Author Topic: ultra small sleeping bag or equivalent  (Read 8520 times)

ultra small sleeping bag or equivalent
« on: 12 April, 2019, 01:17:33 pm »
I am wanting to do more longer trips, generally solo, so looking at some extra gear.  I have a Hunka bivvy and just invested in a thermarest which seems excellent.  Snugpack 2 just seems big!

I do not want panniers.  I have a large Alpkit seat post bag the Koala in the regular size.  I cannot remember if this was the 13 litre.  I also have an alpkit medium frame bag.  I can see how I will fit hunka and thermarest into the frame bag but the sleeping bag would take up all of my space in the seat post bag.

Would I be better off getting a lightweight down jacket which would do two jobs or is there a thinner lighter emergency bag people would recommend?

If the answer is do not start from here, then that is fine as well.

I am not really looking for total comfort but a bit more safety and warmth.  generally i would aim to stop at B&B or hotel if planning a stop.

Re: ultra small sleeping bag or equivalent
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2019, 01:26:43 pm »

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2019, 01:29:27 pm »
Most bikepacking use the handlebars to store the sleeping bag, though some ultra-racers prefer the seat pack as it's used less often..

I bought one of these which seems to work fine (in the limited back garden bivvy nights I've had) packs down very well, just over 3L

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072M4FNLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Regards,

Joergen

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »
Hi Chris. I've been in a similar situation to you kit wise.

I also have a Koala 13 litre and my sleeping kit for 3 separate nights last summer was - Alpkit Hunka Bivvy bag with this sleeping bag which packs down really small - http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/highlander-trekker-superlite-travel-sleeping-bag.html?

This took up less than half of the bag so worked well for me. For this year I have added Alkpit Numo sleeping mat but haven't tried this yet

I think the idea of a down jacket is a good one and I would consider this as an alternative

Cheers Richard.

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2019, 03:59:08 pm »
There exists a thing (called an "Elephant's foot", I think) which is sleeping bag that comes up to your waist, the idea being that you wear your down jacket on the top half of your body. Used for very lightweight Alpine bivvies. May be too warm/expensive for what you want.

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2019, 05:00:19 pm »
Really depends on how warm you run and what layers you plan to wear inside the bag. Silk liners are very small and boost the warmth of most lightweight bags.  Silver backed fleece blankets can be doubled up over you if you have a decent mat to insulate from below.  Down bags are super light and warm but expensive. Richard's bag seems very good value for the money if it is warm enough.

Anecdote.  Back in the 90's I was traversing the main Skye Black Cuillin ridge with a couple of mates. One just had a down jacket with his bivvy bag for the midway sleep.  We were due to set off again at 6am but he woke us up every 30 mins or so from about 4am telling us it was time to get moving.  It wasn't he had just underestimated how cold it gets in the mountains overnight in the summer and his down jacket was inadequate.

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2019, 09:27:12 am »
My light-but-usable setup is

SOL Escape bivy - 105g
Cumulus 150 quilt (like a bag without an underside or hood) - 150g
Thermarest neoair xlite small (3/4) - 207g

I've slept in that setup at least 50 nights. It's brilliant - doesn't feel like a compromise at all.

When my mate Tom was frist back on BB200, he look just an SOL emergency bivy (only borderline reusable) at 99g, figuring if he was in the shit, he'd be able to sleep in it. I keep one when out for a ride in case I crash in horrible conditions.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2019, 06:34:45 pm »
The specs of that Decathlon bag say "Folded dimensions: Ø 17 x 34 cm. Volume 8 L".  That is rather a lot IMO. Then again, it has a comfort rating of 0 degrees and it is dirt cheap for a down bag, so not unexpected.

For "audax bivvy use" (ie. I expect to sleep for ~ 3 hours with temperatures > 5 degrees) I'd go with a synthetic "10+ degrees" quilt.

Adding a light sleeveless down vest to a minimal bag/quilt gives a lot of flexibility: worn during sleep, still wearing it when you get up / pack your things; maybe wear it while cycling when the night is much colder than expected, using it to stay warm while fixing that puncture, etc.

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2019, 10:25:04 pm »
For those not wanting to use down, Decathlon does a non down sleeveless vest for less than € 10,-

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2019, 08:54:32 am »
I'll be camping in Scotland, West Coast adn Isles in about 4 weeks. 

I have a tarp, Hunka, foam mat and an old british military "green worm" sleeping bag which I think will be just far too warm as it's intended for arctic use. 

Is best option
1) Bivvy bag with a silk sleeping bag liner
2) just the sleeping bag with no bivvy bag
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2019, 09:53:17 am »
I'll be camping in Scotland, West Coast adn Isles in about 4 weeks. 

I have a tarp, Hunka, foam mat and an old british military "green worm" sleeping bag which I think will be just far too warm as it's intended for arctic use. 

Is best option
1) Bivvy bag with a silk sleeping bag liner
2) just the sleeping bag with no bivvy bag

midges

I would go for the bivvy with liner. Actually, I'd take a sleeping bag as well, but then I'm a wuss.

