Author Topic: Nutella..  (Read 8890 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Nutella..
« Reply #25 on: 05 July, 2010, 04:32:30 pm »
Nutella used to come in handy jars that made glasses IIRC.

I wish more products would do that.

Still does in Italy. Most of our tumblers are nutella jars

...all mine are Hoegaarden glasses.   :-[ ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #26 on: 09 September, 2010, 08:32:02 pm »
Lord, give me strength!

LIDL is selling 750g jars of the stuff for £1.85.

Must... not... eat... 750g... of... Nutella... in... one... sitting...

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 09 September, 2010, 09:50:02 pm »
Unless there's another jar for tomorrow!  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 11 September, 2010, 11:14:58 pm »
Sainsbury's have 2 x 400g jars for £2.50 or £1.78 each and 750g jars for £3.04.
A 200g tumbler is £1.20.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 11 September, 2010, 11:30:53 pm »
The 2 x 400g looks good value. One to eat today, one to save for tomorrow.

:P ;D :-\

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #30 on: 11 September, 2010, 11:37:51 pm »
I can't eat Nutella...

It makes my teeth hurt.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 12 September, 2010, 12:18:31 am »
I can't eat Nutella...

It makes my teeth hurt.

I thought tooth pain with sweet things was a sign of decay...

« Reply #32 on: 18 September, 2010, 09:01:19 pm »
Lived abroad for a few years and could never get used to sweet stuff at brekkie. e.g. 'hundreds and thousands' however seems a bit of sugar in the morning can do you good so dunno.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 06 February, 2011, 06:43:36 pm »
Yesterday I spotted a jar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk Spread on the supermarket shelf. I succumbed. Today I tried it.
 :sick:
Quite foul. A total waste of Ł1.99. I should have either spent a bit more and got Nutella, or (more sensibly) spent less and got some decent jam.

The taste, by the way, is nothing like Dairy Milk chocolate, which at least is chocolatey and oversweet. This is just sickly and strangely cloying while having virtually no real chociness. In fact, I've just checked the label and it contains "milk chocolate crumb (7%)" (third ingredient) then way down towards the bottom of the list "fat reduced cocoa", while "vegetable oil" is the second ingredient. And it's not even made by Cadbury's, but by Chivers Hartley Ltd, which presumably is another part of the Kraft empire, in Belgium.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:12:23 pm »
And now I have real Nutella. Or rather I had. A 400g jar finished up today; I bought it on either Saturday or Sunday. Silly, silly boy, stop doing this!

ravenbait

« Reply #35 on: 17 February, 2011, 12:24:05 pm »

Not necessarily. More likely to be a sign of receding enamel, which has as one cause over-enthusiastic brushing.

I believe it's caused by strong osmotic gradients.

Sam

« Reply #36 on: 17 February, 2011, 12:30:06 pm »
Foul stuff.  Contaminating perfectly good chocolate with nuts should be a crime.

+1

Sainsburys dark chocolate Belgian spread used to be nice, not had any for years...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:03:08 pm »
Don't tempt me!

Clandy

« Reply #38 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:23:50 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #39 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:27:39 pm »
Yes.  ;D

I thought it was disgusting.  :sick:

Seems it's Nutella for the win, but I do want to try this Sainsbury's Belgian Dark Chocolate spread. I do, but I don't, cos I might just end up eating the whole jar in a flurry of spoonfuls.  :-[

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #40 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:42:53 pm »
I honestly don't see a problem there...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #41 on: 19 February, 2011, 03:52:23 pm »
Chivers Hartley Ltd, which presumably is another part of the Kraft empire, in Belgium.

No. It's part of Premier Foods. Premier Foods - Home

Why would anyone want to try an alternative to nutella?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 19 February, 2011, 10:23:33 pm »
You can rest assured I won't be trying that alternative again.

