Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951719 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9725 on: 26 December, 2021, 11:35:09 pm »
The Battle Of The River Plate, which I haven't seen for years.  Anthony Quayle hams it up to the max and Peter Finch plays the "good German" who never gives the Roman salute and is generally nice to everyone.  They omit the fact that he shot himself on top of a big swastika flag a couple of days later, just like Kessler from Secret Army.

Only Roman if you believe C18 French painters. OTOH US schoolchildren did use it, in the religious ceremony of saluting the flag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellamy_salute
The Olympics had a similar salute, the French team got a rousing reception for doing it in 1936.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9726 on: 27 December, 2021, 07:30:44 am »
No Time To Die.  Not impressed.  Weak plot, hopeless villain (Rami Malek wasted here), too many revelations that will need to be fixed in the next reboot.

It started well and went downhill quite quickly.  Still, Q has one of the best examples of HollywoodOS I've seen.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9727 on: 27 December, 2021, 10:01:58 am »
Not a film, the HBO mini-series Chernobyl.
Superb viewing.   :thumbsup:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9728 on: 27 December, 2021, 05:34:36 pm »
Spider-Man - no way home.

It whiled away a couple of hours on a wet bank holiday Monday in a pleasant enough fashion.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #9729 on: 28 December, 2021, 12:52:58 am »
But Kessler survived for a poorly received sequel.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081885/reviews?ref_=tt_urv   

I've vague memories of "Secret Army" being something my parents watched, but can't remember much about it.   My main memory of the sequel was that John , from "The Tomorrow People" was in it.
Yes, Kessler escapes at the end of Secret Army with the help of his mistress.

The problem with Secret Army these days is that most people will have seen its direct parody ('Allo 'Allo) first.  When Secret Army first came out, it was watch-from-behind-the-sofa stuff.

Just watched the first 3 episodes back to back.  That's good stuff. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9730 on: 28 December, 2021, 07:08:46 am »
"Don't look up". I quite enjoyed this. All far too believable.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9731 on: 28 December, 2021, 09:39:11 am »
Half of The Admirable Crichton.  1957, with Kenny More not being a WW2 pilot for once, but with me baling out halfway with corn overload. Any more and I'd have had a foie gras.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9732 on: 28 December, 2021, 11:18:26 am »
We finished The Muppet Christmas Carol about an hour ago and we're about to start The Princess Bride.

Christmas Eve tradition for the last few years being maintained.
Last movie I saw (at the cinema!) sing along muppet Christmas carol.  Excellent.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9733 on: 28 December, 2021, 01:25:38 pm »

Whatched this last night.  While completely unsubtle it was less cringeworthy-slapstick than I anticipated, mildly funny and wholly depressing.  I assume it's getting such bad reviews because the reviews are written by journalists.

« Reply #9734 on: 29 December, 2021, 05:26:48 am »

Whatched this last night.  While completely unsubtle it was less cringeworthy-slapstick than I anticipated, mildly funny and wholly depressing.  I assume it's getting such bad reviews because the reviews are written by journalists.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the Guardian's review. Must have hit a sore spot.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #9735 on: 29 December, 2021, 06:14:18 am »
Fire Maidens of Outer Space, commonly considered the worst sci-fi ever made.  ::-)

« Reply #9736 on: 29 December, 2021, 08:12:51 am »
West Side Story (recorded on my Tivo box and watched over three days).

« Reply #9737 on: 29 December, 2021, 02:40:50 pm »
Fire Maidens of Outer Space, commonly considered the worst sci-fi ever made.  ::-)

Amazingly, the cheapest price that I can find it for, on optical media, is over £20. There's clearly a demand for bad science-fiction, but I'm really not that curious!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #9738 on: 29 December, 2021, 02:55:33 pm »
The Apartment

Described on Wikipedia as a Romantic Comedy, but at best it's a Romantic Dark Comedy. It's not a film I'd come across before, probably because of its age, it was made over 60 years ago, but it's impressive and won many awards, including five Oscars (Best Motion Picture, Best Director, Best Story & Screenplay, Best Art Direction, and Best Film Editing).

