Author Topic: Recovery after 600Km  (Read 7274 times)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
Recovery after 600Km
« on: 08 July, 2008, 09:03:40 am »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...BUT...

How long do others typically take to recover from a 600? 

I was hoping to get myself back on the bike for some "light" riding today, after the weekend's 600, but my legs are absolutely shot still.  I cannot remember ever feeling this sore.  I guess that is normal?

I was even contemplating trying to locate a sports masseur to help.  Energy wise I feel OK now, but my quads are literally sore to even the slightest touch - interestingly my hamstrings, calves and my back (which I did have problems with last week) are fine.
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Elleigh

Re: Recovery after 600Km
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:06:30 am »
I have only ever done one 600km ride.  I was shattered for about a week and did not start riding again for about 9 days.  It took a fortnight or more before I could do distances (40 - 50 miles) and that was a struggle

I'm sure other, more experienced, 600 km riders will have some better advice for you about recovery :)

« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:10:30 am »
I am riding again the next day. Not recovered but able to ride. My first 600 took me I'd say a month to recover from properly, my last, a week or so. I was so much fitter. Even when your legs feel OK take it easy, you will not be fully recovered.

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:16:46 am »
I rode home after my BCM this year.  That was my first 600.  I was amazed at how good I felt, but as I do a lot of miles in the week anyway, perhaps that helps?  I also took the BCM easy and didn't do any silly strenuous moves or breaks etc.  I could tell that during the event I was riding within my limits so I expect that helped too.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:16:53 am »
It gets easier the more you do.

I tend to have the Monday off work.  Not because I really need it, but because there's nothing nicer than a lie in after finishing a 600 on the Sunday evening.  I get up late morning and eat a pile of eggs.  Usually, I crave protein and as a vegetarian, it's eggs, nuts and cheese in various combinations.

After my first BCM600, stairs were very definitely off the menu for a couple of days, but this year it was okay - I was feeling much more recovered by Monday night.  I usually feel that lovely achey, I've-been-cycling-a-lot-and-I'm-a-bit-of-a-hero feeling in my thighs for about three or four days after, but nothing painful and nothing that stops me riding to work if I want to.

After PBP, I didn't ride for at least a fortnight, but that was more down to soreness and not wanting to than any real muscular stuff.  These days, I reckon to a day or two off the bike and then gentle commutes and recovery rides.

After TRAT (LEJOG in six days) the week before last, we finished on the Friday and by Tuesday I was doing my club evening training loop with no problems.

I'd have thought that sports massage (or just some good stretching or yoga) would help, but I'd not worry.  The more long rides you do, the easier the recovery gets.  Teethgrinder tends to look at a 600k as a recovery ride - a tough weekend involves at least a 1000k  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:25:10 am »
I did my first 600 in May.  I didn't ride my bike for over a week.  I stopped aching after a few days but I just lost the urge to cycle for a while. Mentally exhausted due to lack of sleep I think.

I'm sure like any distance you get used to it but I think, initially, 600km rides take a couple of weeks to fully recover from.  It's like a working week spent on a bike, it must take its toll.  

Sounds like your legs are really sore, Id be tempted to go for a walk, a swim or a very easy ride, just to loosen up.

Congrats on your 600 anyway.  If it didn't hurt everyone would do it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:28:39 am »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...BUT...

How long do others typically take to recover from a 600? 

I was hoping to get myself back on the bike for some "light" riding today, after the weekend's 600,
My first tip - don't spend a whole day off the bike!

Sorry, but I think it's a mistake to let everything seize up for 48 hours. Unless you are actually injured you ARE capable of riding gently for an hour, and it WILL help. (Also cheaper and less painful than massage).
Watch what the pros do on the "rest day" of the TdeF.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:37:45 am »
It gets easier the more you do.

Yup (within reason, of course). Gentle pedalling does ease the muscles. My legs are stiff first thing in the morning and if I've been sitting for a time — but that might just be age.

I had a day of visitors and important meetings yesterday - not ideal after a 600. I managed to stay awake, though it was a struggle after lunch.

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:22:56 am »
Thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated.  I am really, really sore, but it is getting better.  I've not done anything since the end of the ride, other than drive for 4 hours yesterday to a meeting, and the bike needs some serious TLC first before I do anything else.

