Author Topic: Pop quiz  (Read 174233 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Pop quiz
« Reply #1850 on: 22 April, 2012, 09:22:48 pm »
No, but you're so warm you're on fire.
I can't come up with anything.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pop quiz
« Reply #1851 on: 22 April, 2012, 11:11:55 pm »
There's a Giant Steps by the Boo Radleys.  Is Kidnapped by Neptune by Atticus Finch?

No, but you've got the idea.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1852 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:09:59 am »
Is Kidnapped By Neptune in some way connected with Tom Robinson, then?  I've not heard of it, and I thought I was pretty much au fait with his oeuvre... ???
Getting there...

« Reply #1853 on: 23 April, 2012, 11:50:39 am »
Kidnapped by Neptune is an album by Scout Niblett.

The only literary reference seems to be to Treasure Island.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1854 on: 23 April, 2012, 11:53:03 am »
Ah!  Scout is the daughter of Atticus Finch.  She's Scout Finch, but nonetheless, that'll be the link.

Edit after Gewgalling: Jean Louise 'Scout' Finch.  Arthur 'Boo' Radley.  So they are both characters in TKAM known by nicknames.
Getting there...

Pop quiz
« Reply #1855 on: 23 April, 2012, 01:59:26 pm »
That's it. Both albums are by artists named after characters in To Kill A Mockingbird.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1856 on: 23 April, 2012, 03:37:14 pm »
Here's a relatively easy one: what do the following recordings have in common?

10cc - Dreadlock Holiday
Kirsty MacColl - A New England
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
And almost anything by Westlife.

Has anyone got Roger's?  I missed the answer if they did.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1857 on: 23 April, 2012, 07:38:48 pm »
Another clue: it does not apply to Billy Bragg's original song.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1858 on: 25 April, 2012, 09:15:20 pm »
I've just heard Kirsty's and I can't think of anything.  Did they have the same producer?

OK, in the meantime, here's a funny quickie:

What did Buck's Fizz and Gene Loves Jezebel have in common originally?  And what do they have in common now (give or take an Original)?
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1859 on: 25 April, 2012, 09:17:14 pm »
I've just heard Kirsty's and I can't think of anything.  Did they have the same producer?
Key change for the final verse!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1860 on: 26 April, 2012, 08:11:47 am »

OK, in the meantime, here's a funny quickie:

What did Buck's Fizz and Gene Loves Jezebel have in common originally?  And what do they have in common now (give or take an Original)?

Nobody likes them and Nobody likes them?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1861 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:32:37 am »
There is certainly that, though disrobing part way through a song* has its charms ;D

* Not Gene Loves Jezebel.  Please, God, no!  Those images will haunt me now :o
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1862 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:40:49 am »
The original part link is Jay Aston, the now link is that there are two bands with the same name (Buck's Fizz and The Original Bucks Fizz as well as Gene Loves Jezebel and Jay|Michael Aston's Jene Loves Jezebel)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1863 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:48:56 am »
Spot on!  Yes, Jay Aston was in the original Bucks Fizz line up, prompted the split when she left, and is now in the Original Buck's Fizz, while Buck's Fizz is touring separately, with only one of the original line up.

GLJ was started by, inter alia, brothers Michael and Jay Aston (different one!).  After some acrimonious splits, there are now two versions of the band touring.

Incidentally, the most versions of a band concurrent I know of is Sweet, with three*.  Does anyone know of any bands with four competing versions (or even other triples)?**

*   Brian Connolly's Sweet, Steve Priest's Sweet and Andy Scott's Sweet.  The latter two are extant, but tour different areas (Steve US & Andy Europe/Aus)
** Not formally a question on this thread, but an idle query from me.
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #1864 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:53:26 am »
A quick and easy one from me then.

What links:
3 Colours Red
Dog's D'Amour
The Quireboys
Ginger

Bonus point, the first band had an album called Revolt, why was it called thus?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1865 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:55:57 am »
Didn't 3CR split after Revolt?  Maybe before it was put out, so it represented the turmoil in the band? </wild shot at wrong target>
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1866 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:00:24 am »
OK, I think I can link the middle two, and not just by their massive overuse of hairspray ;D

I believe that Dogs were formed by some ex-members of the Quireboys.  Maybe they all share members?  I confess I've never heard of Ginger, though I do know that Tim Minchin, another serial abuser of eyeliner and hair product, sings that 'Only a ginger can call another ginger ginger' ;D
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #1867 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:02:20 am »
Didn't 3CR split after Revolt?  Maybe before it was put out, so it represented the turmoil in the band? </wild shot at wrong target>

Yes they did, but that was not why the album was called Revolt, it's a bit more, ermmmm, local.  Maybe finding an image of the album cover might help.

LEE

« Reply #1868 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:05:09 am »
Spot on!  Yes, Jay Aston was in the original Bucks Fizz line up, prompted the split when she left, and is now in the Original Buck's Fizz, while Buck's Fizz is touring separately, with only one of the original line up.

Thanks...I'd hate to turn up at the wrong Bucks Fizz gig.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1869 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:06:27 am »
OK, it's a lot of pylons.  I have no idea.  My knowledge is exhausted.  Someone else will come along shortly, I am sure ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1870 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:07:29 am »

Thanks...I'd hate to turn up at the wrong Bucks Fizz gig.

Happy to provide an important public service.  You wouldn't want to turn up at the wrong GLJ concert, either*

* IMO one at which Jay Aston's band is playing.  Or Michael's ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1871 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:14:21 am »
Hold on a minute!  Ginger isn't necessarily a band.  Ginger is a rock guitarist, isn't he?  Need to try to remember which bands he played in. :D
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #1872 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:16:07 am »
Sorry, yes I should have been more specific, the Ginger I refer to is also known as Mike Walls, but records as Ginger, Howling Willie C*nt, Silver Ginger 5 and Ginger & The Sonic Circus.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1873 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:22:04 am »
No, don't apologise.  I think it's a lovely twist, which challenges our assumptions.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1874 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:50:45 am »
Incidentally, the most versions of a band concurrent I know of is Sweet, with three*.  Does anyone know of any bands with four competing versions (or even other triples)?

IIRC at one point there were half a dozen versions of The Drifters, a Several of which contained no original members.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime