Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951703 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9850 on: 15 February, 2022, 08:17:09 am »
Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Bigbug.  Thought at first it was going to be crap but it ended up being bloody funny.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9851 on: 17 February, 2022, 07:34:27 am »
Dune  (again).  Still a bit slow, but also still very good. Looking forward to pt 2.

« Reply #9852 on: 17 February, 2022, 12:01:16 pm »
Battleship. 2012.  Well, it's alien invasion, rammed with cliches, but quite entertaining.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9853 on: 17 February, 2022, 08:47:18 pm »

Uncharted
Erm, no. My disbelief did not remain unsuspended. Way too much bending of the laws of physics, biology... Common sense?

« Reply #9854 on: 20 February, 2022, 02:27:15 pm »
Last Night I watched Vengeance Is Mine and Nobody

Very similar, both involve an unlikely guy becoming a surprisingly adept drug-gang-killer, managing to kill all the bad guys while suffering a few knife wounds. But one is a big budget Hollywood film with famous people in and the other is a relatively unknown British film. The British one is substantially better in so many ways.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #9855 on: 20 February, 2022, 02:39:20 pm »
Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Bigbug.  Thought at first it was going to be crap but it ended up being bloody funny.

Ah, I'm a massive fan of Jeunet and Caro. I'll have to look this up.

« Reply #9856 on: 20 February, 2022, 06:31:07 pm »
So far, so shite...

25 minutes in. French women shouting. I'll give it 10 more minutes.

« Reply #9857 on: 20 February, 2022, 07:44:59 pm »
"The Third Man" again.  Wonderful photography & a superb cast. A happy ending would have spoilt it. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9858 on: 20 February, 2022, 07:46:10 pm »
So far, so shite...

Yeah, not for me. French slapstick humour, with lots of clichéd shouting neurotic women

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9859 on: 21 February, 2022, 10:55:01 am »
So far, so shite...

Yeah, not for me. French slapstick humour, with lots of clichéd shouting neurotic women

Too bad.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9860 on: 21 February, 2022, 01:54:51 pm »
Shell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(film)

Slightly uncomfortable viewing. Felt a bit like a big-sky cinematography US movie with a Ry Cooder soundtrack transplanted to the Scottish Highlands.

« Reply #9861 on: 21 February, 2022, 03:28:25 pm »
So far, so shite...

Too bad.

Yeah, not my thing. All other Jeunet films have been fantastic. Have you seen MicMacs?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9862 on: 21 February, 2022, 04:25:52 pm »
So far, so shite...

Too bad.

Yeah, not my thing. All other Jeunet films have been fantastic. Have you seen MicMacs?

No - I haven't seen many, just the ones with Audrey Tatou, Amélie Poulain and Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles.

Just watched the trailer for Micmacs. Looks like fun.

« Reply #9863 on: 21 February, 2022, 04:30:43 pm »
Definitely worth a watch.

City of Lost Children is stunning, but it is a lot heavier and needs focus.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9864 on: 21 February, 2022, 04:40:02 pm »

Ah, I'm a massive fan of Jeunet and Caro. I'll have to look this up.

Tried to hang in but gave up. The SFX and characters were boring and annoying in equal measures....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9865 on: 21 February, 2022, 05:15:53 pm »
Definitely worth a watch.

City of Lost Children is stunning, but it is a lot heavier and needs focus.

We missed out of a lot of French films while the Inlaw Paw was living with us. He didn't enjoy reading subtitles and we didn't enjoy films dubbed into English, so we largely ignored French cinema. We have a lot of catching-up to do.

« Reply #9866 on: 21 February, 2022, 05:42:34 pm »
So far, so shite...

Too bad.

Love MicMacs.

Very french. A film filled with slapstick that is quite dark.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9867 on: 21 February, 2022, 08:45:36 pm »
"The Third Man" again.  Wonderful photography & a superb cast. A happy ending would have spoilt it.

Possibly my favourite film. I'd seen it on TV as a kid but it was only when I saw it in the cinema that I appreciated how brilliantly shot it was. It's basically a western, set in Europe. Brilliant stuff.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ian

« Reply #9868 on: 04 March, 2022, 09:25:34 pm »

Uncharted
Erm, no. My disbelief did not remain unsuspended. Way too much bending of the laws of physics, biology... Common sense?

It was awful wasn't it? I didn't realize it was a video game franchise movie, but as the genre expectations go, it limboed under them with delectable ease. Mostly carried by Tom Holland being Tom Holland. I saw it a week ago and I've already forgotten 95% of it.

Someone suggested I go see The Batman (the definite article) tomorrow. Why not, I think, I can go and then grab a curry with friends afterwards. Just glanced at the running time...

« Reply #9869 on: 05 March, 2022, 10:42:30 pm »
Bill and Ted, Face the Music.  I hoped that it wouldn't tarnish the legacy of the previous movies, not being crap would have been a positive outcome, half decent above expectation.
(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9870 on: 06 March, 2022, 02:21:58 pm »
A brilliant Belgian (I assume) documentary called Ni Juge, Ni Soumise, anglicized as So Help Me God which is a bit beside the point. Stars a real Belgian investigating magistrate confronted with a succession of (mostly) thickos who shouldn't be out without a collar & lead.  Had us chortling.

Here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5501158/

ian

« Reply #9871 on: 07 March, 2022, 11:25:20 am »
The Batman.

In the quest for darker and darker, the franchise has gone complete emo, there's even eyeliner now. I have no idea how this fits into the Justice League universe or whatever, but I suspect no one does at this point, they just wanted to do another Batman movie.

I sort of expected to dislike it, but it's actually not too bad. There's a very gritty Gotham, a late 80s era NYC, besieged with crime that the Batman isn't doing much about. Did I mention dark and gritty? I think it rains in every scene. Even indoors. There's no comic relief. Admittedly, the problem I always have, is at the end of each very serious scene a voice in the back of my head says but he's a man who dresses as a bat, ian. This is, I suspect, Batman's most tragic failing. He's a man who dresses as a bat.

It's longer than some geological ages, so train your bladder or be prepared to re-use your popcorn bucket (make sure you've finished the popcorn first). They pack a lot in, admittedly, but there are a lot of those long drawn out moody scenes (he's a man who dressed as a bat, ian). Plus it ends, then ends some, then ends, a sort of rolling bladder teaser that's intended to make you leak a little.

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9872 on: 07 March, 2022, 01:00:54 pm »
The rot set in with Tim Burton making Batman dark.  The Adam West series was the pinnacle of batman perfection (at no point did we risk forgetting that he was a man dressed as a bat), and anything that isn't Lego-based satire is doomed to pointlessness.

« Reply #9873 on: 09 March, 2022, 11:05:22 pm »
The Way Way Back

Great comedy from the makers of Little Miss Sunshine, and its as good. Some very cool bike content too. Highly recommended

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9874 on: 09 March, 2022, 11:16:09 pm »
You Only Live Twice

Apart from the slowness, the lack of CGI and the era related inappropriateness, it was a good evening's watch.
It is simpler than it looks.