Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 2465195 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #21625 on: 19 August, 2017, 09:02:43 am »
Feeling glad I bought a refurbished laptop!

I'm now on the Isle of Skye for the week, staying at Ullinish.

I had a nice walk out to Oronsay last night (wasn't sure of the tides, so didn't risk the tidal causeway out to the island)
Got back to the studio flat. Used darktable / hugin / gimp to quickly process some of the photos. 

Now I'm watching the rain browsing os mapping online, planning where to cycle to today! I think I'll be heading for the Coral Beaches north of Dunvegan.  :thumbsup:

Did I remember to pack a usb cable for hooking up the extrex 20 to the laptop though?  ???

-- edit -- Yes I did, yay!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21626 on: 19 August, 2017, 09:20:11 am »
No, not envious of you at all Brian. Nope. Not at all.

Git.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21627 on: 19 August, 2017, 09:21:57 am »
Getting ready to take part in a bicycle race  :o

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #21628 on: 19 August, 2017, 09:40:00 am »
 :o indeed!

We are eating brioche and drinking hot chocolate in the Den, since we spectacularly failed to get ourselves to France as we had hoped to do this week.  Trains to the Gironde are painfully expensive, I have discovered.

« Reply #21629 on: 19 August, 2017, 09:44:20 am »

Isn't cycle racing dangerously close to 'gym' classification?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21630 on: 19 August, 2017, 09:55:05 am »

Isn't cycle racing dangerously close to 'gym' classification?

I know.   :-[

I'm hoping to not fall off my bike, mostly.  Choosing to wear a red jersey on the basis that they go faster might have been a tactical error in that respect.

« Reply #21631 on: 19 August, 2017, 10:13:27 am »
Just enjoy it like I used to enjoy running marathons.  I was never in it to win it!    :o

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21632 on: 19 August, 2017, 10:36:40 am »
Wow, hope you enjoy it Kim!
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21633 on: 19 August, 2017, 06:04:10 pm »
I didn't fall off, and I think my lungs might forgive me eventually.  That's a win in my book.

Bloodyhell those fast boys are FAST.

« Reply #21634 on: 19 August, 2017, 07:57:37 pm »
Listening to John Coltrane & Miles Davis , cooking Osso Buco & drinking the cooking wine.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #21635 on: 19 August, 2017, 08:50:22 pm »
I didn't fall off, and I think my lungs might forgive me eventually.  That's a win in my book.

Racing on the velodrome? Hardcore. (I had a couple of goes in the velodrome a while back but failed the accreditation thing and have no desire to try again. It's a terrifying place. :o)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21636 on: 19 August, 2017, 10:09:24 pm »

Racing on the velodrome? Hardcore. (I had a couple of goes in the velodrome a while back but failed the accreditation thing and have no desire to try again. It's a terrifying place. :o)

Indeed.  A group of us had a go a couple of years ago, during which I decided that the experience would be greatly enhanced by a sensible bike with more appropriate gearing and a seat[1].  As the BHPC had opened up just such an opportunity to non-members it seemed rude not to.

I conclude that given a lowracer I can achieve an almost respectable speed[2], with some reduction in TEH FEAR on account of familiarity with the bike.  I still don't have the lungs for racing, thobut.

[1] Not helped by them failing to advertise the existence of a secret stash of women's saddles for the track bikes.
[2] ETA: Results just in

« Reply #21637 on: 19 August, 2017, 10:21:22 pm »
For a neophyte 3rd & 4th looks pretty impressive  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21638 on: 19 August, 2017, 10:32:16 pm »
Yes, it turns out that unfaired lowracers are faster than handcycles and track bikes...

« Reply #21639 on: 20 August, 2017, 03:27:31 pm »
Sat on the second floor balcony of a 16th century house in Pezenas where Mollier once stayed drinking a glass of the local rouge.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #21640 on: 20 August, 2017, 08:18:46 pm »
Watching Harry Potter on ITV

BrianI

« Reply #21641 on: 20 August, 2017, 08:26:54 pm »
No, not envious of you at all Brian. Nope. Not at all.

Git.

Thanks!  ;D

While my trip to the Fairy Pools today was a muddy wash out, I fair enjoyed my couple of hours on Talisker Bay  ;D  Once I figure out how to upload an mp3 to youtube, I'll put up some audio recordings I made with my sound recorder!

« Reply #21642 on: 20 August, 2017, 09:03:22 pm »
Talisker, eh? Well, what I'm doing is being glad I'm sat down, as in an idle moment I googled what I'm drinking. I've had it a while, fair enough, but still. https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/23029/talisker-1957-bot1970s-gordon-macphail

And, if anyone is interested, nectar of the gods. There's still another good drop in the bottle. I think I'll save it.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #21643 on: 21 August, 2017, 08:26:40 am »
Watching a group of blokes unload a wagon full of our lives. Yes we have, finally, moved in to our new home!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21644 on: 21 August, 2017, 10:06:36 am »
Talisker, eh? Well, what I'm doing is being glad I'm sat down, as in an idle moment I googled what I'm drinking. I've had it a while, fair enough, but still. https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/23029/talisker-1957-bot1970s-gordon-macphail

And, if anyone is interested, nectar of the gods. There's still another good drop in the bottle. I think I'll save it.

I don't know what the fuss is about. Whisky doesn't age in the bottle.

As to what I'm doing, I'm sitting still so that the damage from yesterday's ride doesn't hurt any more than it has to.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21645 on: 21 August, 2017, 10:12:11 am »
Trying to write a report on the success or otherwise of an energy performance contract.

« Reply #21646 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:39:32 am »

I don't know what the fuss is about. Whisky doesn't age in the bottle.

As to what I'm doing, I'm sitting still so that the damage from yesterday's ride doesn't hurt any more than it has to.

Nope, but equally it doesn't bottle age, so this is in effect a 20-ish year old whisky; when I bought it the price was commensurate with a very special bottle of that age. As to the current price? Well, it is unique (obv) and most entirely excellent. As to being sufficiently different to warrant that price? nah.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #21647 on: 21 August, 2017, 05:10:07 pm »
Feeling glad I bought a refurbished laptop!

I'm now on the Isle of Skye for the week, staying at Ullinish.

I had a nice walk out to Oronsay last night (wasn't sure of the tides, so didn't risk the tidal causeway out to the island)
Got back to the studio flat. Used darktable / hugin / gimp to quickly process some of the photos. 

That is an impressive walk from Skye. Last time I walked to Oronsay it was from Colonsay (and we were paranoid about the tides so went a bit early and got a bit damp.)

ETA: I didn't realise there were two Oronsay islands. Both accessed by a tidal causeway.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

BrianI

« Reply #21648 on: 22 August, 2017, 10:32:29 am »
Getting kit organized for a bike ride from my accommodation in Ullinish to Portree via some forest gravel tracks! (as recommended by the hubby of the owners of the accommodation) - he has a garage full of fat bikes and gravel bikes, and he fair admired my 8 year old dawes horizon in gravel mode with 42mm schwalbe land cruisers!

BrianI

« Reply #21649 on: 24 August, 2017, 09:28:51 pm »
Just saying "Good Night" to Skye, before traveling home tomorrow  :'(

A nice weeks holiday, even if a bit lonely at times  :-[
Drove to Elgol today. Stunning location, even if hoaching with tourists!