You need to be able to seal yourself away from the midges.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2019, 10:20:51 am »
Snugpak's Travelpak sleeping bags have built-in midge nets over their face opening.  You do need to find some way of keeping it away from your nose or else put plenty of repellant on your face as otherwise they can bite you through the net, but it'll stop midges getting down into the bag to bite the rest of you, and the bags aren't unduly expensive.

To the OP, I see you have a Travelpak 2.  If you want to reduce the weight/bulk a bit, how about being unimaginative and going for a Travelpak 1?

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2019, 10:32:59 am »
Snugpack jungle bag may suit

https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags/jungle-bag

Comfort 7c, low 2c and packs to 15cm x 18cm.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #14 on: 26 June, 2019, 10:50:18 am »
I think that's the same as the Travelpak 1 but not a mummy bag. 

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #15 on: 26 June, 2019, 12:09:42 pm »
Instead of having one super light and posh sleeping bag, I have two cheap decathlon ones which are more for sofa surfing. But doubled up they are pretty good and you can pack them separately instead of as one big lump.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #16 on: 26 June, 2019, 12:42:46 pm »
Cumulus 150 quilt (like a bag without an underside or hood) - 150g
I'd want a warm 150g quilt - but sadly for that weight you only get the filling, complete it weighs 380g
http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-systems/quilt-150-475150?gid=53&vid=7

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #17 on: 26 June, 2019, 04:24:59 pm »
Paul your post reminds me of something I bought for my brother a few years ago called a woobie https://taskandpurpose.com/why-the-woobie-is-the-greatest-military-invention-ever-fielded

800g but for insulation purposes it is the dogs danglies.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #18 on: 27 June, 2019, 08:38:20 pm »

You will be lucky to be warm enough in the green slug also once known as The Prince of Wale's Own on account of them both only having three feathers.
It is also incredibly bulky 🙂
Never knowingly under caffeinated

ElyDave

« Reply #19 on: 27 June, 2019, 09:32:28 pm »
That was my other thought, it weighs a tonne. But as I'll be carting it around in the green beast that's not an issue.

TBH though mine still has most of its filling and is boody toasty.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #20 on: 28 June, 2019, 07:15:24 am »
Yeti VIB 250, comfort at around 5-9 celcius,
packs to a size at approx.2 liters.
I've used mine for 5 years now, without problems.

ElyDave

« Reply #21 on: 06 July, 2019, 02:29:17 pm »

You will be lucky to be warm enough in the green slug also once known as The Prince of Wale's Own on account of them both only having three feathers.
It is also incredibly bulky 🙂

Green worm and Hunka - sweating my bollocks off to the extent that I ditched the Hunka and was perfectly comfortable in just the worm with no foam mat on my lawn.

That may be perfect for winter but for this trip, I'll be heading for the snugpak I think.

« Reply #22 on: 05 December, 2019, 08:17:34 am »
So, I’ve entered an ultra race (RATN) and am looking at sleeping gear... it got down to 2degrees last year and I sleep pretty cold on audax rides so I’m looking for something pretty warm with hood but packs down to a tiny size....

Bag wise I’m considering a remortgage & one of these:
Sea to summit spark sp2
Theramrest Hyperion 32 UL
Western mountaineering HighLite

Any opinions or options I’m missing?

Thanks

« Reply #23 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:40:21 am »
So, I’ve entered an ultra race (RATN) and am looking at sleeping gear... it got down to 2degrees last year and I sleep pretty cold on audax rides so I’m looking for something pretty warm with hood but packs down to a tiny size....

Bag wise I’m considering a remortgage & one of these:
Sea to summit spark sp2
Theramrest Hyperion 32 UL
Western mountaineering HighLite

Any opinions or options I’m missing?

Thanks
Have you looked at PHD: https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/down-sleeping-bags?osCsid=srepcftj70d7pea7mro0klse84 ?

Hugh

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #24 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:49:44 am »
2 degrees is pretty cold

For PBP and summer activities I was using in various combinations

Alpkit Numo 403g, cost 45
  Sol Escape Lite bivvy bag 165g, cost 50
  Rab Module 100  500g, second hand cost I think 100 quid (don't remember)

The Numo and the Sol Escape Lite bivvy are the lightest things you will get in this price range.
The Rab Module is warm, not sure if it would do 2 degrees

I have a spreadsheet with various options.  These are mostly for summer and not 2 degrees but you might find some useful info there

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QjOZttzZnxd_ceRT_880DAY_bKxn6QIs78mGPHXQhYE/edit?usp=sharing

I've also used an Alpkit Airo 180 self inflating mat ( a tiny bit heavier and not as comfy as the Numo but quicker to inflate ) and an Army surplus Goretex bivvy (weight and pack size was a problem)  See https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2018/07/01/old-and-new-lightweight-camping-gear/
for size comparisons