Author Topic: Christmas cheese list...  (Read 8438 times)

border-rider

Re: Christmas cheese list...
« Reply #25 on: 18 December, 2008, 10:50:05 pm »
Erm, we seem to be awash in Port.

We overbought, then people gave us more.  Best overbuy the Stilton....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 18 December, 2008, 10:53:21 pm »
Swaledale & Coverdale are particularly creamy.
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #27 on: 19 December, 2008, 08:38:15 am »
It's interesting how cheeses that I always thought of as run-or-the-mill are now available at decent quality, and can taste sublime.  We get an organic Cheddar in our veggie box, and it is one of the best British cheeses I've ever had.  It's very, very strong and packed with character.  It gives the French artisanal cheeses a run for their money, for sure

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 19 December, 2008, 08:55:21 am »
I have to give a big shout out to Red Leicester.  I used to hate it - all sweaty & plastic.  But the quality has made such a leap forward in the past twenty years that, now I am reintroduced to it, I am a convert.

Cheddar - a decent Cheddar - ought to have a place on every cheeseboard.  As should a creamy cheese such as Brie or Camambert, and a little bit of blue (for the dads? ;) ) - even humble Stilton has it's place.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #29 on: 19 December, 2008, 09:17:05 am »
Fruit in cheese.

Is it wrong?

*admits to a seasonal taste for white stilton with apricots*

Not wrong at all.

I do find however that it leads to a dangerous Red Wine - Apricot Stilton - Red Wine... 'Loop'

FYI.  There is likely to be a severe "Stinking Bishop" shortage very soon as it features again in the Wallace and Grommit film at Christmas.

I've just got my supply in.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 19 December, 2008, 09:21:56 am »
Fruit in cheese.

Is it wrong?

*admits to a seasonal taste for white stilton with apricots*

White Stilton with apricots is not wrong at all.

I'm less sure about the proliferation of Wensleydale with whatever happens to be around...

And, on the subject of adding things to cheese, some people may have forgotten the lurid green mint cheese I bought a couple of years back.  I certainly haven't :sick:
Getting there...

« Reply #31 on: 19 December, 2008, 09:24:40 am »
There will be some Vacherin, some Stilton, some 10 year old Gouda, maybe some mature local single Gloucester.

« Reply #32 on: 19 December, 2008, 10:23:51 am »
I confess, I never actually tried Blue stilton  :-[ (AFAIA), was always put off by the smell and appearance, but, I'm going to get a bit of Colston Bassett and give it a go - my Dad can always finish it off.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Really Ancien

« Reply #33 on: 19 December, 2008, 10:39:54 am »
Booths, our local supermarket does 90 types of cheese, including 27 types of Lancashire, a cheese which is completely different outside Lancashire, the stuff elsewhere is a fairly recent imitation of Cheshire and Wensleydale. So I'll probably get some Lancashire Tasty. There are some technically illegal cheeses produced from unpasteurised milk, but they are fairly low profile.
Booths food stores North West, Booths food stores UK, Food stores Lancashire, Food stores Cheshire, Food stores Cumbria, Food stores Yorkshire

Lancashire - Cheese Makers

Damon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #34 on: 19 December, 2008, 10:46:03 am »
I'm normally very grudging in giving respect for anything Lancastrian, but I have to say that their cheese is very good. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #35 on: 19 December, 2008, 10:59:50 am »
Booths, our local supermarket does 90 types of cheese, including 27 types of Lancashire, a cheese which is completely different outside Lancashire, the stuff elsewhere is a fairly recent imitation of Cheshire and Wensleydale. So I'll probably get some Lancashire Tasty. There are some technically illegal cheeses produced from unpasteurised milk, but they are fairly low profile.
Booths food stores North West, Booths food stores UK, Food stores Lancashire, Food stores Cheshire, Food stores Cumbria, Food stores Yorkshire

Damon.

What is the law on this exactly?  I suppose any possible Listeria, is AFAIA 'only' really a problem for the young, old, pregnant & immune suppressed.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #36 on: 19 December, 2008, 11:02:59 am »
I think unpasteurised cheese is legal in the UK - it's banned in NZ and Australia, but they're very keen on banning things over there! (If you think we have a safety obsessed culture...)

I loooove unpateurised, very ripe brie.

Really Ancien

« Reply #37 on: 19 December, 2008, 11:21:13 am »

Damon.

What is the law on this exactly?  I suppose any possible Listeria, is AFAIA 'only' really a problem for the young, old, pregnant & immune suppressed.

My confusion, all Lancashire used to be made with unpasteurised milk, now it's three Farmhouse makers, Kirkhams being the best known. Lancashire - Cheese Makers

The 'illegal' cheesemakers continue to use wooden vesels and stirrers.

