Author Topic: Turbo after clavicle fracture  (Read 3495 times)

Turbo after clavicle fracture
« on: 17 June, 2016, 07:24:20 pm »
I broke my clavicle 48 hours ago and had my operation 10 hours ago. All being well I will be allowed on turbo in 2 weeks. But no gripping the bar for 8 weeks with that side.

I was thinking an hour of constant heart rate in zone 2 would be a start whilst watching a film. Keeps base endurance and is lowish intensity.

Next I thought of single leg drills. Again low intensity and good practise.

Off the bike I was thinking static wall squats. I was thinking some balance work as my ankle proprioception has never been good.

I will be looking at other core stuff but will need some thought as to what I can do.

Any other thoughts and advice?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Turbo after clavicle fracture
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2016, 07:55:21 pm »
Mend well and fast!

« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2016, 07:57:26 pm »
Thank you

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2016, 08:31:51 pm »
GWS (first priority?).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2016, 01:23:20 pm »
When mine was healing I used a step to get on & off the bike. It's hard to get on one-handed.

Good luck with the healing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2016, 03:36:00 pm »
When mine was healing I used a step to get on & off the bike. It's hard to get on one-handed.

Good luck with the healing.
This

Luckily we had one of those Reebok Steps in the roof of the garage (next to mini trampoline exercise bouncer) that hadn't seen the light of day for some time.

Make sure you get the tilt of the saddle right as it's easy to end up with the bike not level. When I broke my hand in had the front wheel purposely high to bring the bars up a bit which meant I lowered the nose on the saddle a touch.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2016, 02:26:07 pm »
GWS!

Eight weeks is a long time to not even be able to grip the bars. I'm usually going slightly mad after four and been lucky enough on all but one occasion to be back on the road before six. Turbo work is a lifesaver when it comes to collarbones.

I'd be wary of the balance work without specific guidance from a physio.

Having a major group of muscles out of the action when you initiate it could lead to some difficult to unlearn activations.

I think care needs to be taken with core work for the same reasons.

In my experience balance work is also most likely to prompt those reflex reactions that turn me green and make me think "I really didn't want to do that" when recovering with a broken collarbone or from surgery.

With the individual leg work there would need to be an absolute focus on technique and isolation as it is very easy to transfer the effort through the core and start working bits and pieces that you don't mean to.

With good technique is there a necessity to keep intensity low? Some speed work in a very low gear will give you some of the buzz that you will be missing due to enforced rest and increased blood flow should help with healing. Simply spinning up and down by 5rpm per minute concentrating on keeping the upper body relaxed and upright should place no demands on the shoulders.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2016, 06:07:45 pm »
GWS. Didn't need an operation after my snap. At least yo can sit up straight and still use legs.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2016, 11:31:42 pm »
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I really like Tom Danielson's core advantage book which has cycling related core exercises in, some of which you could do with your injury. Being pressed for time I often don't get round to focusing on my core and it's often when I'm a bit under the weather or injured. Definitely worth making time for though.
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2016, 08:23:29 am »
I was thinking of the Tom Danielson book as well, thank you. It is now 11 days and I am have had no painkillers for 24 hours.

Interestingly constipation is still real despite no opiates for 48 hours.

I have a Physio appointment on Monday and my own Pilates on Tuesday so plan to be on the turbo on Wednesday morning.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2016, 12:22:05 pm »
Plums are in season...stew a punnet!

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2016, 09:21:38 pm »
Does stewing plums enhance their laxative efficacy?  I love raw Victorias, seems a pity to boil them.

Prunes definitely benefit from stewing - I have half a dozen on my porridge every morning.  Works for me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 27 June, 2016, 01:36:10 am »
Suspect you can eat MOAR plums if you stew them. Don't know if it changes laxative effect per se.