Author Topic: Duck v goose meat  (Read 1582 times)

Duck v goose meat
« on: 03 January, 2011, 02:54:09 pm »
Anyone know which meat is darker in colour - we were unable to reach a conclusion around the table at a family get together... ;)  I've never had goose (AFAIA).
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Duck v goose meat
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2011, 03:07:32 pm »
Depends how it is cooked. Duck is often casseroled (IME) with orange or some such and is fairly dark. If it's roasted, I think goose is a bit darker than duck. Not a lot in it, though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:08:57 pm »
Goose is bigger. We have it quite a lot in Chinese food, and the taste of the fat is a bit different, but it's still pretty similar. The meat itself looks the same.

Just asked the other half, according to her the skin pattern is different, and the head if still attached is different.

Roast Goose

Skin of roast goose, apparently the net pattern on the skin is more evident

Roast Duck

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2011, 07:10:27 am »
According to my Mrs Beeton, duck meat tends to be slightly darker than goose, as it has a lower fat content.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:03:29 am »
We have goose at Christmas and duck more or less on alternate weekends through the year.

If you are comparing a properly raised goose with the cheap farmed duck then the goose has substantially more colour. Wild mallard can be very dark.

Prague is good for goose, if you ever visit there.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:40:20 am »
I bought  a goose be accident in the pub last week. The conversation went like this:

Pat do you like goose ?

Don't know never tried it but probably I like duck.

Would you like to try goose ?

Well yes.

Sold ! Someone let me down at Christmas and there's a spare one in my freezer, since it's you I'll chuck in a complimentary brace of mallard.

I'm not even sure how much I am paying for said goose as yet. Ever fely you've been had.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:54:18 am »
I'm sure the goose tastes just as good, but looking at it does nothing for my appetite!

Roast Goose

Roast Duck

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:05:15 am »
Goose is darker and richer/fattier.  On roasting my first goose I removed something like half a gallon of rendered fat from underneath it!  Great for roasties  :P
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:57:31 pm »
I dunno, but we had Goose on Christmas day from Peachcroft and the family are converts... YAY!
Better than Turkey and fab amounts of fat for the spuds.

« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2011, 02:06:26 pm »
I dunno, but we had Goose on Christmas day from Peachcroft and the family are converts... YAY!

I use extra virgin olive oil for the roasties...  O:-)   ;D  We must try goose sometime, the only potential problem is that I enjoy having cold turkey with pickles etc post Christmas day...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2011, 06:17:26 pm »

I use extra virgin olive oil for the roasties...  O:-)   ;D  We must try goose sometime, the only potential problem is that I enjoy having cold turkey with pickles etc post Christmas day...

Easy! Buy a goose for Christmas Day. There won't be a lot left over. Have a turkey on Boxing Day.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:49:28 pm »

Our solution (Mrs FF wasn't totally sold on the Goose idea pre-christmas), ws to cook a turkey Christmas Eve, the Goose cooked on Christmas day andserved-up some Turkey and Ham   :-*.  Boxing day etc, great spread with the pickles!  Yay everybody happy and several Goose converts.

Some pics: Show us yer Christmas! - Cycle Chat Cycling Forums