Damon.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 19 December, 2008, 11:42:26 am »
Even my Sainsbury's pseudoParmesan (Italian Grated Hard Cheese) states 'Made with Unpasteurised Milk'. I'm sure that's legal.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #39 on: 19 December, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »
Haven't decided what we're having yet but I shall be going down to Neal's Yard in Borough Market to see what they've got - though judging by what I saw through the window when I walked past earlier, it seems to be mainly Colston Bassett Stilton - great big wheels of the stuff piled floor to ceiling.

I'll probably pop into Brindisa while I'm there to see if they have some nice manchego and membrillo as well - I'm not a big fan of fruit in cheese, but membrillo is ver nice, especially with manchego.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tiger

« Reply #40 on: 19 December, 2008, 09:11:44 pm »
I think the desires of the cheese aficionado can be satisfied with precisely 4 cheeses. Less is more here.

The first - essential is the unpasteurised soft 'plastic' mature brie de meux - before it goes amoniac but after it has firm form. This is to my mind a sublime sensory experience that has not been beaten by any imitator. Port or quince enhance one of the best things life has to offer. There is nothing to compare and no cheeseboard is complete without it. If all else fails this is the only cheese that you truly need. 
Second - a fine classic stilton of creamy nature with an undertone of blue intensity. Colston Basset - or others -  does the job.  The round is important so one can slice it into nice segments. Presentation is key in cheese.
Third - a little roquefort. Sharp and salty but giving way to an explosion of sweet fulsomness. Only a little is needed but it provides a real taste difference.
Lastly - a dry aged cheddar - basically it wraps up all the UK hard cheeses offers into a single masterpiece. The other UK hard cheeses are not really as deep.
Cheese with stuff added or dipped in shit are novelty items. What annoys me is that it is impossible to assemble the above in any UK supermarket - yet I am offered 1,000 varieties of 'cheesy flavoured added value crap' instead. The absolute worst at this are M&S. Not a real piece of cheese to be had in there. 

I have not been able to buy   

« Reply #41 on: 19 December, 2008, 10:37:22 pm »
I confess, I never actually tried Blue stilton  :-[ (AFAIA), was always put off by the smell and appearance, but, I'm going to get a bit of Colston Bassett and give it a go - my Dad can always finish it off.
Let me know if he's struggling  :thumbsup:

Clarion >:(  Stilton, humble?  :hand: It is the undisputed King of Blue Cheeses and arguably vies for the title of KING OF ALL CHEESE  ;D

Pass the Port someone...

border-rider

« Reply #42 on: 19 December, 2008, 10:50:22 pm »

Pass the Port someone...

That can be arranged.

« Reply #43 on: 19 December, 2008, 10:53:23 pm »
It's interesting how cheeses that I always thought of as run-or-the-mill are now available at decent quality, and can taste sublime.  We get an organic Cheddar in our veggie box, and it is one of the best British cheeses I've ever had.  It's very, very strong and packed with character.  It gives the French artisanal cheeses a run for their money, for sure
Cheddars very popularity and flexibility of use meant that Cheddars of various types are made all-over.  Much of it is mass-produced and fairly young and uninteresting, great for kids and fine for sarnies and cooking.  As you've found out, good Cheddar really is making a comeback and it comes in a wide variety of flavour with a lot of complexity, and variety of texture.  I did a Cheddar tasting with a buyer and technologist at M&S and we spanned the flavour spectrum from heavy Marmite tones through to light brite apple cider fragrances.  Some smooth, some coarse and some with lovely Calcium Lactate grittiness!

« Reply #44 on: 19 December, 2008, 10:54:26 pm »

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #45 on: 19 December, 2008, 11:02:50 pm »
I shall be taking the bike on the annual cheese hunt. To Macdonalds cheese shop in Blairgowrie. This year I may take the long way round.

I shall get:

Some Brie or similar.
A really good aged cheddar.
Something blue, probably a good stilton.
Something else, whatever takes my fancy.

Not cheap but perfectly kept and very tasty.
..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 19 December, 2008, 11:06:37 pm »
Something old
Something new
Something different
Something blue...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #47 on: 19 December, 2008, 11:24:13 pm »
There is a cheese shop in Otley... :P
Getting there...

Chris N

« Reply #48 on: 20 December, 2008, 08:55:11 pm »
I've got some Colston Bassett organic Stilton, and some Long Cawson.  It'll be interesting to compare them.

Got the Colston Bassett from the deli and some Long Cawson from the market.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the differences.  Also got some vignotte (something creamy instead of brie) and some cheddar.

« Reply #49 on: 20 December, 2008, 08:59:14 pm »
Roquefort
Brie
Crottin
Ashdown Forest Smoked
Double Gloucester
Oxfor Blue

The last 3 are organic, and two are vegetarian. From our local "Farmers" market (Tring). The Roquefort and Brie from the French (in bothe senses) chees lady in Wendover market.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)