I think I'll take the general advice and go out for a slow 1 hour spin today on the flat.  I am unlucky (or lucky depending on how I feel and your perspective) in that I live at the top of a long steep hill...I may end up getting off and walking for the first time rather than risk doing more damage!

Strangely enough, after thinking that I wouldn't want to do another 600 again, I've already started having thoughts about another one!  Not so sure about LEL now though!!!
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2008, 06:26:30 pm »
Hampshire RC use to organise a 10TT on Monday evening, for some reason after riding a 600km at the weekend my 10 times were not good.
spun the legs out thou

« Reply #10 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:37:39 pm »
Teethgrinder tends to look at a 600k as a recovery ride - a tough weekend involves at least a 1000k  :D

The day after my first ever 600, I went to work and felt terrible. I was told that I looked like I'd done 10 rounds against Tyson. My eyes were swollen and red and my arms, legs and hands were tired and sore.
They got easier in time. But if you start doing them every week they catch up with you if you don't rest enough. Going to work slows recovery down.
I can ride 600k with no bother now. It does help that I am quick enough to sleep on a 600 though and a 600 in the winter takes more out of me than a summer 600. But I would brush off an easy 600 now as if it were a 100 mile ride.
We all have different recovery rates and it improves with fitness, but you lose it with age.

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:41:42 pm »
Teethgrinder, it makes me feel better about hobbling up stairs after my first 600 to know you felt rough after your first 600.

« Reply #12 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:46:56 pm »
Teethgrinder, it makes me feel better about hobbling up stairs after my first 600 to know you felt rough after your first 600.

Good!
Maybe you'll enjoy my next Arrivee article about my first attempt at a ride longer than 600km. I wanted to get that story in to give those who couldn't finish PBP or whatever, some hope and show them that it doesn't have to be their ending.

« Reply #13 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:49:06 pm »
We all have different recovery rates...

there you go. 

If it takes a day, it takes a day...if it takes longer, etc.   

Maladict

« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2008, 12:30:34 am »
In general after long rides (400km+) I find that my thigh muscles are tender.  The longer the ride, the worse.  After my first 400km event, I thought I had recovered by the Wednesday but then I seemed to relapse a bit and was sore again on the Friday.

Now I seem to be reasonably OK on the Wednesday following a 600.  Though for various reasons so far I have only completed one 600 this season so far.

Of course this means that on a 1200 I am riding the second half on legs that I would probably not fancy cycling to work on.  Madness!  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2008, 05:54:44 am »
But, as Charlotte said:

"I usually feel that lovely achey, I've-been-cycling-a-lot-and-I'm-a-bit-of-a-hero feeling in my thighs"

That is one of the best feelings I reckon.  :thumbsup:

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #16 on: 06 August, 2008, 01:53:07 pm »
I've completed 2 600s in the past 3 weeks (600, weekend off, 600). Like the OP i found on both occassions my thighs to be VERY sore. This is something I do not get on shorter rides (400k or less). However, once this calms down after a few days (I normally find this DOMS to be worse 2 days after the 600) I feel I can get back on the bike. I tend to go spinning on Thursdays so use this as a gauge of my recovery - I've not found that I have any less energy on a spin so far after doing a very long ride the previous weekend as opposed to bugger all, so I guess I am 'fully' recovered after, say, 4 days. Technically, i probably am not, but I feel ok.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #17 on: 01 September, 2008, 11:14:24 am »
I depends on the conditions and the difficulty of the ride

For example when I did the "Bridge Too Far" 600 in July afterwards I felt fine.  Certainly tired and the odd ache but I was ok to ride short distances.  After a few days of recovery rides I was doing fast hill rides the next weekend.

Last months DIY 400 was a different story.  I was out of commission for everything except slow plodding for about two weeks.  Superfically both rides were similar, a few hills but not too many and a bit of rain.  However the DIY meant extra stress from riding alone and the amount of rain was considerably more.

« Reply #18 on: 01 September, 2008, 11:36:55 am »
However the DIY meant extra stress from riding alone...

I don't find solo riding any more stressful. In fact less so sometimes.