It's a relatively feel good film, but very dark in many places, mostly alleviated by Jack Lemmon's light comedy style, and definitely worth watching. The quality of the Bluray restoration is very good (2018 disc), Fred MacMurray is also impressive, and whilst Shirley MacLaine does a good job, her character seems a little simplistic. The cinematography and music is quite excellent, and the story has elements such as adultery and suicide, which are very adult by modern standards, and were probably a lot more outrageous when the film was originally released.

(The trailer, doesn't really do justice to the film).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #9739 on: 29 December, 2021, 02:57:40 pm »
Had a bit of an  Agatha Christie marathon yesterday as they were all on TV.

Witness for the Prosecution
Death on the Nile
Evil Under the Sun
Murder on the Orient Express (the newish one with Kenneth Branagh)

I had never seen Witness for the Prosecution before, it's really good Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #9740 on: 29 December, 2021, 03:15:42 pm »
Watched the the best ever Carry On film, for the umpteenth time.  Never fails to amuse

(click to show/hide)
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9741 on: 29 December, 2021, 03:27:51 pm »
Watched the the best ever Carry On film, for the umpteenth time.  Never fails to amuse

(click to show/hide)
Kenneth Williams was brilliant as the Khazi.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9742 on: 29 December, 2021, 03:36:00 pm »
The back end of The Admirable Crichton. Not as bad as I expected - quite OK, in fact, for 1957.  Noticed that K. More, for all he was the heart-throb of the age, was positively weedy compared to actors these days.  Quite comforting, when I regard my own thready biceps.

Don't Look Up. Wanted to strangle some of the characters so I suppose the message got across.  Thought the Graun crit was churlish, IOW up to editorial standards. Should be compulsory viewing for journalists & [w]anchors everywhere.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9743 on: 29 December, 2021, 03:51:19 pm »
Been working our way through the Avengers series in chronological story order. We got about 20 to go, so it might take a wee bit of popcorn.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #9744 on: 29 December, 2021, 04:54:09 pm »
The Apartment
One of my favourite films. Seen it many times.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9745 on: 29 December, 2021, 06:31:40 pm »

(click to show/hide)
The Dining Scene (under fire) may be my favourite comedy scene ever.

But do you think it's better than Screaming? I'm not sure ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9746 on: 29 December, 2021, 06:42:10 pm »
Do you mind if I smoke ...

Overall I vote for the Khyber because of all the silly names and taking the piss out of simple minded British Empire patriotism.

(click to show/hide)
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9747 on: 29 December, 2021, 06:58:48 pm »
Went The Day Well?
Made, and set,  in 1942, it tells the tale of German paratroops, disguised as British Army sappers, taking over a village.

Remarkably blood thirsty and pretty amazing given the date it was made, we get to see a very young Thora Hird, Janette Scott (her daughter, playing her daughter) and Patricia Hayes. The village church, where a lot of the action takes place, found fame in later life in The Vicar of Dibley. 

Based on a short story by Graham Greene, the parallels between it and The Eagle Has Landed are very strong. IMDB claims it inspired Jack Higgins to write his book which was then made into the film.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Pedal Castro

« Reply #9748 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:35:47 pm »

Amazingly, the cheapest price that I can find it for, on optical media, is over £20. There's clearly a demand for bad science-fiction, but I'm really not that curious!

I saw it when flicking through the TV guide so put it on record but missed the first 10 minutes so when I watched it this morning it didn't have the bit I wanted to see so found it on you tube and watched the beginning.

£20 was probably the production budget.  ;D

Pedal Castro

« Reply #9749 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:39:11 pm »

(click to show/hide)
The Dining Scene (under fire) may be my favourite comedy scene ever.

But do you think it's better than Screaming? I'm not sure ...

I would have said Carry On Screaming but you best me to it. Not seen the Khyber for a very long time though so that's my job for tomorrow.