3 (5.1%)
No, I use a turbo at home
1 (1.7%)
Yes, but I don't like it
10 (16.9%)
Other - please specify
9 (15.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Are you a member of a gym?  (Read 9780 times)

bobajobrob

Are you a member of a gym?
« on: 08 May, 2008, 12:04:27 pm »
Well, are ya?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Are you a member of a gym?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:08:52 pm »
I was a member of a gym for a couple of months in 2004

I think it might have done some good for my leg strength but its hard to tell

I decided that I enjoyed the bike ride to the gym more than being in the gym

So, given that it had no effect on my fitness and that it was a fairly dull experience I will not be using a gym again and dont recommend it to others

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:19:10 pm »
I was for the duration of a winter a couple of years ago. I don't like cycling at night in winter when it's chucking it down, so would normally go for a run. I don't like running either, but I can tolerate 45 minutes of it.

Then I did my knees in (for about the zillionth time) and couldn't run. So I joined the local gym.

It was quite a nice place, but I just found it so depressing. It was also massively expensive when you think about it. I doubt I'll join another.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:24:10 pm »
I'm a member of 2 gyms.

The work one costs me £1 a month, but it is a tiny airless room in the basement, but it does mean I can go for a run on the treadmill at lunchtime.

The other one is the local council-run leisure centre with a good sized swimming pool and lots of cardio-vascular machines (however I rarely use them). Not bad at £47 a month given that the other gyms in the area are about double that price and either have a tiny pool or none at all.

Need to get back into the swimming as it really did help my general level of fitness last time I did it regularly.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:24:36 pm »
I have been a member of a gym near home for two years... but I've never been into it.   :-[
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

bobajobrob

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:28:11 pm »
I have been a member of a gym near home for two years... but I've never been into it.   :-[

I bet they love people like you ;D

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:33:48 pm »
I was a member for a while but I hated it apart from the pool and liking a few of the classes, so I joined www.britmilfit.com for a while and enjoyed that quite a lot until my knees started complaining loudly (it's quite high impact stuff) so I decided to just stick to the cycling for now as that is gentler on my knees.

I did enjoy the military fitness classes though, it was cheaper than the gym and much more effective and sometimes almost fun...

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:40:45 pm »
I'm not as I can't stand gyms and when I get there I just look at the machines and can't figure out how to use them (even with the trainer standing next to me).

My attitude is that we're supposed to do 30 minutes exercise a day.  I have a 30 minute sprint to work in the morning and up to an hour's fast cruise home (longer route).  That's much more than I should be doing according to the gubbingment, and I get my exercise in whilst doing the commute (which is quicker than had I driven). 

I have better things to do with my time than go to a smelly gym.

Regulator

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:43:36 pm »
Ah - but gyms have fit men in!   :P

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:44:20 pm »
And that is designed to appeal to nutty in what way?  ???

;)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:45:20 pm »
Used to be - used to be a big clanky weights and grunting fellow, and loved it.  Hefting around big lumps of iron is good for my soul.

The triathlon training now is time-consuming enough that I don't use a gym.  The small amount weights I want/need to do I can do at home, and I've never been one for classes except to ogle the totty from the back.  8)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:52:33 pm »
I have been a member of a gym near home for two years... but I've never been into it.   :-[

They call those kind of members "profit".

I pissed away £1680 (£70 a month for two years) on a gym I went to twice. That's a Condor Gran Fondo Ti frameset. *ARRRRRGH!*

« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:55:34 pm »
I have been a member of a gym near home for two years... but I've never been into it.   :-[

I pissed away £1680 (£70 a month for two years) on a gym I went to twice. That's a Condor Gran Fondo Ti frameset. *ARRRRRGH!*
Why on earth didn't you cancel your membership, Reg and GB?  :o

« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:56:51 pm »
The same reason I didn't go to the gym: Apathy.

It's in the past now anyway, can't change it.

« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:58:54 pm »
I've never bothered - exercise for the sake of exercise has always bored me.  I prefer games (eg football, badminton) and cycling, where you get the sense of taking part in something or going somewhere.

I may change my mind if I had a definite fitness goal to achieve, however.

« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:04:04 pm »
And that is designed to appeal to nutty in what way?  ???

;)

I'm slightly worried...   and he does keep mentioning me and my fettlin' in his posts...

I have a crush on a certain gentleman on this here forum - but I shall spare his blushes by not naming him.

;D ;D ;D :-*

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #16 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:12:24 pm »
I am a member of the Uni gym. I go to the classes once a week, and occasionally go at other times.

Lots of kit, large fitness studios (Basketball court sized), and lots of unfit people so I feel quite good.

The classes do an all round range of exercises so get me fit in ways which both contribute to (core strength) and complement my cycling (un)fitness.

And there is a 25m pool.

And totty.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #17 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:23:58 pm »
The Green Gym sounds interesting.

Jakob

« Reply #18 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:06:29 pm »
Yes, over the last 2 winters I've worked with a personal trainer in preparation for kendo exams and major competitions and it's been invaluable.
Boring as **** on your own, though

Regulator

« Reply #19 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:08:03 pm »

Why on earth didn't you cancel your membership, Reg and GB?  :o

'Cos I get mine free!   :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2008, 06:11:15 pm »
Yes

It's boring but necessary to get my shoulder back into a condition
so I can ride the long rides again.
One good thing are I've improved the strength in my legs,
Before : 140 kg now  220 kg in 45o  leg press.  :demon: :demon:

gus

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:20:10 am »
I'm a member of Fitness First which I use on average twice a week, mainly for the cross trainers and sauna.  I use the gym at my rugby club for a heavy session on a Tuesday night, followed by several recovery pints.

I'm now joining a council run sports centre gym to have a Monday night social workout, followed by a few beers.

I've found that the best way I can justify [to myself!] my beer consumtion, is to hit the gym first.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

annie

« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:46:52 am »
Yes, have been for as long as I can remember.  I enjoy myself when I visit the gym, I workout with a friend, I set the programme and we stick to it for around 6 weeks before I change it again.  I do use free weights and do the majority of my weights on the stability ball or using the medicine balls.

In the winter I use the treadmills and cross trainer.

It is what I make of it and as I see the benefits I continue to go, normally 3 times a week.  At the moment we run outside and then use the gym afterwards.

« Reply #23 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:53:50 am »
No.  Shift work always got in the way of exercising and the cost was prohibitive.
Cycling has been my access to regular exercise, health and well being.
I would rather be out there in the wind and rain now.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:57:11 am »
No when I started cyling to work I realised that I was getting more benefit from that and resigned my hardly used gym membership.

I do use a gym when I'm travelling for work (in fact I threw an almighty strop when my company tried to put me in the only hotel on our 'approved' list without a gym) but find it hard to exercise for more than 30 minutes before boredom sets in.