Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Health & Fitness / Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Last post by T42 on Today at 01:58:29 pm »
Hmm.
I was on Omeprazole for years.

2 doses a day of slow release, it was expected to gradually build up. I found less than 24 hours before it was noticeably beneficial.

I suspect that your gastro expert was thinking of non-slow release omeprazole. the slow stuff is capsules filled with granules; these are coated and release gradually, so there is a sustained dosage throughout the day.

No, her idea was to bung up, at one fell swoop, the proton pumps that proliferate at night and pump out H+ ions all day, so that the stomach doesn't have as many available to make HCl.

Trouble with that, AIUI, is that the H+ ions don't get exported from the mitochondria and so bugger up the electron transport chain.  Not quite sure how the lack of H+ outside interferes with the action of clopidogrel (platelet production depressor) but it is much misliked by any other *ologists who want a free hand to dose you.

I was on a different slow-release PPI twice a day, but she reckoned the dose and timing were all to cock and re-imposed her original *zole with a change of timing.  I've been on her recommendations for two days now. Result: bright red sore throat this morning and pain further down.  I don't fancy another night like that so I'm tweaking things a bit today and will recalibrate tomorrow.  I've been on PPIs since 2007 so I'm fairly used to that kind of shenanigan now.
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 01:56:06 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 03/28:
53/53 words (+8 bonus words)
🎯 In the top 25% by accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 103

Has everyone else lost interest in this one?

I played https://squaredle.com/xp 03/28:
24/24 words (+4 bonus words)
📖 In the top 11% by bonus words
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 01:53:28 pm »
Low-echelon Gammon windbag Darren “Crafty” Grimes is up in arms about these:

…even though they’re not sold in the UK.
The Pub / Re: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 01:45:49 pm »
I discovered that my sister has taken the opposite approach; her passport expired, she had no plans to travel abroad in the near future, so she didn't renew it. Which means that when she does eg go to visit her friends in Germany, she'll have to apply for a new passport and it will definitely be valid. At least until it isn't. She has, of course, a driving licence and probably other proofs of existence if needed.
« Last post by andrewc on Today at 01:34:12 pm »
And the hateful catheter is gone  :thumbsup: . Hopefully it won't be back for years  :-) .  Thank you all for the support and advice. You have helped me keep slightly sane  :P

“Sane” & “Cycleman”.  Words rarely used in the same sentence…..
« Last post by matthew on Today at 01:31:04 pm »
Given the sunshine this morning I wish you well on your ride.

This post did not age well, it has been raining ever since.
« Last post by Kim on Today at 01:28:51 pm »
See, that's the thing.  I've barely travelled abroad as an adult, a passport being what you use to prove your identity when you don't have a driving licence.  Which means that the first thing I'd do if I were going to travel abroad so is check up on TEH RULEZ, particularly those that might have been affected by The Event.
« Last post by Kim on Today at 01:23:21 pm »
Congratulations!
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Today at 01:22:52 pm »
This ’10 year passport rule’ issue seems to be in the news.
I got D a new passport in 2022 for that reason.
It wasn’t new then and it certainly isn’t now!

It pops up every few months in case we all missed it the countless times it been mentioned before.  If anyone wasn’t aware of it, they’ve been living in a cave or never travel abroad.
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by Kim on Today at 01:22:35 pm »
Similarly, I completely lost interest in gaming when I realised there was a nearly endless list of more interesting things you could do with computers.  Every now and then someone shows me a gaming thing and I'm awed on a technical level[1], but I can't maintain interest.

[1] Much to the bemusement of TLD (who is presumably a proper grown-up by now) inna bunkhose in *checks notes* 2013.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10