Author Topic: Brian Cookson for UCI president  (Read 9439 times)

Brian Cookson for UCI president
« on: 03 June, 2013, 03:09:16 pm »
Working my way up to inferior.

Re: Brian Cookson for UCI president
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2013, 11:14:58 pm »
there are more details on the British cycling WEBKINS SITE . Mr cookson would get my vote .
Its More Fun With Three .

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2013, 11:41:50 am »

« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2013, 12:34:54 pm »
I think so too, as some of the Swiss Fed are turning too.

However, with old boy networks like this you never know. It's not a meritocracy.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2013, 01:22:02 pm »
It's a chumocracy - it depends on old friends and is soon full of sharks.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2013, 03:41:37 pm »
Its the 'behind the scenes' influence that Hein Verdruggen may still wield that worries me. P McQ was his protege, and some say is still his sockpuppet.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2013, 12:18:00 pm »
McQuaid nomination has been defeated at Cycling Ireland EGM by 91 to 74. 

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »
McQuaid nomination has been defeated at Cycling Ireland EGM by 91 to 74.
Didn't he expect this and is going to be nominated by Switzerland as he lives there?

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2013, 05:48:13 pm »
Well, it's all a bit murky.  According to Pat he has already been nominated by the Swiss Federation.  But that is being challenged by the ubiquitous Jamie Fuller and the Swiss national coach because they contend that a vote did not happen. Meanwhile, David Walsh is reporting that the last UCI management committee was  somewhat stormy, because Mike Plant, a US delegate, presented a report on PMcQ he had commissioned from hired investigators.  Said report features, amongst other things, his relationship with LA.   

« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2013, 04:24:22 pm »
It's been hinted that there was a vote of no-confidence in Pat McQaid at said meeting, though there is no news as yet as to the result of the vote.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/could-pat-mcquaid-face-a-vote-of-no-confidence-at-uci-management-committee
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mike-plant-publicly-ends-his-support-of-pat-mcquaid

Velonation are reporting that three members of the of board of Swiss Cycling - not just the former national coach - have taken legal action concerning the McQuaid nomination:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14766/Buergi-Galli-and-Calcagni-combine-in-legal-action-against-Swiss-Cycling-over-McQuaid-nomination.aspx

Interesting times...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2013, 08:28:13 pm »
At least he is saying something useful about women's cycling in his manifesto.  Hope he delivers if he gets it.
http://www.briancookson.org/files/6313/7208/9499/Manifesto_BC_English.pdf

« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2013, 09:06:30 pm »
I think we're about to witness a house of cards falling down.  It's been a long time coming..

It's interesting, but not surprising, to see the retesting of '98 tour urine samples revealing across-the-board EPO use.  Laurent Jalabert is the first to be named and it seems more will follow.  I'd be slightly sad about Fignon and very grumpy at Lemond if the historic retesting continues to earlier years, but not suprised about those either.

More worryingly I think we will see a lot more tests from this and last season prove positive now that new tests are being applied.  It will potentially provide a very rough early ride for the next UCI president - and I have no doubt Verbruggen and his hand puppet FP are doing all they can to suppress as much as they can for as long as they can.

The good thing is that it looks increasingly unlikely that FP will get reelected now.

« Reply #12 on: 24 June, 2013, 09:37:16 pm »
Interesting interview with McQuaid on Irish radio.  The interviewer is well informed on his subject, and while McQuaid dodges around in that politician-y way he has, a couple of blows are landed.

« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2013, 12:29:45 am »
Great stuff! 

More than a couple of blows, I'd say - many of his answers were total gibbering drivel.  McQuaid was clearly a floundering wreck through most of that interview, and has just about dug his own grave with this latest display of imbecility.

« Reply #14 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:28:28 am »
Does anyone know if Cookson gets on with Verbruggen?  Will he get booted far into the long grass if Cookson becomes president?  That's what is needed, but I wonder if it would happen?  I don't really understand the background power base of the UCI setup and how the cycle industry interfaces with it.

« Reply #15 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:49:29 am »
Cookson says that HV has not been attendance at any of the committee meetings that he has attended.

There has been an amusing development. Cookson has put out his manifesto. No overt crit of Phat, but some clear indications of things that need changing. One of which is that UCi should hand over anti-doping to a totally independent 3rd party, and that it should be a long way away from the presidents office (at present the anti-doping office is a few paces from Phat's office in the same building)

Phat has issued a retort attacking every single one of Cooksons proposals (rather than saying what he would do) including the above, saying that the UCI would love to devolve anti-doping but it is against WADA rules.

WADA have issued a reply saying that it isn't.

You couldn't make this stuff up. All Cookson has to do is sit back and let Phat do his work for him.

« Reply #16 on: 27 June, 2013, 03:03:38 pm »
inrng's analysis of the independence issue from a couple of months back.

So it already is 'independent' of the UCI. (But the two organizations share a building.  And a president)

« Reply #17 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:22:56 am »
Rumours that certain UCI board members have asked MQ to remove his candidature.

Apparently they have compromising material they will release if he doesn't

« Reply #18 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:35:38 am »
And Armstrong would, no doubt, be willing to give more information unless he has some way back into limited competition which he might get via a truth and reconciliation process.

« Reply #19 on: 30 July, 2013, 07:22:25 am »
Meanwhile, a desperate FP, whose nomination is at risk of bring nullified due to the lack of support from his home nation, tries to change the rules halfway through the election process...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/10210128/Rivals-clash-over-battle-for-presidency-of-the-International-Cycling-Union.html

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 30 July, 2013, 10:14:55 am »
I wonder what they're saying in Switzerland though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 30 July, 2013, 11:30:40 am »
That's pathetic.
Getting there...

« Reply #22 on: 30 July, 2013, 11:47:44 am »
As Flatus says up-thread, you couldn't make this stuff up. If it wasn't so serious, it would be absolutely hilarious.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #23 on: 02 August, 2013, 09:43:45 pm »
Well it went through.  I can  only imagine he's promised the asian Feds who are supporting him lots of lucrative brown envelopes races in coming years if he gets reelected.

It really is time for mutiny.  It's our money that talks and the cycling community just needs to find a way of saying that the UCI under FP will make them spend their money elsewhere.

In the miraculous, but increasingly likely, result of FP being reelected, I picture a breakaway  organisation to  take over governance for road racing, at least in Europe.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 02 August, 2013, 11:38:36 pm »
Why at least in Europe? The way the UCI is structured, a candidate who does well in Europe is pretty likely to win the whole thing as Europe has 14 votes out of 42, the next biggest are Asia and America with 9 each. Cookson is talking about winning support in Oceania and Africa but that's only 10 votes altogether if every delegate from those two continents votes for him. And FP's nomination in Switzerland shows he can count on some support in Europe.

A breakaway would be good for many reasons, but would also be in danger of appearing elitist at a time when cycling is spreading out from its traditional European base. A bit like football, no longer a Euro-Latin monopoly, as FIFA recognises. Hard to say which of the two is more corrupt though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.