But I did notice the Sainsbury's Belgian Dark Chocolate Spread on the shelf right underneath the Nutella the other day. However, I resisted, and bought neither! (Well, it's gonna take an age to finish up this Cadbury's stuff - and I didn't want to give Little Cudzo, who was with me at the time, the impression that Daddy lives off this stuff! Oh, it's true is it? Ok then... )

But that Chivers site... Jam in a squeezy bottle? That ain't jam, that's a pale imitation of jam. It doesn't even bear the same relation to jam that an Apollo full-boing "MTB" with chrome-steel rims and sidepull brakes bears to a bike!

English needs more words to describe jam-type products. We have conserve and preserve, which denote rather classy stuff, but we need something similar to the distinction Polish usefully has between dżem (real jam, with fruit) and marmolada (chemical stuff where any resemblance to fruit is due to colourings and synthetic flavourings, and the consistency is, well, such that you can squeeze it out of a bottle easily). But the missing word in English is not marmalade!

« Reply #43 on: 19 February, 2011, 10:49:45 pm »
Fruit flavoured spread is the phrase you're looking for.
I can just picture it. Not toast, with fruit flavoured spread and butter-like spreading fat on white not quite bread warmed just enough to colour. Yum.  :sick:

You can't knock Premier too much though- they make Branston Pickle (right here in Bury St Edmunds).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 19 February, 2011, 11:01:50 pm »
Branston Pickle's good, though a bit vinegary for my taste. But shouldn't it be made in <gogols>any one of Burton-on-Trent, Inverurie, Goole, Sussex, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire or Rotherham? Ok, so that's like expecting cheddar cheese to be made in the Gorge. As long as it doesn't become branston-type nonbrewed-condiment mixed-veg-flavoured preserve!

I'd love to hear that there's a centuries-old folk tradition of leaving a jar of Branston on St Edmund's grave on the anniversary of his death each year. Or that such a tradition has now been created...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #45 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:44:09 pm »
Oh god, oh god, oh god - teh husband has bought Nutella, with lemon and currant pancakes. I scoffed down six of this lovely combination and then the husband decided to put the nutella on the highest shelf. Is this going to stop a 5ft 1 inch welsh woman? No it bloody well is not. Another gorgefest with the pancakes.

Please don't bring nutella into the house again husband, you won't see any of it  :(

Clandy

« Reply #46 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:44:55 pm »
Nutella used to come in handy jars that made glasses IIRC.

I wish more products would do that.

Still does. Only now they change the design occasionally so you get a nice little set of tumblers (if you eat that much Nutella).

Am sitting here now drinking scotch and coke from a Nutella tumbler. :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #47 on: 26 February, 2011, 11:28:46 am »
I once had a Mars bar-flavoured vodka, which was surprisingly tasty. I wouldn't like to drink more than one though, I'm afraid the vodka-sugar-caramel combo would do nasty things. Needless to say, my Polish friends were horrified at the idea.

« Reply #48 on: 26 February, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »
I once had a Mars bar-flavoured vodka, which was surprisingly tasty. I wouldn't like to drink more than one though, I'm afraid the vodka-sugar-caramel combo would do nasty things. Needless to say, my Polish friends were horrified at the idea.

I do a shockingly addictive cocktail with vodka, After Eights and little bit of butter (stops the chocolate seizing when you add the vodka). Like a mint choc alcopop.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #49 on: 26 February, 2011, 02:51:29 pm »

Not necessarily. More likely to be a sign of receding enamel, which has as one cause over-enthusiastic brushing.

I believe it's caused by strong osmotic gradients.

Indeed.  Mars Bars are often cited as the worst offenders.

As well as overbrushing, the causes of enamel erosion include acidic soft drinks (Coke and Diet Coke have a fair bit of phosphoric acid in them, and citrus juices are also quite aggressive).  Foul as it sounds, it's apparently better to drink orange juice *after* brushing your teeth in the morning, as the enamel is softened by it but can re-mineralise if left alone.  If you drink orange juice and then brush, as most people do, you actually remove some of the enamel.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.