced for years.  Evidenced by the rear passenger door, behind which I stow my laptop bag, being frozen shut again after my 20 minute commute.

Rain (again) today.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beware of Storm Elin

There were 33 flood warnings for England in place on Saturday, as well as 181 of the less severe flood alerts. The Environment Agency warned people not to walk through flood water, saying it can contain dangers including sharp objects, sewage, uncovered manholes and chemicals and strange wee beasties.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/09/met-office-issues-yellow-alerts-for-rain-and-wind-across-uk-and-ireland

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier

It’s a bit wet in York

4.2m

The York Press site in your link is not responding,  they must be underwater !    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/weather/topstories/pumps-out-all-night-in-bid-to-contain-york-flood-waters/ar-AA1lmVAt
I tend to use the following link to determine my route to and from work:

http://nosearmy.com/isitflooded/

The above gives a good indication of whether (or not!) the Millennium Bridge access is above water level or whether I need to use an alternative route.
(If the coloured section is red, it's a bit moist. If it's green, you won't get your feet wet (although there may be mud around if it has been red recently...))

ETA: I forgot to point out that the locations are arranged with the first to flood at the top down to the last to flood at the bottom.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I went to Nottingham on a train yesterday and the Trent had burst its banks in places.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

It’s a bit wet in York

4.2m

The York Press site in your link is not responding,  they must be underwater !    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/weather/topstories/pumps-out-all-night-in-bid-to-contain-york-flood-waters/ar-AA1lmVAt
I tend to use the following link to determine my route to and from work:

http://nosearmy.com/isitflooded/

The above gives a good indication of whether (or not!) the Millennium Bridge access is above water level or whether I need to use an alternative route.
(If the coloured section is red, it's a bit moist. If it's green, you won't get your feet wet (although there may be mud around if it has been red recently...))

ETA: I forgot to point out that the locations are arranged with the first to flood at the top down to the last to flood at the bottom.

That's useful.  It's quite rare for the Millennium Bridge to be unusable but it was last month.  From South Bank I was tempted to ford it, but I knew that even if I didn't topple over, I'd get my feet wet, and would I get off the bridge on the other side?  So it was the long way round for me. 

“Council chiefs have deferred a scheme to raise the pathway at a York bridge to stop it from flooding until the scheme gets approval from the Environment Agency. “

Taken seven years apparently. Doesn’t look like a huge task, but it may have hidden depths.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/23989199.york-millennium-bridge-flood-prevention-work-deferred/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Those bike racks being underwater is York's version of the Gävle Goat catching fire.  It would be a shame to ruin a tradition...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
The nights are drawing out…

One more day Wow. Be patient, most folks havnt a clue.
I work outside and am aware of sunrise/set. Wind direction and most things weatherish. Anyway, the evenings opening out is always a reason to celebrate

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/southend-on-sea

Does it depend where you are? That says 15.47 for yesterday’s sunset, 15.48 for today's…

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Oh goody. Sunset is 16.06 here today, as opposed to 16.05 yesterday.
Sunrise still getting later, of course.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Going to hit 12C today, a real heatwave.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
It's not natural I tell you. Pumpkin's been out for ages this morning so she's obviously decided it's summer again.

Sunset at 1526 here.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.