Elleigh

« Reply #19 on: 01 September, 2008, 11:59:51 am »

I find it depend on the desired outcome.  If I doing training rides, trying to build fitness, distance or speed, then I like to ride alone.  But on the (only) 600k I did, I was thankful to be riding with someone.  They kept me going when I wanted to give up.  I felt an obligation to them to keep riding.  Silly I know.

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 01 September, 2008, 12:58:59 pm »

I find it depend on the desired outcome.  If I doing training rides, trying to build fitness, distance or speed, then I like to ride alone.  But on the (only) 600k I did, I was thankful to be riding with someone.  They kept me going when I wanted to give up.  I felt an obligation to them to keep riding.  Silly I know.
Not silly to me.

I find that people tend to go through 'low-points' at different times on the longer rides.

On my (only) 600 I towed Richard Phipps for a while during the night as he went through a bit of a tired spell and he towed me the final 30km back home when I was totally spent.

Much easier for me to keep pedalling through the bad bits when there is some company to distract me from the misery.

« Reply #21 on: 16 October, 2008, 11:25:28 am »
just want to offer my thoughts into this.

after doing  massive 600km, you body/legs are likely to be very exhausted. depending on whether you've manged to fuel correctly (fluids, carbs and protien)  It's likely that your carbohydrate stores are depleted.
I would estimage a requirement of 600kcals per hour, and a mix of carbs/protein at 4:1 such as High5 4:1 supercarbs (its also an isotonic)

This will also provide  a steady supply of carbs and protein and reduce muscle wastage and leave you feeling not so sore the next day and speed up your recovery.

glycogen levels are low and your nervous system is likely to be very taxed.  It's at this point you are susceptible to colds/viruses so it's important to keep warm and eat a good mixed and varied diet, small portions of carbs, protien and vegetables every 2-3 hours, when I say small, i mean a hand full or so of each group, eat little and often.

This does two things, supplies your body/liver/muscles with a steady supply of fuel to restore it's reserves, which can typically take a few days after complete depletion, and provide your body with the energy it needs to fulfil your basal energy requirements.

In real terms, 600k/ 375 miles is at least twice as long as some of the longest classics races which pro's do (like Roubaix, Amstel Gold,etc) but it's important to get good recovery and fueling.

Joe Beer's pod casts have got some very good snippets for recovering, such as alternate warm/cold leg dipping to the bath/shower, this can alleviate muscle soreness/stiffening after the event and aid recovery.
Drinking cherry juice also has antioxidants which flush out the lactacte and help with recovery.

Weighing yourself before and after the event will give you an idea of how much fluid you have lost, typically 1kg per 1 litre, so you should have a good idea how much extra you need. Being fully hydrated before the event helps tool (your pee should be straw coloured)

Try daily stretching to alleviate any muscle soreness and try some low intesity static riding after 2-3 days. I know guys who've ridden the ironman who've felt 'flat' after 2-3 weeks recovery so it's important to listen to your body, most of all get plenty of rest.

« Reply #22 on: 16 October, 2008, 01:11:35 pm »
I think your body gets used to exercise. Way back when, I used to fall asleep in the office on a Monday after a long event. Nowadays it doesn't affect me that much. I've done six 600s this year (more than my usual allotment) and haven't had a day off work.  Perhaps age has something to do with it; I haven't got the power I had when I was younger, but the endurance seems, if anything, to have improved.

« Reply #23 on: 16 October, 2008, 08:48:14 pm »
I think your body gets used to exercise. Way back when, I used to fall asleep in the office on a Monday after a long event. Nowadays it doesn't affect me that much. I've done six 600s this year (more than my usual allotment) and haven't had a day off work.  Perhaps age has something to do with it; I haven't got the power I had when I was younger, but the endurance seems, if anything, to have improved.

They say that you have more stamina when you are a little bit older, but your power output goes down.
You are in your prime for long distance riding.

You do get used to it. I was wrecked after my first 600. A 600 now is just a leisurely weekend.

« Reply #24 on: 16 October, 2008, 09:38:54 pm »
'Tis true.

Look at the average age of the top sprinters. (early 20s)
Look at the average age of the top marathon runners. (mid 30s)

Audax being completely amateur isn't directly comparable but the general principle applies (and there will always be individuals that are the exception to the rule).

The older you are the better you'll be at grinding out the miles.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."